PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski is the X-factor this superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
besides the fact we actually have a defense, offensively Rob Gronkowski is the x-factor. this is the first time we have had our most deadly weapon in the big game. in 2011 he was a decoy which allowed the giants to cover him one on one and focus their energy on welker.

Some people say that earl thomas(one arm) or chancellor can handle Gronkowski one on one. I will have to see it to believe it however. the seahawks put chancellor on Antonio Gates one on one and Gates burned him. Now, as good as gates is gronkowski is a whole other beast.

The colts did a pretty good job on Gronkowski. But what we dont see is they devoted more than one player to Gronk which in turn left Edelman open to have a big game.

How Gronkowski performs vs. 1 on 1 coverage is going to be a huge key in our offense getting going. If the seahawks have to double Gronk then it makes it easier for the rest of the receivers.

I actually think their defensive mindset may be to cover up Gronk and Edelman. Not let them beat them. I think Lafell, Amendola and Hooman/Wright may have big games. I would love to see them run a one back spread offense, and then Blount/Gray gash them up the middle. My one problem with Brady is sometimes he keys in too much on Gronk, Most of his INTs this season were trying to force the ball into him. Hell, I was watching SB 38 highlights against Carolina, and the only INT Brady threw was trying to force the ball into Fauria. Threw an INT against the Giants, trying to force the ball to Gronk. See a trend ? I love Gronk as a weapon, but don't try to force it, we have many weapons.

In addition, Gronk doesn't have to concern himself much or not at all with injury. He can let it all hang out. And in some ways, he has been, it seems to me, somewhat under-utilized in several game plans. So, I can see where he may get plenty of action in this game--that is unless his coverage is permitting Lafell, Amendola and co. to be really effective.

I actually think their defensive mindset may be to cover up Gronk and Edelman. Not let them beat them. I think Lafell, Amendola and Hooman/Wright may have big games. I would love to see them run a one back spread offense, and then Blount/Gray gash them up the middle. My one problem with Brady is sometimes he keys in too much on Gronk, Most of his INTs this season were trying to force the ball into him. Hell, I was watching SB 38 highlights against Carolina, and the only INT Brady threw was trying to force the ball into Fauria. Threw an INT against the Giants, trying to force the ball to Gronk. See a trend ? I love Gronk as a weapon, but don't try to force it, we have many weapons.

Thats where Gronkowski still is an X-factor. If they focus on stopping him and put more than one defender on him there should be an advantageous matchup somewhere with Lafell/Vereen/Amendola against a lessor defender.

this could be a game for Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes