PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sadly, NFL Draft Countdown probably nailed our #28 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking the exact same thing.

Drafting Leonard at 28 would be spectacularly ******ed.

This team needs LBs and DBs all day Saturday.

Gee, people said the same thing about drafting Ben Watson. And Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

No, the team doesn't need LBs and DBs all day Saturday. In fact, that would be spectacularly ******ed if they did that. Why? Because there is VALUE in DB in the 4th and 5th round. DB, specifically safety, has a tremendous amount of depth this year.

Right - how often are FB's drafted in the first round?

Trade back into the 2nd and he's still there.

And how oftern had BB drafted a GUARD in the 1st round? Or an interior lineman in general?

I agree that the Pats probably will attempt to trade down into the 2nd and pick leonard or someone else there, but if they can't they will take him when they have to.

Gee, people said the same thing about drafting Ben Watson. And Logan Mankins in the 1st round.

No, the team doesn't need LBs and DBs all day Saturday. In fact, that would be spectacularly ******ed if they did that. Why? Because there is VALUE in DB in the 4th and 5th round. DB, specifically safety, has a tremendous amount of depth this year.

I actually think this draft class is weak overall, when compared to last years class. There does appear to be "value" at Safety in the 3rd/4th, and maybe early 5th rounds. The class at CB is underwhelming this year, and even some of the first round talent at the position would have been 2nd rounders last year. LB Seems to have some value into the 3rd/4th round depending on who last, while WR seems to be the deepest corp in this draft. I actually think RB should be a position with some good value in the 3rd-5th round, and the talent at DT seems to drop after the second/third round.

Last edited:
No reason to draft Leonard here especially when we drafted a kid last year that fits the same mold, Mills. As the article stated, they invision him as an HBack.. Mills last year was drafted for that purposed.

We have depth at that position with the additions we added this offseason

Why? Because there is VALUE in DB in the 4th and 5th round. DB, specifically safety, has a tremendous amount of depth this year.

There is no better value than RB late in the draft.... RB's are a dime a dozen and can be found late in the draft. This is why the pick makes no sense.

As someone pointed out, pick best player available.. And I have to believe there is better value than a "hybrid" "HBACK" player at those picks..

No reason to draft Leonard here especially when we drafted a kid last year that fits the same mold, Mills. As the article stated, they invision him as an HBack.. Mills last year was drafted for that purposed.

We have depth at that position with the additions we added this offseason

Excepot that MILLS doesn't fit the same mold and you are truly being ignorant for tyring to say that he does. MILLS is NOT a RB. Mills has never been a FB. He's a PROJECT to be a FB. The reason he was projected into the FB positition is because he wasn't tall enough to be a TE and because people felt he could get his pads down low enough to block as a FB out of the backfield.

Leonard is MORE than just a FB. And that is what you are missing. Leonard has the ability to be a NORTH/SOUTH Style runner from the RB position. He's also got the ability to lead-block, run from the FB position, and run routes. He's also decent at picking up blitzes. He could become a 3rd down style back. A change of pace from Maroney's slashing style running.

There is no better value than RB late in the draft.... RB's are a dime a dozen and can be found late in the draft. This is why the pick makes no sense.

As someone pointed out, pick best player available.. And I have to believe there is better value than a "hybrid" "HBACK" player at those picks..

It makes no sense to you because you have yourself believing that because people describe Mills as an H-back and Leonard as having the ability to fill that role, it means they are from the same mold.

They're not and its pure ignorance to believe otherwise.

If BB drafts Leonard with #28, why automatically assume its a mistake? Maybe BB thinks the kid will be the next Larry Centers...

Excepot that MILLS doesn't fit the same mold and you are truly being ignorant for tyring to say that he does. MILLS is NOT a RB.

Never once did I say he was a running back

It makes no sense to you because you have yourself believing that because people describe Mills as an H-back and Leonard as having the ability to fill that role, it means they are from the same mold.

They're not and its pure ignorance to believe otherwise.

Having a different position on a debate is not being ignorant. Mills was projected to play the position you have Leonard at..

Mills is a very smart player who has been able to line up in a variety of different positions (in-line tight end, H-back and fullback) without making mental errors.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/mills_garrett

I don't care just about value we also need pure quality.

I want a piece of the Safeties in the 3rd or 4th round, yes. But I also want a top echelon one in ROUND ONE. And a LB or CB in ROUND ONE assuming one we like is there.

I don't want Leonard then two more James Sanders just because he was good value.

I don't care just about value we also need pure quality.

I want a piece of the Safeties in the 3rd or 4th round, yes. But I also want a top echelon one in ROUND ONE. And a LB or CB in ROUND ONE assuming one we like is there.

I don't want Leonard then two more James Sanders just because he was good value.

You have the same idea as me. I want a Safety in the first, and a Safety in either the third, or fourth round. I would like a LB in either the 1st/3rd/4th, and a CB in either the 1st/3rd/4th.

My first option would be CB and Safety in the first with a LB in the third, and another Safety in the fourth. That's only FOUR picks out of the TEN they should have on draft day. If people wan't DE's/OG's/OT's/RB's/WR's/DT's use the final SIX draft picks on them. It's not like they only have 5 picks, or something.

Last edited:
You have the same idea as me. I want a Safety in the first, and a Safety in either the third, or fourth round. I would like a LB in either the 1st/3rd/4th, and a CB in either the 1st/3rd/4th.
Maybe I'll look stupid after the draft but I think it's clear that we're drafting mostly defense. Offensively I could see an OT to fix the RT situation and that's about it, maybe a biggish back on the second day. I'm usually OK drafting TE but having 3 with two of them being young, leaves me underwhelmed - if we didn't have Thomas that would be different.

Maybe I'll look stupid after the draft but I think it's clear that we're drafting mostly defense. Offensively I could see an OT to fix the RT situation and that's about it, maybe a biggish back on the second day. I'm usually OK drafting TE but having 3 with two of them being young, leaves me underwhelmed - if we didn't have Thomas that would be different.

I like Thomas, and think he might turn into NE's best TE.

Olsen to me is the only TE who is even close to first round value, but not for the Pats. Olson is a horrid blocker, and while he was a physical freak at the combine he was also very inconsistant during his career at Miami. Considering NE's already having Watson, and Thomas I wouldn't touch Olsen with a ten foot pole.

I agree BIG TIME. If anyone has paid attention the Patriots seem to take the best availabe at any position. If the #1 rated TE is on the board when it's their pick the Patriots will grab him regardless. At least it seems that way to me.

I disagree, I think we are set at TE. With Watson, Thomas, Brady & Mills. I'd be shocked if we use a #1 pick on a TE. I wouldn't be suprised if we pick one on day 2 though, I really like Spaeth from Minnesota, he would be a nice replacement for Brady in a year or two.

I really really like Leonard, I think he has Patriots written all over him. But I don't like him in the #28 spot, just not the right spot, and not a good value. We have so many more needs. We need to fill a LB or DB hole with 24 & 28.

With Pioli & Belichick though, I would not be suprised if we pick OL, TE or WR with one of the 1st round picks. I do think the Pats are enamored with Leonard, so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a Patriot with pick #28. I wouldn't be upset either, but unless they fill the LB & DB holes through FA, I think it would be a mistake. If he winds up being an ultimate weapon, then a great pick, but if he winds up being another Tommy Vardell, it wold be a wasted pick.

With Pioli & Belichick though, I would not be suprised if we pick OL, TE or WR with one of the 1st round picks. I do think the Pats are enamored with Leonard, so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a Patriot with pick #28. I wouldn't be upset either, but unless they fill the LB & DB holes through FA, I think it would be a mistake. If he winds up being an ultimate weapon, then a great pick, but if he winds up being another Tommy Vardell, it wold be a wasted pick.

This is a likely scenario, despite what we all think and believe, we have no idea, if there is a very good O lineman available at #24 or #28 they might go for it as there is never enough quality depth there. Overall believe that this draft will be considered defensive overall.

Really what ever team selects Leonard will get a good player, but he doesn't warrent anything higher than a second rounder. Instead of staying at the playing weight he was effective at all season he dropped weight because he would like to be a RB, not FB. At FB he lacked the ideal size as a blocker, and could sometimes struggle at rerouting LB's. If anything Leonard should have gained another 10-15lbs and stayed at FB, because that is what most teams wanted him for.

Also, he has to stop doing this:
354958987_l.jpg

leonard.jpg

ncf_u_leonard_195.jpg

"The Leonard Leap" would get him killed at the next level.

Last edited:
imo - the backfield isnt a pressing need to go into the 1st day to address anything, if it was to snag leonard, then the pats take their 28th pick and trade out of the first round to pick up a 2nd/3rd or 4th...then draft leonard...

I think our running game is a major issue, but since it looks like we might be a passing team, I think OL is more important than RB. If we can get Leonard in round 3, great, but I prefer we beef up the OL in rounds 3 and later than the RB position. I don't think our OLine is great, it's probably average to slightly above average. I hope we switch our blocking scheme as well, to a zone blocking scheme, if we do that, Maroney will be a top 5 back in this league. Beef up the O-Line, and worry about RB's in round 4 or later.

...I think we are set at TE. With Watson, Thomas, Brady & Mills.
Alas, poor Matt Kranchick, just an ink blot on the off-season roster, a forgotten TE left to languish and toil in anonymity. **sigh** :p

I dont think there's anything sad or surprising or wasteful at all. Leonard is going to be a great pro, and a great power complement to Moroney. He's been one of my top 5 prospects for the Pats, since even before Dillon was released. It's all about character and outlook.

Everyone assumes he's a 2nd round "value", but that's crap. If you believe it, you've been reading too many mock drafts. The measure of a first round pick for BB/SP is whether the player will be a perennial starter in our scheme. By that measure, Leonard is easily worth #28.

Who here regrets spending #32 on Watson or Mankins? Neither one was a first round prospect pre-draft.

I agree with rook, I think Leonard is decent value at #28 (Much better value in the 40's). Many of the draftniks are pointing to his perceived inability, due to lack of speed, to stretch it outside and get yardage there. But a quick peek at last year shows that Dillon couldn't do that either. So I don't think that is a deal breaker for BB.
One thing that no one is talking much about is that Leonard is not that bad in blitz pickup. He rates fairly high in diagnosing where the blitz is coming from. Combine that with the fact that he runs decent wheel and swing routes and can run inside and you begin to see where he can add value to our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes