PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Russ Francis killed in plane crash

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Sad to see this, loved Russ Francis, he was a great player and very much his own guy. Kol Hakovod

First Wake, now Russ. All World TE before Coates, Gronk, Kelse. Godspeed, good sir.

Damn. This hits home hard for me.

I loved Russ as a player, and he seemed a great guy. I’m also a member of AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) and know Sr VP Richard McSpadden was very well regarded. Ironically, he was Executive Director of the AOPA Air Safety Institute. McSpadden was also former commander of the USAF Thunderbirds. Both are tremendous losses.

Plus, I was flying yesterday myself. I missed yesterday’s game because I was delayed getting home when my plane had problems after I flew a friend to NC. I assume Russ experienced a mechanical problem. The article below states that they experienced an emergency after take-off and crashed attempting to return to the airport, which is consistent with mechanical failure.

It also contained this lovely anecdote:

Investigation into fatal Lake Placid plane crash continues

Last edited:
This is a bummer. Russ Francis was one of my favorite Patriots players when I was a kid.

This is awful news.

This is an awful week.

Francis vs Steelers w/ Cosell "All World" call

Wow, that clip shows both Daryl Stingley and Russ Francis catching long TD passes. Both were amazing talents, both died too young.

Francis was a great TE, 6'6" 240's, could run like a deer, catch, block. Swashbuckling persona. Part of that mid 70's Fairbanks team that got screwed by Ben Drieth and should've won at least 1 ring.

When you think about him, then Ben Coates a few years later, then Gronk, that's 3 of the greatest TE's you'll ever see.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back