PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Ahkello Witherspoon, CB

Big fan of his. Been saying he plays smaller than he is for months.

He definitely has the length and the athleticism that BB seems to have been looking for lately. But those specific negatives have me thinking of him as a late Day-3 developmental prospect.

He definitely has the length and the athleticism that BB seems to have been looking for lately. But those specific negatives have me thinking of him as a late Day-3 developmental prospect.

If you watch him play, you'll see possibly the smoothest man corner in the draft. I don't think he's opposed to tackling, but he does have some technique deficiencies when it comes to tackling. I'd still take him in the 2nd in a heartbeat, because he legitimately has All Pro upside as a #1 corner.

If you watch him play, you'll see possibly the smoothest man corner in the draft. I don't think he's opposed to tackling, but he does have some technique deficiencies when it comes to tackling. I'd still take him in the 2nd in a heartbeat, because he legitimately has All Pro upside as a #1 corner.

Just responding to that specific scouting report.

Technique deficiencies wouldn't bother me. Lack of willingness (implied in that report) would, though.

I'm with you. Was being underrated for a long time.

I am shocked he is not talked about more. This class is loaded with CB talent, but you just don't see guys that size who move as smoothly as Witherspoon does. From a value standpoint, give me Witherspoon a half round to a round later than his teammate and I am good with that.

Just responding to that specific scouting report.

Technique deficiencies wouldn't bother me. Lack of willingness (implied in that report) would, though.

I'm split, honestly. I've seen a lot of reports indicate that he's unwilling to tackle, rather than just unpracticed. I won't argue too much one way or another, because I don't know him, but when I see him come up to make tackles like this, he doesn't look like he's incapable of hitting:

I am shocked he is not talked about more. This class is loaded with CB talent, but you just don't see guys that size who move as smoothly as Witherspoon does. From a value standpoint, give me Witherspoon a half round to a round later than his teammate and I am good with that.

I like Witherspoon a lot but I think I'd give Awuzie an edge as a fit for the Pats because he has inside/outside versatility and is better against the run.

I think the run thing is important too. If we do lose Butler, losing him and Ryan is potentially a significant loss against the run. The two of them were epic in that regard.

I like Witherspoon a lot but I think I'd give Awuzie an edge as a fit for the Pats because he has inside/outside versatility and is better against the run.

I think the run thing is important too. If we do lose Butler, losing him and Ryan is potentially a significant loss against the run. The two of them were epic in that regard.
If we are talking about taking them in the same range, I am with you, but from a value standpoint, if I can draft a different position say in round 2 and then get Witherspoon in round 3 instead of Awuzie in Rd 2, I would be on board with that.

If we are talking about taking them in the same range, I am with you, but from a value standpoint, if I can draft a different position say in round 2 and then get Witherspoon in round 3 instead of Awuzie in Rd 2, I would be on board with that.

Where are you on Howard Wilson?

Similar numbers as Ahkello, just shorter. Seahawks interested in him.

Where are you on Howard Wilson?
I like Wilson a lot as well. Similar strengths and weaknesses. I like Witherspoon's footwork better. Wilson played a lot of bail coverage and will need to improve his footwork and technique.

I agree that Witherspoon shouldn't be considered until our late-3rd pick.
Besides being somewhat allergic to tackling, his agility numbers at the combine are mediocre. Being 6'3 tends to do that, however.
Again, I would have no problem taking him at 96, but I would first look to see what other CBs are still available.

Besides being somewhat allergic to tackling, his agility numbers at the combine are mediocre. Being 6'3 tends to do that, however.
Again, I would have no problem taking him at 96, but I would first look to see what other CBs are still available.

Im prob higher on Spoon but if Keven King can go in the 1st so can he imo.

But thats the deal w/ this draft.

I'd have no problem getting 2 2's and walking away w/ Bowser and Spoon as opposed to having take Reddick w/ a top 15-20 pick or King in the 1st.

With the recent problem with jourdan lewis do you think he could be available at that 96 spot? Im thinking if hes there we run up to the podium to take him.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back