Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rodney apologizes; full statement transcript; HGH used for injury recovery

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PonyExpress, Aug 31, 2007.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Rodney said everything I'd hoped he would. He took his punishment like a man, apologized for his actions, admitted wrong doing, asked for the forgiveness of children and fans. This is more than any other professional athlete in similar circumstances has ever done, and demonstrates that despite a mistake, Rodney indeed has character where it counts. He will be affected by his error for the rest of his life, losing a portion of the athletic glory that he won over 14 years of sacrifice. An NFL Hall of fame induction, justified by his on field performance, will never occur. That is significant punishment for a significant offense. His apology is heartily accepted by this fan, and I will welcome him with open arms and a clean slate when he returns.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 12 / -5

Re: Rodney apologizes

:agree:

Amen.

[Although, to be fair, I'm not convinced they would have taken Rodney into the HOF, because of his reputation, suspension or no suspension.]

3. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +36 / 5 / -3

Yeah. He took all the blame and was sincere in his apology. And what he said about wanting for the team and his family not to be at all involved in this was good for him to say. I can't explain how much better the apology made me feel.

4. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

+1 Pony. :yeahthat:

5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Here is the full statement from Rodney (thanks to Breer or the Pats PR department...):

He didn't answer any questions.

6. sarge

sarge Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This fan too!

7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Pony, I agree, well said.

8. patsox23

patsox23 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

About as good as it gets. It was still stupid, though.

9. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +36 / 5 / -3

Oh so its no longer "I wanted Rodney to play against the Chargers, F**K YOU!" or "Pathetic. Jerk" huh? Now we know how willing you are to turn on a Patriots player if they do something wrong.

10. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +52 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

sorry, i don't fogive him. I think he should be cut from the team.

11. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It suxx being you then...

12. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

It has to rank among the best sports apologies I can ever remember. He did not do the whole "I am sorry for those who feel offended" crap.

But I'm of two minds here. While I respect him standing up and taking it like a man, he's a cheater. I won't be able to think of him the same way.

I also really want to know what the timing was here. If it really was solely while he was injured and not to gain an edge, it would make me feel better. I'm skeptical if you can ever draw that distinction though.

This is a tough one. A real tough one.

This crap is ruining sports and ruining kids' health and it really hurts when one of your favorites gets caught. Nothing he can say, no matter how eloquent or appropriate, changes that.

13. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

????

Please explain...

14. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

What's to explain? Teenagers are taking this crap in by the boatload and when professional athletes do it, it makes the situation worse. It's bad stuff if not prescribed or monitored by a doctor.

15. patriotsdynasty12189

patriotsdynasty12189 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Once again, he doesnt get to play against the Chargers :(. Man, I feel for you Rodney. Very disapointed but we are human, we make mistakes. As Pony said. He just lost his HOF induction which can be the ultimate let down after such a long, and great career.

16. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I am still very saddened by all this, along with being a touch pissed. The apology was sincere and I'm sure in time that I'll come back to lovign Rodney for being Rodney, but tonight ain't that night.

I love ya Rodney, but what you did was wrong and will hurt this team over then next month.

True to form though, despite the mistake, you took it like a man and didn't do any of that crybaby "not me" crap.

Awww hell, I'm just rambling. This is one of those moments I just don't know what to think. I see a lot bashing people for their thoughts here (too supportinve, not supportive enough, whatever). I think we all just need a day or too process it. One thing I'm sure not looking forward to is all the "sh!tting on him" that you know will occur.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  17. ayjackson

ayjackson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

While it is one of the best apologies I've read, I have some issues with it.

First, he tries to minimize it slightly by stating that he didn't take steriods. I don't see the difference, if he was caught taking sudafed that would be one thing, but there is no real difference between taking steriods and HGH, except that the latter is difficult to test for in an economical and unobtrusive fashion because it occurs naturally in the body.

Second, I'm tiring of athletes claiming they made "mistakes" when intentionally breaking the law, cheating, etc. A mistake is unintentional in nature. What happened here is that Rodney cheated in order to extend his career (I'm not sure I wouldn't) and got caught. The mistake was that he got caught. Why can't they just say that?

A final thought on the injury treatment. I think it's likely common amongst athletes to help the healing process with steriods. I'm not sure that in a vacuum there is anything unethical about this. It is certainly tempting when there are millions of dollars at stake too. Ben Johnson would still be the fastest man on Earth if he wasn't pushing the detection envelope in Seoul in trying to treat a pulled hammy. But it would be impossible to administer any steriod program if you were allowed to take it when injured.

In the end, I won't judge Rodney harshly, but I do hope Saunders takes his job and runs with it. In fact I hope it's Saunders and Merriweather in Week 1 and for the next five or six years. This has nothing to due with the HGH though.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  18. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Although he was a HoF caliber player he also has a lot of enemies and detractors so I think he would have not made it even before this.
    I can't really hold anything against him even now - there's no testing for it, this "being on the wrong list" is the only way to get caught and I bet a tremendous number of players do it. So to be mad at him would be to be mad at bad luck - the bad luck of getting hurt and the bad luck of being on the wrong list. And while that doesn't make it right, I can't hate him for bad luck.

19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Nah, I don't hate him, never will. Quite the opposite, I'll always love him. I'm just pissed, whether its cuz he did it, or that he got caught, I'm not sure. Just shocked and pissed for the moment, I guess I'm allowed one night of that.

Tomorow we'll get into BB mode and say "we're just gonna focus on beating the JEST with the guys that are here" :rocker:

One things for sure, sounds like this is just the begining of all this.

20. rabthepat

rabthepat 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Character prevents you from taking banned substances. Not apologizing after the fact. What option did he have? "Hey fans too bad for you that I was cheating with hgh".

Lets remember this guy is in his 30s, a veteran, supposed team leader and what example has he set for the new players on the team?

Time for Mr. Kraft to show some moxy and cut an aging, cheating veteran and send a message.