PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saban on BB's schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It Is What It Is » Nick Saban breaks down Bill Belichick’s hybrid/subpackage defenders

A couple of blog posts point to the same video; Christopher Price went first, then SMY went with the same thing without crediting Price.

Nick Saban, in explaining something from his current scheme, said he took it straight from BB in Cleveland. It started as a terminology question about nickel and dime schemes, but it turned into Saban saying in effect "Look. Whether the guy playing the role has an LB's body or a DB's, it's the same role. So we give it the same name, and teach it the same way to both groups."

Title got me excited, it was more like Saban describes Belichicks terms, not breaks down his sub D.

Edit: Still good stuff, just not how the article title reads.

Last edited:
Title got me excited, it was more like Saban describes Belichicks terms, not breaks down his sub D.

Edit: Still good stuff, just not how the article title reads.

Fair enough, but I'd say it does describe a constraint on BB's schemes, namely that while lots of details change from play to play, the principles are similar.

in regards to the responsibilities of the 2 positions here's what Saban said:

star - line up on slot most of the time, don't need great long speed, need quickness and cover ability, good tackler, good blitzer, ability to cover a slot guy

money - LB characteristics w/ regards to run, ability to cover a TE, has to be able to do many of the things that a star can do

My take - In ideal world you would want 2 guys who could play either role. We might just have that in Mayo and Hightower. Here's to hoping . . .

Nick Saban (and college coaches in general) are so much more open in regards to concepts/scheme than their NFL counterparts. It's great to listen to. I'll take this over all the usual NFL hype that gets reported....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST