PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sadly, NFL Draft Countdown probably nailed our #28 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
And dont forget BB's calling card for prospects: versatility. Leonard can play as a blocker for Moroney (a la Heath Evans) or a power back (a la Corey Dillon) or a pass catcher (a la Marc Edwards) and on special teams (a la Patrick Pass). And he can do all of them well.

The analogy is Mike Alstott... a little lighter, a little more agile.

Brian Leonard is not a CB/S/LB, so therefore not a perceived need by the fans. But who evaluates the roster, decides the players roles, and makes the final cuts? And ultimately -- who defines VALUE?

Got news for some, if a Staley, Meachum, or Leonard is sitting there at #28, one of them is the pick. None represent one of the three obvious needs, but BB will know he just drafted value.

He's gotta' stop doing the "Leonard Leap" though. That might look awsome to fans but that is very dangerous, especially at the next level. If Leonard tries that against a good LB he'll wait, grab Leonard by the legs, and throw him to the ground. Really, I've seen more than a few guys get hurt pretty badly trying that in the NFL. Also, when I talk about the "Leonard leap" I don't mean jumping over the pile, and stuff like that. I am talking about going one-on-one with a LB and jumping over his head. That won't work at the next level, and he likes to do it a lot.

Last edited:
He's gotta' stop doing the "Leonard Leap" though. That might look awsome to fans but that is very dangerous, especially at the next level. If Leonard tries that against a good LB he'll wait, grab Leonard by the legs, and throw him to the ground. Really, I've seen more than a few guys get hurt pretty badly trying that in the NFL. Also, when I talk about the "Leonard leap" I don't mean jumping over the pile, and stuff like that. I am talking about going one-on-one with a LB and jumping over his head. That won't work at the next level, and he likes to do it a lot.
Okay, so Rodney or Bruschi will give him some counseling the first time he forgets, no big deal.

Gee, people said the same thing about drafting Ben Watson. And Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

No, the team doesn't need LBs and DBs all day Saturday. In fact, that would be spectacularly ******ed if they did that. Why? Because there is VALUE in DB in the 4th and 5th round. DB, specifically safety, has a tremendous amount of depth this year.

The jury's still deliberating Watson's fate. I would have taken LB Karlos Dansby instead.

And as much as I like Mankins, I would have preferred LT Khalif Barnes with that pick.

The pats do indeed need to draft 3 LBs/DBs on Saturday, then draft at least 2 more on Sunday. 32 Points Allowed in the 2nd Half says it all.

Last edited:
Who here regrets spending #32 on Watson or Mankins?

I do.

The pats should have taken LB Karlos Dansby instead of Watson. If they wanted The Bumbler that badly, then they should have traded their 2nd (#63) and 3rd (#95) for him, similar to the trade they made last year with GB for Chad Jackson. It's not like those 2 picks were well-used, anyway.

You have the same idea as me. I want a Safety in the first, and a Safety in either the third, or fourth round. I would like a LB in either the 1st/3rd/4th, and a CB in either the 1st/3rd/4th.

My first option would be CB and Safety in the first with a LB in the third, and another Safety in the fourth. That's only FOUR picks out of the TEN they should have on draft day. If people wan't DE's/OG's/OT's/RB's/WR's/DT's use the final SIX draft picks on them. It's not like they only have 5 picks, or something.

I could not have said it any better myself.

I don't care just about value we also need pure quality.

I want a piece of the Safeties in the 3rd or 4th round, yes. But I also want a top echelon one in ROUND ONE. And a LB or CB in ROUND ONE assuming one we like is there.

I don't want Leonard then two more James Sanders just because he was good value.

This is how I feel too. I want one of the big 3 safeties+a LB or convert. As far as Leanard I have no doubt he has shown skills,but first round? Truly, I think he is going to the Bills with their second. I would be very suprised if he went to the Pats,bpa or not.

I do.

The pats should have taken LB Karlos Dansby instead of Watson. If they wanted The Bumbler that badly, then they should have traded their 2nd (#63) and 3rd (#95) for him, similar to the trade they made last year with GB for Chad Jackson. It's not like those 2 picks were well-used, anyway.

Karlos Dansby? WTF has he done? Hell, can he even play in the 3-4?

Why is Watson a bumbler? Because he was asked to do something in his 2nd year that he'd never had to do before? Be THE primary receiver on a team? Watson had a whopping 3 fumbles. Yes, he did drop 6 passes, but that is hardly DAMNING when you consider that T.O. dropped something 17 on 152 targets. Watson had 6 drops on 91 targets. So, Watson isnt' that bad. Could he be better? Yep. Sure could. And I am sure he'll have worked on that this off-season.

Could he be better? Yep. Sure could. And I am sure he'll have worked on that this off-season.

I hope he's worked on his ball security this offseason, too, like Graham did.

Something else that could help Watson is for TB to not throw the deep seam passes to him; he gets hammered by the safeties every time. Better options are the "sit" routes which Ben Coates made famous; screens; and the flare-outs like the one that would have been a 1st-down with 4:30 left in the 1st half, were it not for that ticky-tack offensive PI call against Troy Brown.

leonard is an alstott type back. he was the starting tailback before switching to fullback when rice got there. he is a protypical bb player, but the first round is little high.

captain stone;379198[B said:
]The jury's still deliberating Watson's fate. I would have taken LB Karlos Dansby instead.

And as much as I like Mankins, I would have preferred LT Khalif Barnes with that pick.[/B]

The pats do indeed need to draft 3 LBs/DBs on Saturday, then draft at least 2 more on Sunday. 32 Points Allowed in the 2nd Half says it all.
If that is what you still believe, I just don't know what to say.

There are more pressing needs on this team than a FB.

Secondary or LB are the targets..

There are more pressing needs on this team than a FB.

Secondary or LB are the targets..

Too bad Leonard isn't JUST a FB. Again, its about value. Something that the Patriots have shown is more important than JUST team need.

Again, its about value. Something that the Patriots have shown is more important than JUST team need.

And finding value at a position of need is the most important of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes