Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone watching ?

A few comments :

Marcus McCauley is the big CB everyone wants here but he looks a lot less quick than the smaller CB we're used to. It's tough to have both and Belichick seems to prefer the quick over the size.

Anthony Spencer looks like an interesting 3-4 OLB but like Woodley is a touch short to be the perfect fit for us.

Aundrae Allison is a good looking WR, not sure where he projected but I like him. Same with Paul Williams from Fresno State.

I still don't like Rema McKnight, just drops the ball too much.

Eric Weddle runs like a Safety, not a CB. He's still a nice versatile guy but not as a CB.

I love Levi Brown but he isn't going to be there for us. Ryan Harris (Notre Dame) looks like a legit LT prospect if we go that way although the OL performance in the playoffs makes that less likely. Harris looked good at practice although they said Spencer abused him in the regular season game.

Anyone watching ?

A few comments :

Marcus McCauley is the big CB everyone wants here but he looks a lot less quick than the smaller CB we're used to. It's tough to have both and Belichick seems to prefer the quick over the size.

Anthony Spencer looks like an interesting 3-4 OLB but like Woodley is a touch short to be the perfect fit for us.

Aundrae Allison is a good looking WR, not sure where he projected but I like him. Same with Paul Williams from Fresno State.

Eric Weddle runs like a Safety, not a CB. He's still a nice versatile guy but not as a CB.

I love Levi Brown but he isn't going to be there for us. Ryan Harris (Notre Dame) looks like a legit LT prospect if we go that way although the OL performance in the playoffs makes that less likely. Harris looked good at practice although they said Spencer abused him in the regular season game.

Read this link on weigh-ins. Not good for Harris. I just can't stand ND so love to get digs at them.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/weighin.html

Anyone watching ?

A few comments :

DE/OLB
- Spencer would be a nice pick in round 2 but I wouldn't take him in round 1.
- I think Woodley will drop our of round 1, maybe something like 35-40 range
- Bradley from Nebraska might be a good pickup in rounds 4-5
- other players whose stock I will be watching Moses (Georgia) and Moss (Florida, round 2)

ILB
- Siler, Poz., Willis seem just a little small but are athetic, interesting to see if the Pats get a little smaller but faster at LB or stay big

WR
- Allison can fly but in the game I saw him play he looked very tentative
(scared).
- smaller WRs I like Stuckney (Clemson), Higgins (Texas El Paso)

Let the fun begin...

W

I am not a fan of Levi's. I think he's a boom or bust kind of pick. Too scary for me liking.

Actually he's very similar in ht/wt to TBC. I like him -- and Colvin knows him. I think Rosey would know if he could play in our D. :cool:

Wouldn't consider him as a CB -- but he's smart...and his versatility would be a plus in our D. BB likes these type of players...

^your report is a little differnet than NFL DC and DraftDaddy

http://draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Hughes is a guy i want..hed be a much better prospect if he can get his time into 4.44 or less. supposivly he runs a 4.52-4.54 and thats why people call him a Cover2 CB

i like him..a lot. Ball hawk, anticipation, aggresive (most of the time good)

The most talented unit on both sides of the ball might be the North defensive backs. They are fast and quick, and have been harassing the North wide outs all week. As mentioned yesterday, Cal cornerback Daymeion Hughes has great hands and excellent quickness. The North used him at kick returner, along with Tech wide receiver David Clowney.

Fresno cornerback Marcus MacCauley seems to be getting stronger with each practice, especially notable was his closing and recovery speed, both of which cannot be coached. He as well as Michigan cornerback Leon Hall displayed smooth ball skills during drills, using their hands rather than trapping the ball.Maryland cornerback Josh Wilson continues to improve as the coaches work with his technique. This is a player for whom it is apparent the coaches see a lot of potential.

Anthony Spencer is a guy i like aswell..sack master. Fast, strong. Great @ Purdue. Hes a late 1-early 2 but i would definatley grab him with pick 28

Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer looks speedy around the edge, and even though is giving up a lot of weight to the North tackles, fights through their mass on the way to the quarterback. This player seems more ideal as an outside linebacker than as a “hand on the ground” defensive end. As an aside, Spencer is sporting a spiffy mohawk this week, and that scores big style points with the DD.com staff.

Last edited:
^your report is a little differnet than NFL DC and DraftDaddy
Of course, I'm not a scout and just see a few plays that NFLN chooses to show. But McCauley looked big and gangly but not quick and sudden to me. Not that he's not a guy I don't like but he's definitely different that what we're used to. He does look strong with long arms for more aggressive play at the line that our smaller guys.

Watching the South a little :

- I like Aaron Ross more than McCauley. Almost as tall but quicker and more sudden.

- WR Chris Davis is the first name I've seen mentioned as having had Patriots scouts talking to him and he has some Branch quickness to him, he looks like a Pats' WR.

- Brandon Merriweather looked quick for a Safety in 1-1 WR coverage - as opposed to Michael Griffin who looked like a Safety in coverage.

i like Ross and hope we possible take a shot @ him depending how his stock goes..late 1st or 2nd if he can slip to us there. Hes done well this year and is a very good PR. won Thorpe award but idk how Texas pass D was so bad with so many top 3-4 round prospects in Griffin/Ross/Brown

problem with Ross..hes more of a "using his athletism to make plays" and not yet a student of game and the mental part of the game which is needed in NFL

Davis is an early day 2 prospect and i would definatley take a shot @ him. FSU really hasnt used its talent all that well with Lorenzo Booker/Davis and others

Hes fast,quick. Could be a pretty good slot guy. Was a tremendous recruit coming into FSU

Meriweather is a player i love. Im a Hurricane fan and hes got Ed Reed written on him..Hes not a big safety but hes a ball hawk and he hits very hard. I would take a shot @ him..the gun incident, in Florida your allowed to have a gun i believe and he fired in self defense..why carry a gun on the streets in college? That worries me a bit but a lot of people have guns, Samuel, Gaffney to name a few on our team. The stomping incident..crazy but he apologized and it happens sometimes. Hes not a thug imo..he got caught in a bad moment..emotional and all that but hes a smart enough to not do it again and i was shocked that Meriweather did what he did. If you are willing to put his stomping behind, you have yourself a great safety who would easily be the #2 safety ahead of Nelson, behind Landry but the attitude has him slipped into 2nd but i think someone will take him late 1st-early 2nd.

I like all 3 of the players. Ross is a little raw..needs some work but if you can get some things fixed, he'll be a hell of a player b/c his attributes. Davis wouldnt hurt to take in round 5..get yourself a fast slot guy who has the upside imo to be the top recruti he was and be a solid #2 one day.

Watching the South a little :

- I like Aaron Ross more than McCauley. Almost as tall but quicker and more sudden.

I'd love it if the Pats drafted a Longhorn, but I'm not too keen on taking anyone from the secondary. The Texas secondary was in the 100's (out of like 117 programs) in terms of overall pass yardage allowed. The dropoff wasn't VY's fault rather the blame goes to the defense and the secondary in particular. Ross was OK, but like everyone else he got burned quite a few times. The nickel and dime backs were just atrocious. I'd rather draft Ross than Michael Griffin who was always out of position and a bad tackler.

Ross is an awesome return man however.

Did anyone else see that LSU WR drop that perfect pass? Then when he turned around he was laughing about it. What a boob.

Ross would be great. Also, it looks like Leon Hall might fall in which case I wouldn't hesitate to snag him at #24. He could probably start almost immediately.

I live about an hour from Mobile so I went to the South Practice today, it was unbelievable. Got to meet so many coaches and scouts. If anyone has any questions about any particular player I watched today feel free to ask. The one that stuck out the most to me was Joe Staley T Central Michigan. That guy is a beast.

I live about an hour from Mobile so I went to the South Practice today, it was unbelievable. Got to meet so many coaches and scouts. If anyone has any questions about any particular player I watched today feel free to ask. The one that stuck out the most to me was Joe Staley T Central Michigan. That guy is a beast.

Did you see any Pats scouts and if you did, did you see them talk to anyone?

Who were the best WR's, LB's, and CB's?

Were their any loudmouth ****y players out there?

Thanks.

I saw two Pats scouts, but none of the scouts were allowed on the field during the practice so I didn't see them talking to anyone.
For WR Dwayne Bowe looked really good as did Courtney Taylor. Taylor caught everything thrown his way, and Bowe was agressive and physical. Plus he joked with the fans a little. Dallas Baker looked jacked and I definitely was not impressed with Chris Davis. Higgins and Stuckey didn't really stand out either.
The CBs on a hole were pretty impressive, though I seemed to miss Ross everytime he was in somehow. The S didn't really stand out, though Merriweather was decent. AJ Davis and Jonathan Wade are a little short, but Davis had a nice pass breakup and Wade made a great diving interception. David Irons seemed to be having the most fun on the field and made a few good pass breakups. Fred Bennett had to get talked to a lot, but seemed very athletic. All the DBs seemed to be quality guys and were helping each other out the whole time. They struggled some against the taller more physical WR, but more than held their own with the smaller ones.
Buster Davis was very physical, but is just too short for us. He should have had an interception but could only tip it away. Still a good play. Patrick Willis made a good interception and was impressive throughout. Quentin Moses was playing DE, but was extremely tall and muscular and seemed very athletic and knocked a screen pass down when the QB tried to lob it over him.
Hope that helped, not the best analysis, but the best I could remember this late. No players seemed overly ****y at all, I was pretty surprised.

NFLN just a few seconds ago... Tony Taylor and Buster Davis are dying in these running drills. All the South LB's tired out except for Patrick Willis. Singletary is being brutal on these guys.

Last edited:
NFLN just a few seconds ago... Tony Taylor and Buster Davis are dying in these running drills. All the South LB's tired out except for Patrick Willis. Singletary is being brutal on these guys.

Sorry to hear that Willis is looking so good, lessens the chance of him sliding to us. He may be worth a small trade up.

There is no way BB/SP pass him up if he's there when we pick.

Sorry to hear that Willis is looking so good, lessens the chance of him sliding to us. He may be worth a small trade up.

There is no way BB/SP pass him up if he's there when we pick.

FWIW, on the next drill Willis had poor technique when attacking the run. In contrast, Taylor was fine. However Buster Davis has looked bad in everything and to make things worse NFLN seems to focusing on him a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes