Seven Things We Learned From Patriots vs Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Seven Things We Learned From Patriots vs Eagles

Ian Logue

Here's a quick rundown of some things we learned from Sunday's loss to the Eagles.

Continue reading...

Interesting, especially reminding us that the D performed well, giving up just 248 yards. Two aspects of the team that are usually reliable let everyone down. Special Teams (no need to beat that horse any deader than it has been beat) and Tom Brady's judgment forcing the ball into coverage at the goal line for a ten point turnaround in the time it took to run 99 yards (assuming Gostkowski would have kicked a 20 yard FG if TB had thrown the ball away).

Great points here. Positives for Martin, White, Amendola. Problem areas highlighted are LaFell and Blount. LaFell could still be working off rust from a prolonged absence, but Blount is a mystery. He is not the injury report, so no obvious explanation for his lack of speed/explosiveness.

Not learned... confirmed

1...OL horrible
2...RBs horrible
3...WR depth horrible
4...Defense vulnerable vs 3rd down RBs
5...BB has no faith in his 2 minute offense
6...Loss of '16 #1 will be felt for years
7...Brady never quits

Not learned... confirmed

1...OL horrible
2...RBs horrible
3...WR depth horrible
4...Defense vulnerable vs 3rd down RBs
5...BB has no faith in his 2 minute offense
6...Loss of '16 #1 will be felt for years
7...Brady never quits

1-3 kind of an overreaction. We've been hit hard by injuries; only so many "next man ups"; had a win in Denver stolen by the refs (that had to have been demoralizing); and it's late in the year.

Absent serious league/referee intervention, we should win at least 2 (probably 3) more regular season games. 13-3 will probably be good enough for a playoff bye; 12-4 gets us the 3 seed and probably a rematch in Denver in the divisionals.

Interesting, especially reminding us that the D performed well, giving up just 248 yards. Two aspects of the team that are usually reliable let everyone down. Special Teams (no need to beat that horse any deader than it has been beat) and Tom Brady's judgment forcing the ball into coverage at the goal line for a ten point turnaround in the time it took to run 99 yards (assuming Gostkowski would have kicked a 20 yard FG if TB had thrown the ball away).

I could be wrong, but I thought the pass to Amendola was on second down, which makes it even worse.

They had the ball at the one-yard line and handed it off for a loss of four. While it doesn't absolve Brady from his poor decision, our interior line really, really sucks in short yardage situations. I swear we get stuffed more than any other team. It's too much burden for Brady and his backup receivers to carry this team throughout every possible offensive situation, including short yardage. He is going to make some mistakes like this.

Interesting, especially reminding us that the D performed well, giving up just 248 yards.

That's misleading, given that PHI "lost" two offensive possessions because of the pick-six and the punt return TD (I'm not counting the punt block because either time would have expired on the punt or PHI would likely have knelt it out after receiving it).

That's misleading, given that PHI "lost" two offensive possessions because of the pick-six and the punt return TD (I'm not counting the punt block because either time would have expired on the punt or PHI would likely have knelt it out after receiving it).
While that's true, they still had 10 possessions excluding the final kneeldown, so it's not exactly like they didn't have a lot of opportunities. The Patriots had 14 excluding the final kneel down at the end of the half following the punt block. Not as big of a difference as you might think.

Here's 7 things I learned.

1. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
2. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
3. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
4. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
5. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
6. Losing back-to-back games sucks.
7. Losing back-to-back games sucks.

To take it a step further, of those 10 drives, the Eagles only had three drives of more than six plays the whole game, and just two with net yards of over 22 yards. If the Eagles finish the day with just the two offensive touchdowns they scored, I think we'd be feeling pretty good about the final outcome because I feel like New England probably would have won this one.

So, you're saying we're just trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and should just admit that they sucked. That's not unreasonable.

So, you're saying we're just trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and should just admit that they sucked. That's not unreasonable.

No, he's saying that the defense isn't what sucked. 1.4 points/possession is pretty good.

The offense generated 2 points/possession, and gave up a Pick 6. That was bad.

STs gave up 2 TDs plus a kickoff that was returned to the 41. That was beyond bad.

No, he's saying that the defense isn't what sucked. 1.4 points/possession is pretty good.

The offense generated 2 points/possession, and gave up a Pick 6. That was bad.

STs gave up 2 TDs plus a kickoff that was returned to the 41. That was beyond bad.
So, more or less what I said in my OP:
"...the D performed well, giving up just 248 yards. Two aspects of the team that are usually reliable let everyone down. Special Teams (no need to beat that horse any deader than it has been beat) and Tom Brady's judgment forcing the ball into coverage at the goal line for a ten point turnaround in the time it took to run 99 yards (assuming Gostkowski would have kicked a 20 yard FG if TB had thrown the ball away)."

You've widened it to the total Offense, which is fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes