Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Facts
1.) All 32 teams turns over their roster each and every year. Why? They have to make room for their draft class and some players who are returning from being on IR
2.) All 32 teams have to be under their adjusted cap number by 4PM, March 10.
3.) No team during the salary-cap era has won more Super Bowls than the Patriots.
4.) Every team has over 51 players signed for the 2015 season.
5.) Jamie Collins can not be signed to an extension this year per CBA
6.) Neither can Malcolm Butler.
7.) Players get injured.
8.) Players decline.
9.) Teams have to take into consideration 7 and 8 when planning for the future.

Opinions
1.) BB is not perfect.
2.) He does not have to be perfect to win Super Bowls. He just has to be as good or better than his competition. Luckily for us, he has been better often.
3.) First reports of a contract often missed details (remember Pats signing Revis to a 1 year $12 million deal)
4.) First reports of a contract often exaggerate numbers. Why to impress that agent's current and future clients.
5.) Signing Chandler Jones and/or Donta' Hightower would most likely increase their 2015 cap number.
6.) Anyone, myself included, can think of moves that can get the Pats under the cap by the March 10th deadline. The Pats, though, have to think of the 2015 regular season operating expenses and future years.
7.) Not keeping everyone is to be expected and should not be the cause of wailing.

Great post.

Great stuff, Miquel!

Three more facts:

1) We aren't privy to the Pats player evaluations. Players who we think suck might grade pretty well by the Pats and players we think are pretty good may suck on the Pats grade sheets.

2) We aren't privy to the demands (real or anticipated) given to the Pats by player agents. I'm sure there have been times where the Pats just said, "life is too short to bother with this guy...."

3) It sure would be interesting to see the Patriots internal roster and cap predictions for 2016, 2017, and 2018. You know they've got 'em and those projections are driving their draft thinking a whole lot more than Mel Kiper's and Mike Mayock's grades.

BTW, interesting that you brought up Malcolm Butler. Every time I see the multiple plays he made in the SuperBowl, I think that one of Belichick's big challenges will be getting him on the field more often.

Great post, Miguel. As far as making a dent in the "Wailing Wall Of Whining Wingnuts" I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes