PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rutgers WR Brandon Coleman to enter 2014 NFL Draft

Do we really need another receiver?? If we go offense, we need OL and then TE. I don't think we need a wr.

Do we really need another receiver?? If we go offense, we need OL and then TE. I don't think we need a wr.

I don’t disagree my man but 6’6 220 Lb. receivers with a 4.4 forty time is intriguing. Picture this red zone package.

WR-X: Coleman 6’6 220 Lbs.
WR-Y: Dobson 6’3 210 Lbs.
TE: Gronkowski 6’7 265 Lbs.

I don’t disagree my man but 6’6 220 Lb. receivers with a 4.4 forty time is intriguing. Picture this red zone package.

In a perfect world only lol. Those 3 could give nightmares to any defense, no matter how good that D is.

I like a big guy ... I really wanted Colston when he came out ... he was in my mock.
I think in today's NFL I'd rather have a tall stretch the field horizontally type of receiver because stretching it vertical is very hard due to athletic pass rushers and very fast DB's. As long as you have a great sideline passer ... Brady's time for that is among the best ever.

Last edited:
I like a big guy ... I really wanted Colston when he came out ... he was in my mock.

His highlight reel is pretty impressive. I don't watch much college football so I am not that knowledgable about him but 6'6 220 lbs. isn't something you see a lot of at the WR position.

I just watched that clip, and OMG. I think you are on to something B6. He would excel with Tom if he can learn the playbook.

Watch his highlights and he is impressive and he's bound to impress in his underpants at the combine. But I do think he's going to need a while to develop as an NFL WR. He absolutely has the physical tools, I need more convincing that he has the positional skills.

As for him being a likely Patriot, I'm not convinced:

How do you fit him on the team? We're not going to cut Dobson so that leaves Boyce or Thompkins. I'm not ready to give up on either considering the difficult year invested in them so far. It's been a tough year getting these rookies into our offense. Do we really want to go through it again next year? The last few years of Brady's career should be about reaping the rewards of all the hard work gone into this year.

For all the talk about him coming from Rutgers, have we ever drafted an offensive player from Rutgers? BB's obsession with the place seems more about defense to me. Having said that, we have signed two receivers from the school so it's not impossible.

In truth, I'd be OK with drafting him because the upside is huge but I'm not convinced the risk or the required effort is necessarily worth it. And anyways, we've already got a huge and Athletic Rutgers alum for the position.

In a perfect world only lol. Those 3 could give nightmares to any defense, no matter how good that D is.

Not if the D-line gets to TFB first, I think OL and TE are much bigger needs, but he is an interesting player.

Not a priority but I still feel like BB will grab him if he is available

We have at least two offensive linemen and potentially one defensive lineman to get first. Then we can think about luxuries such as wide receiver.

We have at least two offensive linemen and potentially one defensive lineman to get first. Then we can think about luxuries such as wide receiver.

and a tight end. Honestly I wouldn't look at Wide receiver until the 4th round

I think we can get Coleman in the 2nd round, unless he runs like a 4.3 in the 40 like Stephen Hill did (boosted him from a 4th tound pick to a 2nd round). I've been high on him, definitely has 1st round skills, but the QB play at Rutgers has been horrendous, that's why he will probably slip to the 2nd round. ALSO, he's admitted he hasn't played good enough this year.

That being said, I agree that both lines and TE are more of a concern. Both can be addressed during FA though. Coleman, Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce along with Amendola certainly would be a lot of talent for defenses to worry about. P.S., Mark Harrison, Coleman's teammmate at Rutgers last season, is a fine project with good size and speed. Could be switched to TE where he's be a nightmare matchup vs a LB.

I would not complain if Coleman gets drafted by the Pats.

He plays for Rutgers so that automatically makes him a Patriots player come draft day.

He's seen now as a third rounder on nfldraftscout. A lot of these 66 225 lb guys don't work out. Rodney smith went undated last year for example.

Allen Robinson>Brandon Coleman, about the same draft rating

He's seen now as a third rounder on nfldraftscout. A lot of these 66 225 lb guys don't work out. Rodney smith went undated last year for example.

The taller they are the less they can cut.

He plays for Rutgers so that automatically makes him a Patriots player come draft day.

People are overblowing the Rutgers connection a bit. In 2012, the Rutgers defense was in the top 10, played a base 4-3 under (which is the base formation the Patriots were moving towards), alternated constantly between a 4-3/3-4/subpackages, and had a senior class that was recruited by Schiano (who is one of BB's close friends). It was the perfect storm for BB to cherry pick from that underrated, but talented defense.

That said, Jeremy Deering and Jamil Merrell could be a fit on defense this year. Plus Coleman has to be an option because he is a physical freak, but there would definitely be questions about whether he would fit in here.

He got injured in their bowl game on like the very last play when the game was already out of hand.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back