PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: The 49ers and OL Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this goes to show that if you get less talented players that work together and communicate well it is better than more talented players that don't work together and communicate well. That should surprise no football fan.

My question is why is it either or? Why not get talented players that work together well? I like our bookends and I think Stork is going to be solid for years. I would like to get a Guard in next years draft though (maybe 2).

Also it should be noted though this line is doing well in pass blocking it is horrible at run blocking. They have sacrificed one for the other by getting players that do one well but lack the strength to do the other well at Guard. I am fine with this. Pass blocking matters more than run blocking. However I ask again why should it be either or? Why not get players that can do both?

I like this OL mind you and would like them all back next year but I think most of us would agree It could use some help sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Well this goes to show that is you get less talented players that work together and communicate well it is better than more talented players that don't work together and communicate well. That should surprise no football fan.

My question is why is it either or? Why not get talented players that work together well? I like our bookends and I think Stork is going to be solid for years. I would like to get a Guard in next years draft though (maybe 2).

Who said otherwise?

Absolutely. This was not intended to argue against upgrading the talent on the OL, merely that cohesion and communication is as critical to good line play as raw talent. There was a lot of criticism earlier this season about the Pats not having invested more in the OL, and I wanted to point out that that doesn't guarantee good line play.

The Pats have currently invested the following OL picks:

1st (2011) Solder - looks like a keeper, despite some glitches
2nd (2009) Vollmer - long term starter, despite some injuries
4th (2014) Stork - looks like a solid starter
4th (2014) Fleming - looked like a solid rotational player and possible RG before getting dinged up
5th (2011) Cannon - question-mark going into a contract year

Plus UDFAs Connolly (UFA in 2015), Wendell, Devey and Kline.

I don't think there's any question that investing a day 1-2 pick on the OL in 2015 would be a worthwhile investment. Quite possibly 2 OLs.

Last edited:
Who said otherwise?

Absolutely. This was not intended to argue against upgrading the talent on the OL, merely that cohesion and communication is as critical to good line play as raw talent. There was a lot of criticism earlier this season about the Pats not having invested more in the OL, and I wanted to point out that that doesn't guarantee good line play.

The Pats have currently invested the following OL picks:

1st (2011) Solder - looks like a keeper, despite some glitches
2nd (2009) Vollmer - long term starter, despite some injuries
4th (2014) Stork - looks like a solid starter
4th (2014) Fleming - looked like a solid rotational player and possible RG before getting dinged up
5th (2011) Cannon - question-mark going into a contract year

Plus UDFAs Connolly (UFA in 2015), Wendell, Devey and Kline.

I don't think there's any question that investing a day 1-2 pick on the OL in 2015 would be a worthwhile investment. Quite possibly 2 OLs.

Oh don't think I was putting words in your mouth. I am not saying you said those things. Just voicing a bit of frustration is all : P

Also I believe when it comes to pass blocking this line is good enough to win a championship with. Wendell and Connolly both do that well.

Oh don't think I was putting words in your mouth. I am not saying you said those things. Just voicing a bit of frustration is all : P

:D

You only get so many first rounders. If I had my choice, NE's DL, OL, DBs and LBs would all get first round supplements every year. I'll be gracious and wait until the second round for the rest of the roster. :)

I didn't. What I'd like to see for 2015, personally:

1. Re-sign Dan Connolly. He can be a viable 3-position backup and spot starter, and provides leaderhip to the OL.

2. Draft an OT/OG early - 2nd round would be ideal, depending on how it falls. 1st could be necessary. Brandon Scherff, TJ Clemmings, La'el Collins, Ty Sambrailo, Spencer Drango, Ereck Flowers, Cameron Erving ... lots of them in this draft. Plan on plugging them in at LG, similar to Mankins in 2005.

3. Figure out what to do with Cannon, and how Devey and Kline look for the future, and then adjust accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes