PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI: Prof. John Leonard: "100% Convinced Deflategate Failed"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything in this article has been discussed here endlessly, but it was well written and it's great to see on the front page of SI.

I'll give a more simple explanation to why we know it didn't happen. There was never any reason to suspect them in the first place. The intercepted ball measured 11.5 per the Colts gauge which matches up to what it should have been.
Then to believe it actually did occur, you would have to believe that Brady, a known perfectionist, would instruct an obese 50 year old part time exployee who constantly clowns around to steal the balls from the refs and rapidly remove an indiscernible amount of air on the floor of a bathroom. And that's after Brady instructed them to provide a print out of the rules to the refs. It's beyond preposterous.

Facts do not change opinions, sadly. It's 100% gospel truth, but it's also a narrative that will believed only by those who choose to read it and understand it. Which is about 0.5% of the football fans who do not already cheer for the New England Patriots.

Facts do not change opinions, sadly. It's 100% gospel truth, but it's also a narrative that will believed only by those who choose to read it and understand it. Which is about 0.5% of the football fans who do not already cheer for the New England Patriots.

Yup, and if they still believe the Patriots cheated, they are too dumb to make sense of anything Leonard wrote.

This is well and good but ultimately pointless because as Deus said, this was never about the truth. This was a corrupt group of owners trying to bring down a team by character assassination. You can watch the NFL but you better know what you are watching - a corrupt league that cannot stand the success of the Patriots. Don't be angry or surprised when there is enough lopsided refereeing to prevent the Pats from winning or if there is another "cheating" allegation. That is just the nature of the game.

The intercepted ball measured 11.5 per the Colts gauge which matches up to what it should have been.

It actually was measured 3 times, by the same person using the same gauge, giving values of 11.35, 11.45, and 11.75 psi. This does indeed average to 11.5 (and 11.32 is predicted), but it also shows that there is a tremendous amount of ERROR in using those gauges.

So, as this article says, the alleged 0.3 psi difference vanishes like a fart in the wind if the gauge that the ref remembers using was indeed used,

But...and this is the kicker...the alleged 0.3 psi difference ALSO vanishes like a fart in the wind even if Walt Anderson actually used the gauge that he thinks he didn't use, because 0.3 psi is way less than the error bar for using one of these gauges one time for measuring each football, as evidenced by the 0.4 psi range of values obtained for testing the intercepted football.

So definitively nothing happened to the footballs if the ref's memory is right, and there is also no reason to suspect foul play even if the ref's memory is WRONG.

It's airtight and ironclad. There is no scientific doubt.

Everything in this article has been discussed here endlessly, but it was well written and it's great to see on the front page of SI.

I'll give a more simple explanation to why we know it didn't happen. There was never any reason to suspect them in the first place. The intercepted ball measured 11.5 per the Colts gauge which matches up to what it should have been.
Then to believe it actually did occur, you would have to believe that Brady, a known perfectionist, would instruct an obese 50 year old part time exployee who constantly clowns around to steal the balls from the refs and rapidly remove an indiscernible amount of air on the floor of a bathroom. And that's after Brady instructed them to provide a print out of the rules to the refs. It's beyond preposterous.

Bingo. Occam's Razor FTW.

I want to like,agree, and mark this post useful, but alas I can not, so I just rated it "winner". You have summed it up beautifully .

This is well and good but ultimately pointless because as Deus said, this was never about the truth. This was a corrupt group of owners trying to bring down a team by character assassination. You can watch the NFL but you better know what you are watching - a corrupt league that cannot stand the success of the Patriots. Don't be angry or surprised when there is enough lopsided refereeing to prevent the Pats from winning or if there is another "cheating" allegation. That is just the nature of the game.
I am in agreement with your take and prediction. In particular, I fully expect that NE playoff and/or SB success will result in additional cheating allegations. Hell, we've already seen since their last SB win allegations of systemic tampering with headsets by a losing head coach and QB on national TV (Tomlin and the Rapjst) in the first game after their SB win. It's not going away because it successfully discredits NE and is accepted by the league and the public at large as truth. Just be ready.

As the saying goes, "you are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts."

Well the NFL* and the haters ate trying their damnedest to prove this wrong.

I just started watching Mr Robot.. the Physiologist asks what disappoints about society.. the guy replies.. people we look up to like Steve Jobs making Billions out of slave children, all our heroes are counterfeit, it then runs of action shots of Lance Armstrong, Bill Cosby and yes you guessed it Tom Brady.

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!

I was going to start watching that show last year when I saw them reference Brady as being one of the biggest cheats ever and I decided they won't get my ratings.

I would challenge Exponent to submit the research to a major peer reviewed physics journal.
their report wouldn't pass a peer review of 5th graders

I just started watching Mr Robot.. the Physiologist asks what disappoints about society.. the guy replies.. people we look up to like Steve Jobs making Billions out of slave children, all our heroes are counterfeit, it then runs of action shots of Lance Armstrong, Bill Cosby and yes you guessed it Tom Brady.

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!
Reason number 6 thousand why Mr Robot sucks.

Of course, the only article I've seen referenced on another fan board is the NYT fluff piece on Exponent.

Last edited:
Goodell will say that Wells proved that there was a conspiracy to deflate the footballs.

By his logic, it's irrelevant the balls were actually never deflated.

I'd love to see a live televised debate between Exponent and actual scientists, with the losers being executed.

Last edited:

This was the final straw at CowboysZone - they hated on the Pats like they were the arch-rival in their division, devoid of the decency that was typical of that team and it's fans, oblivious the Pats are winning using their own playbook and improving it. Just like politics this year, I'm witnessing grown men behaving like kindergartners on the playground. :(

With the passage of time, I hope Brady will look like Galileo - persecuted wrongly. And DeflateGate will be part of the dumpster trash on Goodell's legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back