PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Lynden Trail, DE/OLB

Also, I could use some feedback, positive or negative, on the actual reports. This is my first year putting these out for public view and would love to know what you guys think. Is there anything else you would like to see in the reports?

Nice job. I find it a bit surprising that you gave trail only a mid day 3 grade given your write up, which seems quite a bit more positive. He has a lot of upside, athleticism and versatility.

I'd be curious to see you take a look at Virginia DE/OLB Max Valles, who just declared. RS soph, but extremely athletic. I'm also curious what you think of Trail compared with Danielle Hunter, another very long and fluid guy with a ton of versatility.

As a general comment, since you specifically ask for feedback, I find your reports very clear and concise, but sometimes a bit restrained and equivocal. That could be your personality, or a function of inexperience and not being as sure of yourself. I sometimes feel like I'm trying to read in between the lines to get a sense of how you really feel about some of these guys. I often find the most useful scouting reports the ones where guys go out on a limb and take a stance, especially if it runs counter to the conventional grain. To me the most useful scouting reports are the ones which get me to rethink how I look at a player, or pique me to want to go back and look and more tape and see if I've missed something. Eventually, I want to figure out which of these many guys at a given position are the ones that I want to hypothetically invest in, which ones I believe have what it takes to develop and eventually excel.

But again, I'm nitpicking only because you specifically ask for critical feedback. I'm grateful for your reports, and look forward to more.

I enjoy that this guy has played literally all over on defense. That is the kind of guy that BB loves

Thanks Mayo for the feedback.
I think you are probably right, so thanks for that, this is a work in progress for me and hopefully as the process goes on I will feel more comfortable standing up or shooting down players.

As for Trail, I do like him for what he is. I think if a team were to draft him and think that he can step in right away and be a contributor, then they will be disappointed. If he gets time to develop though, the rare traits are there for him to be a solid NFL player. For me, that is a day 3 type of guy. Doesn't mean I don't like him though. Hope that makes sense. I view him similar to a guy the Patriots took last year in Zach Moore.

I enjoy that this guy has played literally all over on defense. That is the kind of guy that BB loves

Watch his 2013 highlight tape, he plays a mean Redzone WR too.

I fell in love with Trail after watching his 2013 highlight tape because of his athleticism and versatility and he was a regular in my early mocks but I was much less impressed with him based upon his film at Draft Breakdown.

I suggest taking a look at Towson's Ryan Delaire as a potential athletic day 3 DE. I keep seeing tweets like this one:

I hate to say it again... Talking with GMs and Scouts here in Charleston. It's amazing how many know about Ryan Delaire And internet doesn't

https://twitter.com/agentlinton/status/552523257065508864

Manx,
I agree with you on Trail's game on DraftBreakdown. I was lucky enough to see 2 other games of his as well as the highlight film. I am not sure what was going on in that game, but it was not great and where most of his negatives from my report came from.
I have seen him rated as high as a top 100 player and that is too rich for my blood. If he goes somewhere that does not have high expectations in year one, that would be best, but if he goes top 100, teams will expect much more and that could end badly.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back