PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seven Quick Thoughts Heading into Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. A lot of kudos are going to Andy Reid for the Chiefs 3-0 start. Fair enough, but it seems funny to give him so much credit for beating the Eagles last night since Reid is the guy who got fired for running the team into the ground with a 4-12 record in 2012.

2. Chiefs QB Alex Smith is one of those guys who is rarely going to beat himself. It’s surprising just how far that will get you in the NFL. People may forget that this is how Tom Brady started his illustrious pro football career.

3. Thursday night football seems to be a pretty iffy proposition. Coaches have little time to prepare, players have insufficient time to rest and heal, the matchups aren’t all that attractive, the quality of play, all least so far this year, is dreadful and the NFL Network broadcast is amateur hour . And it’s a lot to ask of the fans who buy tickets to leave work so early and stay out so late. Just another example of the NFL putting the almighty dollar ahead fans and players.

4. It’s September and the weather here in New England is spectacular, except, it seems, whenever the 68,000 faithful head to Foxboro. It looks like home game #2 will involve our second foray this season into Deep Sea Football. I never much took to the idea of a domed stadium. Football is meant to be played outdoors and those of us who go to the games are used to dealing with the elements. On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind a domed parking lot where we could all tailgate in comfort.

5. The 1:00 kickoff is a throwback to the good old days when the team was a national laughingstock. I love the early kickoff because it feels like real football. And there’s not too many things in life that are better than tailgating with your friends at 9:00 Sunday morning. The lovely and always understanding Mrs. Zeus would most definitely look askance were I to start drinking beer and wine and eating clams, chicken wings, bratwurst, ribs, steak, bison sliders (that’s really on this week’s menu), duck breast, lamb chops (etc., etc., etc.) on my deck at home very early Sunday morning before the game started. So I can say in all honesty that it is truly my Patriotic Duty to have season tickets in order to Promote Domestic Tranquility.

6. The Patriots have found an ingenious way to neutralize Bucs star CB Darrelle Revis. The lack of a credible outside receiver means there is no one for Revis to shut down. Best for Tampa to give Revis the week off since it’s unlikely that he’ll meaningfully affect the outcome of the game.

7. For the Patriots, the key to the game will be Tom Brady’s body language and the team’s overall swagger. I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the highly prestigious NFL award for Best Body Language but Brady’s likely already out, as is Peyton Manning for flapping his arms like a gigantic radioactive chicken while pretending to call an audible. Anyway, the team with the most swagger usually wins but only if they also happen to outscore their opponent.

1. A lot of kudos are going to Andy Reid for the Chiefs 3-0 start. Fair enough, but it seems funny to give him so much credit for beating the Eagles last night since Reid is the guy who got fired for running the team into the ground with a 4-12 record in 2012.

To be fair people will be praising Reid the coach not the GM. You'd think after seeing his physique no one would actually let him buy the groceries.

To be fair people will be praising Reid the coach not the GM. You'd think after seeing his physique no one would actually let him buy the groceries.

from earlier post elsewhere:

I wonder if Andy Reid has ever eaten an entire undrafted free agent defensive tackle in one sitting, because it sure looks like he did.

I'm actually rooting for Alex Smith and Andy Reid....Smith has put up with so much BS in his career...all he does is just win...plus he's a classy guy. I know he isn't a big risk taker like our guy in NE who throws 50 yd bombs on 2nd and inches, but he does what's necessary to win big games. He has the tools in KC to be competitive and the coach who'll instill confidence into his passing game.

I'm actually rooting for Alex Smith and Andy Reid....Smith has put up with so much BS in his career...all he does is just win...plus he's a classy guy. I know he isn't a big risk taker like our guy in NE who throws 50 yd bombs on 2nd and inches, but he does what's necessary to win big games. He has the tools in KC to be competitive and the coach who'll instill confidence into his passing game.

Are you talking about a different Andy Reid? I don't consider the one who was 1-4 in NFCCGs and 0-1 in SBs and hasn't won a playoff game since 2008 to be someone who does what's necessary to win big games.
As far as the classy issue, I will stay away from that other than saying many people would disagree with you.

As far as the classy issue, I will stay away from that other than saying many people would disagree with you.

Does Reid have a reputation for acting classless?

He may not be quite the coach that the poster is painting him out to be, but I never viewed him as classless myself. From what I thought, he was generally well-respected in the coaching circles etc.

Edit: nevermind, I misunderstood his point. I thought he was referring to Andy Reid, not Alex Smith. That said, no--I never really thought of Smith as a "classy" type of guy.

The Chiefs are a fraud.

They beat pitiful Jax, Cowboys with a broken ribs Romo and the Eagles with Vick who stinks. The Eagles turned the ball over 3 times including a pick 6 and were only down by 4 at half time.

The Chiefs are fixing to go on a losing streak beginning with the Giants.

2. Chiefs QB Alex Smith is one of those guys who is rarely going to beat himself. It’s surprising just how far that will get you in the NFL. People may forget that this is how Tom Brady started his illustrious pro football career.

Smith is still a game manager at this juncture in his career.

3. Thursday night football seems to be a pretty iffy proposition. Coaches have little time to prepare, players have insufficient time to rest and heal, the matchups aren’t all that attractive, the quality of play, all least so far this year, is dreadful and the NFL Network broadcast is amateur hour . And it’s a lot to ask of the fans who buy tickets to leave work so early and stay out so late. Just another example of the NFL putting the almighty dollar ahead fans and players.

You have to buy the NFL Network to see the game.

4. It’s September and the weather here in New England is spectacular, except, it seems, whenever the 68,000 faithful head to Foxboro. It looks like home game #2 will involve our second foray this season into Deep Sea Football. I never much took to the idea of a domed stadium. Football is meant to be played outdoors and those of us who go to the games are used to dealing with the elements. On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind a domed parking lot where we could all tailgate in comfort.

Just wait until this years Super Bowl to see what a cluster F thats going to be. Its par for their to be record cold or a snowstorm. I was wondering the other night during the SF vs Seattle rain delay how long before the NFL mandates domed stadiums for all exclusive games like that one and the opener Baltimore vs Denver.

5. The 1:00 kickoff is a throwback to the good old days when the team was a national laughingstock. I love the early kickoff because it feels like real football. And there’s not too many things in life that are better than tailgating with your friends at 9:00 Sunday morning. The lovely and always understanding Mrs. Zeus would most definitely look askance were I to start drinking beer and wine and eating clams, chicken wings, bratwurst, ribs, steak, bison sliders (that’s really on this week’s menu), duck breast, lamb chops (etc., etc., etc.) on my deck at home very early Sunday morning before the game started. So I can say in all honesty that it is truly my Patriotic Duty to have season tickets in order to Promote Domestic Tranquility.

I prefer 3:00 pm kickoffs if Im local tailgating and 12:00 kickoffs if im traveling to a road game so I can get to the airport and home at a reasonable hour.

Just wait until this years Super Bowl to see what a cluster F thats going to be. Its par for their to be record cold or a snowstorm. I was wondering the other night during the SF vs Seattle rain delay how long before the NFL mandates domed stadiums for all exclusive games like that one and the opener Baltimore vs Denver.

Is anybody even awake at the NFL? 20 degrees with freezing rain, and all of the fans decide to stay in the hotel bars and watch the game there? Empty stands, and two high powered NFL offenses slipping and sliding to a baseball score.

Does Reid have a reputation for acting classless?

He may not be quite the coach that the poster is painting him out to be, but I never viewed him as classless myself. From what I thought, he was generally well-respected in the coaching circles etc.

Edit: nevermind, I misunderstood his point. I thought he was referring to Andy Reid, not Alex Smith. That said, no--I never really thought of Smith as a "classy" type of guy.

I misread it to and thought he was talking about Reid. I'm not going to get into because I don't know the facts (which I why I said that originally) but I have heard a lot of criticism of Reid as a parent. But as I said, you have to know the real facts.

Is anybody even awake at the NFL? 20 degrees with freezing rain, and all of the fans decide to stay in the hotel bars and watch the game there? Empty stands, and two high powered NFL offenses slipping and sliding to a baseball score.

In the divisional playoffs at the end of the 2004 season, jet placekicker Doug Brien missed field goals from 47 and then 43 yards in the last two minutes, allowing the Steelers to win in OT. Had the jets won, the Patriots would have hosted the AFC championship game the next week. You may recall that the Boston area was pounded by a major snowstorm on Saturday, one that left well over two feet of snow and closed roads, airports, businesses and schools for several days.

Peter King interviewed league officials about what would have happened had the game been scheduled in Foxboro. They assured him that the game would have been played as scheduled. Anyone who lives around here knows that there is no way that roads, parking lots, the playing surface and seats could have been sufficiently cleared to allow the game to be played at all.

Odds are very good that Super Bowl XLVIII was go off without a hitch. But there's a reasonable chance that this could be an epic fiasco.

One other thought. If you've ever attended a Super Bowl, you know that the majority of those in attendance are not hard core football fans, but rather fat cat guests of corporate sponsors. I can pretty well guarantee that very few of these people will be prepared to weather the elements.

So you are correct - get ready for a lot of empty seats, even if the weather's pretty good. If there's a major storm, yikes ...

I am hoping for an epic weather fiasco of titanic proportions that rocks the NFL establishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST