PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft talks to Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why the media keeps trying to infer there is strong circumstantial evidence against the Pats. I have heard not one legal opinion outside of Wells "independent" opinion to say there is anything close to inferring something nefarious happened. There isn't ****. They have no case. There is no strong evidence. Those text messages are NOT strong circumstantial evidence. Theyre only strong in the eyes of the mediots BC people hate the Pats and want to believe they've been cheating. There is literally nothing there. I can't for the life of me watch people who have no analyzing ability spin this report as if its damning in any way. It's quite the opposite.

Anyways, good on Kraft for continuing to consider his options. I truly feel like he does not have any other choice at this point but to pursue legal action against these jealous b^tches.

I believe Lester Munson thought Wells had a great case, but I'm not sure if he really qualifies as having a "legal opinion." ;)

As Andy Johnson put it, Wells has a preponderance of opinion. His evidence is "The Patriots said 'X and Y.' I didn't believe it. Guilty." as opposed to "McNally said 'X,' but testimony from this person contradicts that and security footage from the stadium shows he was in a different location at that time than he claimed, therefore, I don't believe him."

I don't think the other wonders fear Kraft. Most are probably rich, arrogant billionaires. Why would they fear Kraft ? He is one. He is nearing death.

I also appreciate the fact that Kraft states "this could happen to any team". He is likely working to get some owners to see past their jealousy and realize that Goodell just set an insane precedent that could hit any of their franchises with equal or worse penalties for extremely minor infractions, even without proof. If they're wise, they will realize that this NFL justice system is truly broken.

I also appreciate the fact that Kraft states "this could happen to any team". He is likely working to get some owners to see past their jealousy and realize that Goodell just set an insane precedent that could hit any of their franchises with equal or worse penalties for extremely minor infractions, even without proof. If they're wise, they will realize that this NFL justice system is truly broken.
Agreed, but the thing is that I believe there is only one owner and franchise Goodell would treat this way.

The messaging is fairly clear - there was evidence against us last time (Spygate), but there's ZERO this time round, so I'm damned if I'm going to roll over...

Hopefully Kraft can converse with NFL officials during the meetings - I suspect the tone of the conversation will be "remove the penalties or we'll see you in court - you've got nothing on us and if you think we're giving up draft picks and suspensions off the back of a sting operation then you're very much mistaken. The ball's in your court, Goodell - and it hasn't been deflated."

Sadly, I can't see Goodell backing down over this - he's far too stubborn to recognise that he's made a big mistake handling this witch hunt. It will have to go to court, surely...

To take the bolded section a step further, in 2007, the Patriots had actually violated a rule, or at least, the Commissioner's interpretation of a rule. They admitted that, took their punishment, and didn't complain afterwards about how out of proportion and over the top it was.

This time, there's no evidence because they didn't do anything wrong. That's why the "They should just admit it and move on" argument makes no sense. When you're innocent, why should you admit guilt just to satisfy the unthinking mob?

Agreed, but the thing is that I believe there is only one owner and franchise Goodell would treat this way.
That's possible, but acknowledging such would be acknowledging malice and corruption from the League's commissioner.

There are inaccuracies in the article. The first two that I noticed are:
  • King suggests that the Pats have control over whether Brady appeals.
  • King says that Brady and Jastremski hadn't talked for six months, when he really means they hadn't talked except face-to-face.

As much as King publishes, it must be hard to avoid that kind of sloppiness ...

I absolutely love it. Kraft went straight to Goodell's little mouthpiece and used him to hurt Goodell. That's like twisting the knife right there, in addition to the fact that MMQB has a ton of readers and this will likely now get his comments onto ESPN, sports radio etc. Kraft is waging a war on public opinion before he even gets to court...

I love how all his answers about court and consequences against his fellow owners were essentially answered with "we'll see what happens shortly", and even answered a question about staying on all of his various committees with "we'll see in a week or two"... He likely just scared the hell out of most of the owners, and s*** is about to get real at these meetings. He's threatening litigation and other consequences hardcore and will now see where his peers stand.

To the extent that Kraft negotiates with the league -- Goodell, his fellow owners, anybody -- he's achieved the starting position that they come to him to start the negotiations and not vice-versa. He'll be asked multiple times "What will it take for you to be satisfied?" He'll also be asked multiple versions of "Would X be enough to satisfy you?"

I further think that that is a large part of his focus, because negotiations are a large part of his business experience and success.

By way of contrast, even though he owns a consumer business (the Patriots), and the Patriots' brand is important to him (he keeps saying so), but he's not an expert at or obsessive about consumer marketing. Evidence: He lets BB get away with "Winning is the priority, and being liked by the press isn't."

If you read this article anyway, take a look at #4 on "Ten things ...". It's about the history of placekicking.

I'm hoping that Kraft shows up armed with a simple bullet point breakdown of some of the inconsistencies in the report, some of the spin, the bogus science, Exponents shady history. Basically take the 'Wells report in context' site and boil it down to a one-pager to hand out to owners and executives around the league.

My guess is most owners haven't spent any time on this case, beyond hearing about it from their own lawyers/executives and seeing what effect it might have on the league. Some are spiteful and/or jealous, some are removed and/or stupid. Give them all a simple, objective breakdown they can read in five minutes which will highlight the Patriots case and why Kraft is so angry. I think it'd go a long way to getting all the cards on the table and showing the other 31 owners that this hasn't been a fair and 'independent' investigation and the penalties, given that fact, were anything but fair.

They've gone too far this time. Taking away draft picks and fining one million dollars is one thing, but subjecting Kraft to a Peter King conversation is downright draconian. No man should have to endure that sort of torture.

I had the pleasure of being a kid at the Orr Walton Hockey camp. Orr was the same humble first class gentleman that we all know. (He was all of about 23) Exactly the same guy, always. There was no front, no acting this way or that, it is simply who he is.

I have come to appreciate and rank Brady with Orr in this regard. Beyond the probable best that has ever been heroics in battle, I have listened to the man, read the books, followed very closely, enough to believe he is the real deal. There are no "slips" because he simply is who he is. thousands of public appearances. Not one "slip". Because that is who he is.

Well,there was that one dig after a Ravens game, I seem to remember....
Been very blessed to have those two play for "my" teams. Thanks.

It is inspiring and uplifting to see Mr Kraft going to the wall for him.
Based on what Mr Kraft knows about the man, he has stepped into a role he never wanted, always avoided.
All based on Tom's word. Based on the word of the same man i have come to know, vicariously.

This reaffirms my experience, confirms what I have come to believe.

There has been much chatter about this, as we all felt the same way, wanted to see this.
We are frustrated to see the man we know treated so shabbily.

So mark this for me as a high point, old fashioned honor and loyalty between two gentleman.
One's word, enough for the other.

That is enough for me, too. Stand and fight against the bullies, the lies.

I love this team. Thanks Mr Kraft.

Quite the epic off season, eh?

Great attitude, but I remain skeptical about Kraft. I do think he is contemplating all his options, including legal ones, however I won't congratulate or praise him until his actions are in correlation with his speech.

He is somewhat responsible for all the things that are happening

"There was no dispute about the facts. The team admittedly said what happened ... It was illegal to videotape and in the end we admitted it and took our penance. This is very different. In 2007, we did something and acknowledged the fact of what was done. This is an accusation of wrongdoing, without proof."

He can't not do something after comments like that.

Think everything is just in wait and see to after goodell passes on the judgement we all already know he's gonna do.

They've gone too far this time. Taking away draft picks and fining one million dollars is one thing, but subjecting Kraft to a Peter King conversation is downright draconian. No man should have to endure that sort of torture.

Ha!

As much as I dislike King for many of his opinions at times, he's BY FAR the most popular NFL writer, seen as objective and fair league-wide. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the type of article that many of the owners actually read. Kraft made it clear that 'this could happen to any of the 32 teams', he resisted firing off any real shots but left everything open-ended. For any owner or executive reading that article, they'd have to come away thinking that Kraft is dead serious about believing Brady's innocent, that Kraft is pissed at what he believes is bogus penalties, and that he's reserving any actions until after the owners meetings this week.

This sets the stage for the meetings, what other owners can expect. I think this was a great way to get Kraft's opinions out in the open just before they convene in SF.

I would like to be a fly on the wall at the owners meeting. The owners would be wise to clean house at NFL headquaters and rescind the fines against the team & Brady's suspension. If not, see you in court and Kraft will win.

Great attitude, but I remain skeptical about Kraft. I do think he is contemplating all his options, including legal ones, however I won't congratulate or praise him until his actions are in correlation with his speech.

He is somewhat responsible for all the things that are happening

I totally agree. The appeal deadline is Thursday. We will know by then whether Kraft really intends to put up a fight.

I believe Lester Munson thought Wells had a great case, but I'm not sure if he really qualifies as having a "legal opinion."
Munson's public opinions should be illegal. Idiot.

Wow. When asked about his current relationship with Goodell, Kraft responds, "You'll have to ask him."

Yiiiiikes. Someone is PISSED.
Very Belichickesque

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results