PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seahawks release Shaun Alexander [Update: Pats or Colts?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Seahawks release Shaun Alexander

I was joking about you smoking crack, but, I doubt that they would ever trade up for a running back.

Stewart would be a good pickup for any team... imo.

Re: Seahawks release Shaun Alexander today

I picture Seattle aiming more towards Mendenhall then Stewart because they want more of a bruising runner.

I think you have this reversed. Stewart is a more bruising runner, while Mendenhall is a shiftier guy. The Seahawks already signed Julius Jones, so if they're looking for a complement I'd expect them to be targeting Stewart. TJ Duckett has proven he isn't the answer on any level for any team.

The irony of paying star backs big money a few years into their careers is that only a couple seem to have lived up to the star billing, and one of them was a Patriot: Curtis Martin.

I don't think paying 6 year backs big $$ is a smart decision. I know Curtis was only with the Patriots for a few short years, but at the time the Patriots were weighing whether it was worth it.

My memory may be poor, but other than Curtis, Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk, I can't remember any recent RB (last 15 years) who was decent during their 3rd contract. If they still have the desire to play at that age, they are extremely lucky if they're able to avoid injury (look at Corey Dillon and Terrell Davis).

READ THE LAST SENTENCE:

Sources: Seahawks release former league MVP Alexander

Running back Shaun Alexander was released by the Seattle Seahawks Tuesday, according to multiple sources.

Running On Empty?

Shaun Alexander has lost a step the past two seasons. The running back's numbers are down considerably from his MVP season in 2005.

Before his release, he had to take a procedural physical in order to facilitate the termination of his contract. He took that physical Tuesday afternoon. Recovering from wrist surgery, Alexander has been waiting for his left wrist to heal before he can start visiting teams that might be interested in signing him.

Alexander is expected to issue a statement early Tuesday evening, and Seahawks management is expected to be available for comment after 7 p.m. ET for comment. Alexander leaves Seattle on good terms after being the team's all-time leading rusher. Two years of injuries plus the fact he was 30 years old led to his exit.

Alexander's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press Tuesday that "an announcement is pending" about Alexander's future with the Seahawks.

General manager Tim Ruskell, a big supporter of Alexander, signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett to replace him. The only holdup in Alexander's release was his wrist, which plagued him most of the 2007 season.

Alexander, who is signed through the 2010, is scheduled to make $4.475 million this season. The Seahawks have two possible ways of releasing him. They could simply terminate his contract. If they do that, they would have a cap loss of $125,000.

Seattle could also release him under a June 2 designation in which they would put save the $4.475 million salary on the 2008 cap and then be responsible for $4.6 million on their 2009 cap. With more than $12 million of cap room remaining, the Seahawks may just simply give him his outright release and take the cap hits this season.

A former first-round choice of the Seahawks, Alexander rushed for 9,429 yards and scored 100 touchdowns in eight seasons.

He's told teammates there might be interest from teams such as the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts although he's just beginning his first venture into free agency.

Last edited:

Alexander > McFadden.

can we bring him on board?

Re: Seahawks release Shaun Alexander today

Trade up with what? I don't think they have the picks to do it.

I think Maurice Morris is also still with the Seahawks.

WARNING - JUST JOKING - I'm not serious.

They offer us Branch.:D

The inevitable happened and word over the wire just now indicates the Seahawks have given Shaun his walking papers today.

Sad ending to to great career for this guy in Seattle and if he still has anything left in the tank he may help a team out maybe as a 2nd or likely 3rd string RB somewhere - The NY Jets or Dolphins would not surprise me if they were interested.

This likely opens the door for either Stewart or Mendenhall getting called in the 1st round to Seattle.

Possibly Seattle may trade up to NE to grab McFadden is he is still on the board - unlikely but possible but a RB is a need behind Julius Jones

Yup I think they are targeting Stewart or Mendhenhall, but they'll likely have to move up to land one of those. McFadden is pretty much unreachable without 2 1st round picks.

Alexander > McFadden.

Umm NO.
Alexander = WASHED UP.
McFadden = Budding young star at RB

Last edited:

Alexander > Felix Jones

John Clayton just mentioned the Pats/Colts as possible teams that'd be looking at him.

My memory may be poor, but other than Curtis, Emmitt Smith and Marshall Faulk, I can't remember any recent RB (last 15 years) who was decent during their 3rd contract. If they still have the desire to play at that age, they are extremely lucky if they're able to avoid injury (look at Corey Dillon and Terrell Davis).

Did Dillon do his 1600 yards and the SB in his 3rd contract when he was here?

Wasn't Alexander in S. Florida with the Pats O at that charity event this past week? That's weird, isn't it?

You know what will be funny if Alexander signs with the pats, the pats had the 16th pick in 00 , but that pick went to the jets for Bill Belichick, some people say that Alexander would have been the pats pick.. Some irony huh??:rolleyes:

Did Dillon do his 1600 yards and the SB in his 3rd contract when he was here?

It wasn't obvious to you that Dillon had worn down bigtime by the time he got to the Patriots? One year's production is NOT what I call a steady producer. Had the Patriots not won the Super Bowl, I feel very confident in saying the Dillon trade wasn't worth it. One year's production and a sourpuss after that for a second round draft choice? No thanks.

It was very worth the 2nd because we won. Not worth it however for the straight production he gave us. I would give that 2nd up again for him, but I don't think we got value. He did help us get a ring however, and that's more important than getting value. I'd give up a 1st rounder for Jermaine Wiggins right now if that meant he'd make a crucial catch with 10 seconds left in the Super Bowl that puts us in FG position.

Alexander had some monster games in his career... he also received a monster payday. If I were him, considering he's a RB, I'd retire and move on to the next phase of my life, somewhat healthy.

Clayton said Alexander believes he will end up in Indy or with us.

It wasn't obvious to you that Dillon had worn down bigtime by the time he got to the Patriots? One year's production is NOT what I call a steady producer. Had the Patriots not won the Super Bowl, I feel very confident in saying the Dillon trade wasn't worth it. One year's production and a sourpuss after that for a second round draft choice? No thanks.

It was very worth the 2nd because we won. Not worth it however for the straight production he gave us. I would give that 2nd up again for him, but I don't think we got value. He did help us get a ring however, and that's more important than getting value. I'd give up a 1st rounder for Jermaine Wiggins right now if that meant he'd make a crucial catch with 10 seconds left in the Super Bowl that puts us in FG position.

What are you talking about? He only set the all time rushing record, had his best season by 200-300 yards and had his second best rushing avg. at 4.7 yards a carry.

Yeah, he sucked his first year with us.:rolleyes:

He was forced to play on a high ankle sprain in 2005 because every single running back was injured. That had more to do with his decline than age.

In 3 seasons with the pats Dillon ran for about 3,100 yards. Including the best single season by a Patriot RB ever, a SB title, and training his replacement. I would say he was well worth it.

SB or not his 1600 yard season was the best Running I have ever witnessesed in person. I was to young to see most of the greats, I did see Barry once or twice and maybe I witnessed better from him but bias and memory are getting in the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back