PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Russ Francis killed in plane crash

Damn. This hits home hard for me.

I loved Russ as a player, and he seemed a great guy. I’m also a member of AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) and know Sr VP Richard McSpadden was very well regarded. Ironically, he was Executive Director of the AOPA Air Safety Institute. McSpadden was also former commander of the USAF Thunderbirds. Both are tremendous losses.

Plus, I was flying yesterday myself. I missed yesterday’s game because I was delayed getting home when my plane had problems after I flew a friend to NC. I assume Russ experienced a mechanical problem. The article below states that they experienced an emergency after take-off and crashed attempting to return to the airport, which is consistent with mechanical failure.

It also contained this lovely anecdote:

Investigation into fatal Lake Placid plane crash continues
Reading this article gives me chills as my wife and I were part owners of a Cessna Cardinal. We flew that plane hundreds of hours, at times in instrument conditions, and never had any real scary moments. I still miss after work flights from Fitchburg to dinner on Block Island or walks on the beach at Provincetown. I always read the accident reports and was fully aware of the risks, but still, I loved it. Rest in peace, Russ Francis, a great football player and aviator.

Russ Francis being dubbed “All World” by the great Howard Cosell gave us Patriots fans validity. It mattered. This was before The Big Tuna became coach and then the miracle years of Brady/Belichick. Most Patriots fans, bring younger than 55-60, will never know.

He was a natural who lived to push the boundaries. I remember he violated a clause in his contract that prohibited motorcycle riding, which emerged when, as a player during the offseason, he had to recover from a bad motorcycle accident. Don Hasselbeck his backup played in his stead.

I also remember Hasselbeck saying he took him golfing for the first time. Apparently, Don Hasselbeck was an avid golfer. But he couldn’t believe how quickly Russ Francis became good.

He died doing what he loved. And will never know the indignities of growing old and feeble, perhaps living in a nursing home.

A larger than life character. Thanks, Russ, for making a boy dream. RIP. May the angels fly you high.

I also remember Hasselbeck saying he took him golfing for the first time. Apparently, Don Hasselbeck was an avid golfer. But he couldn’t believe how quickly Russ Francis became good.
saw a story that said Russ took his first flight lesson on Monday and soloed on Friday, the same week. That’s almost unbelievable. But he also said he was flying three times a day. Sounds pretty intense.

RIP Russ.

Sad News indeed. Russ Francis was my favourite player at that time. Always remember how Howard Cosell dubbed hin the All World Tight End.

RIP.

BB had him address the team many years ago. Said something along the lines of 'We always had to gameplan for you."

He was a natural who lived to push the boundaries. I remember he violated a clause in his contract that prohibited motorcycle riding, which emerged when, as a player during the offseason, he had to recover from a bad motorcycle accident. Don Hasselbeck his backup played in his stead.
Yeah, I remember that as well. Unfortunately he was never the same player after that accident. He lost some of his speed, which is what made him so exceptional. But for the first 2-3 years, he was a joy to watch.

RIP Russ, hopefully you will be in the Pats HOF in the next couple years.

It was a different game when you played, but you were a True Complete TE who could catch & block.

Something you would never say About Kelce or Tony Gonzalez

Me: [goes to Patsfans.com via muscle memory, after deciding to swear it off for a while]
My inner voice: "You'll be sorry."

Yeah, today sucks.

He was one of the big names when I was a Patriots fan rookie. Farewell and thanks for the memories.

When it comes to Russ, I always have this image (from a home game v the Jets). Grogan drops one to Russ down the left sideline (towards south endzone). There is a crowd of white Jets jerseys, and Russ just pops up from the middle of them and makes the catch. Absolute trust between him and Grogan.

Wow with this and Wakefield it's a few really bad days for favorites of my youth. I hope things don't happen in 3's as they say.

I worked at The Globe as a copy boy in the sports department the night Russ Francis was drafted. I remember hundreds, maybe thousands of phone calls one after another, "who did the Patriots draft?" (For some reason, that was how the news traveled.) Everyone said. "who?"

Found memories of younger years. RIP Russ Francis.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back