PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Draft Day 2 Cornerbacks

Since the end of the first round I've gone back and watched 7 of the top CB's still available. I was going to write more detailed notes on all of them but I won't have time (I was also hoping to get to Josh Shaw and Steven Nelson). Surprisingly there three of the top guys I really don't like at CB

One of the issues we have is we don't know what kind of scheme and coverage the Pats will run this year so we don't know what kind of CB they may be looking for. What I am confident of though is we won't be running the same system as last year simply because we don't have the same talent at CB. Because of that I'm not necessarily looking for just a physical press-man CB, but someone who has really good fundamentals, especially tackling.

The guys I like are:
(Note: Projections are where I personally think they should go, not where draft experts think they should go)

Eric Rowe- Utah
Positives
Tall, long CB with excellent athleticism. Tested out very well at the combine, especially for his size. Long arms give him good potential as a press corner, but I didn’t really see him do that a lot in the film I saw. Physical in the run game and isn’t afraid to make a tackle (former safety). Special teams contributor.

Negatives
Despite running well at the combine he can be beat deep. Needs to learn to press at the LOS to take advantage of his length. Good but not great cover guy.

Love the length, like the physicality, still has room to grow.

Projection: 2nd round- I think he can be a solid #2 CB in the NFL

PJ Williams- Florida State
Strengths
I love the way he plays the game. Tough, aggressive, instinctual. Versatile, plays both sides of the field, inside and out, and is an active blitzer. Love his physicality, is a strong tackler that can lay a hit and often tries to strip the ball. Playmaker.

Weaknesses
Isn’t an elite athlete. Lacks top end speed and can be beat deep. Not great change of direction skills. Adequate cover skills but not exceptional. Better in man coverage than zone because he can be late to break on balls in front of him, but will likely need safety help over the top against speedy receivers.

Love the way he plays the game, I just wish he were a better athlete. Lack of elite athleticism the only thing keeping him from being a top flight CB prospect.

Projection: 3rd round- I think he can be a good NFL starting CB given the right system. Character could be a concern

D'Joun Smith- Florida Atlantic

Excellent, fluid athlete with loose hips and lots of potential. Still raw and needs to develop and clean up his technique. Not great size or length but very physical in the run game. Good ball skills and temperament for a CB. I think he can develop into a good #2.

Projection: Round 3

Senquez Golson- Ole Miss

If any of you are Red Sox fans you should LOVE Golson. A little fun fact- Golson was drafted by the Red Sox in the 8th round of the 2011 draft. He was seen as a tough sign and one that the Sox would need to push hard to sign away from Ole Miss. As it turns out, despite a strong effort by the Red Sox, Golson chose football over baseball. Because of this, on the last day before the deadline to sign draft picks, the Red Sox had some extra money left over which they used to instead sign Mookie Betts. If Golson had of chosen baseball, the Red Sox never would have gotten Betts.

Now on to the important stuff. I love Golson's game. I love his athleticism, his skill set, his attitude. I love everything about him except that he is 5'9" with short arms. If he were bigger I would take him much earlier, but the size does knock him down because of his limitations playing outside.

Projection: 3rd/4th round

The guys I DO NOT like are:

Ronald Darby- Florida State
I really just don't get the love. He is a much better athlete than he is football player right now and I want football players. He is weak against the run, doesn't play very physical and there have been time I've seen him look completely lost. Overrated as a cover man. To me his is a 5th round developmental guy.

Jalen Collins- LSU
Another guy where I just don't see it. His length makes up for a lot of deficiencies in his game that I don't think will fly in the NFL. He has great length and excellent straight line speed, but he struggles changing direction and needs a lot of technique work. He is much better playing vertical routes where he can use his length and speed, but he is poor against breaking routes. I'm also not convinced about his commitment to playing the run. I think he is another 5th round developmental guy at best because he has physical limitations laterally.

Quinten Rollins- Miami (OH)- See earlier post

Just another random note from watching Williams and Darby. The guy that stood out to me in every game I watched for Florida State was Jalen Ramsey. He is a flat out playmaker that is all over the field. He is going to be a special player in the NFL.

Just another random note from watching Williams and Darby. The guy that stood out to me in every game I watched for Florida State was Jalen Ramsey. He is a flat out playmaker that is all over the field. He is going to be a special player in the NFL.

I'm already chomping at the bit to start watching for next year and Ramsey will be one of the first

Ramsey will be back at corner next season after a season at safety

I'm already chomping at the bit to start watching for next year and Ramsey will be one of the first

He's incredible. I was watching a cut up focusing on Ronald Darby and it was Ramsey making all the plays

He's incredible. I was watching a cut up focusing on Ronald Darby and it was Ramsey making all the plays

I saw that. That's what got my attention too.

You're right of course, they can't possibly take the chance. I just can't shake the hunch that he's an innocent man living a nightmare.
I think so too. He must be pretty sure of his innocence because he asked the police if they could speed up their investigation. He wanted it over before the draft, they refused. So now hes stuck in a pretty horrible situation.

I think so too. He must be pretty sure of his innocence because he asked the police if they could speed up their investigation. He wanted it over before the draft, they refused. So now hes stuck in a pretty horrible situation.

We have the 4th last pick of the draft at #253. If La'el is still there at that stage is it worth the risk?

We have the 4th last pick of the draft at #253. If La'el is still there at that stage is it worth the risk?

As I said to Patchick, if we do actually draft someone who turns out to have been a murderer again, the repercussions in terms of bad publicity would be apocalyptic. I don't know if Kraft would feel the grief is worth it.

Rowe is still my top target left. 32+64 would only get us up to 50 best case and he'll be gone. I still like Hunter at 64 or Cann with a small trade up.

I really hope we Double Dip at CB with all those we already have add Two more to the CB battle. It will be like throwing $h!t at a wall something gotta stick. This could be the Best Front Seven we ever had in the BB tenure.

Ronald Darby- Florida State
I really just don't get the love. He is a much better athlete than he is football player right now and I want football players. He is weak against the run, doesn't play very physical and there have been time I've seen him look completely lost. Overrated as a cover man. To me his is a 5th round developmental guy.

I went into watching CBs expecting this guy to be a turnstyle and shy of contact. From what I saw he is a willing hitter and good enough for his size. Not the greatest form tackler but he delivered hits against Oregon and Miami, and I'm pretty sure against Miami I saw him stand up a TE on an off-tackle run to his side. It is not a large liability I feel.

When I watch Darby on tape I see a CB who does not get beat over top down the sideline, and I see a guy whose "testable athleticism" actually shows up on the field. Double moves can shake him, particularly on posts, but I think on a lot of those his expected safety help is evaporating due to freelancing.

When I watch PJ Williams, Rowe and Collins, I do not see the athleticism. With Collins, I don't even see a guy comfortable playing CB. All these guys have technique issues. I'm more optimistic teaching Darby technique then hoping technique will help Eric Rowe play faster. It could, but I think CB/S tweeners like Rowe = S at the NFL level.

My twitter feed is full of pictures of Byron Jones as a Cowboy. I'm depressed.

My twitter feed is full of pictures of Byron Jones as a Cowboy. I'm depressed.

You'll get over that when you see Edelman eat him alive in our 4th game.

He was the only reason FSU won the Gator game when Winston fired 4 INT's. Well, that and the fact that our offense was/is terrible. But everytime we were threatening on FSU's side of the field, it was Ramsey making a play. Unless there's an injury, he should easily be a top 10 pick.

As for the corners, Rowe is easily the best available and the only guy at that position worth trading UP for.

Here's my 2nd Round. With a trade for us. We deal 64, 96 and our 6th to Philly for 52 and Evan Mathis. We need to get ahead of; Arizona, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

33. Tennessee - Landon Collins - S - Alabama - BPA
34. TB - Jake Fisher - OL - Oregon - Protect Jameis.
35. Oakland - Randy Gregory - Nebraska - Bookend for Mack.
36. Jax - TJ Yeldon - RB - Alabama Read they love him and need a big back.
37. NYJ - Devon Smith - WR - Ohio St
38. Wash - Jalen Collins - CB - LSU
39. Chi - Jordan Phillips - NT - Oklahoma - Switching to 3-4. Passed on Shelton
40. NYG - E. Goldman - DT - FSU
41. St. L - Donovan Smith - OL - PSU
42. Atl - B. McKinney - LB - Miss St
43. Cleve - J. Strong - WR - Arizona St
44. NO - O. Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA
45. Minn - TJ Clemmings - OL - Pitt
46. SF - E. Kendricks - LB - UCLA
47. Miami - T. Coleman - rb - Indiana
48. SD - Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota Gates eventual replacement.
49. KC - Sammie Coates - wr - Auburn - DGB too much of a character risk.
50. Buff - Bryce Petty - QB - Baylor
51. Hous - Ameer Abdullah - RB - Nebraska - Foster can't play forever.
52. Philly to NE - Ronald Darby - CB - FSU
53. Cincy - Mike Bennett - DT - OSU
54. Detroit - Duke Johnson - rb - Miami
55. Arizona - PJ Williams - CB - FSU - Lost Cromartie
56. Pitt - E. Rowe - CB - Utah - Like physical corners.
57. Carolina - AJ Cann - g - South Carolina - Might move up for a tackle.
58. Balt. - C. Davis - DT - Iowa - I have Jarrett higher. Need a bigger body to replace Ngata
59. Denver - H. Grasu - C - Oregon
60. Dallas - E. Harrold - OLB - Virginia
61. Indy - P. Smith - DE - Miss St
62. GB - D. Perryman - LB - Miami - Would be a great pick for them.
63. Seattle - DGB - WR - Mizzou
64. NE to Philly - Mario Edwards - DL - FSU

If we stood pat, J. Shaw or Marpet??

I am so-so on Darby. He has the talent but character issues worry me. If that is who they pick I will support it and have comfort that at least the talent is there.

If we land Evan Mathis at G too then frankly anything else we do is gravy as we successfully addressed our 3 biggest current needs. before the 2nd round ended.

He'll be a shutdown corner for years.

Maybe, in time. Not in 4 weeks. He looks like the type who will have trouble with those guys like Welker and Edelman whom are more quick in/out of their cuts.

He'll be a shutdown corner for years.

People were saying that about Claiborne too when Dallas drafted him. He could be great and he could also be a complete and utter bust. Let him log some snaps in the NFL first.

People were saying that about Claiborne too when Dallas drafted him. He could be great and he could also be a complete and utter bust. Let him log some snaps in the NFL first.

This applies to every prospect ever.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back