PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Marty Schottenheimer

For those who didn't know Marty played for the Boston Patriots in 1969 and left the game as a player in 1970 - after 4 years of retiring as a player he then began his coaching career - A great man R.I.P. Marty Ball

Rest in peace, Marty.

I know from personal, first-hand experience, that Alzheimer's is just the worst way to go. Hopefully he didn't suffer too much.

One of just eight coaches to win 200 games in the NFL - every other eligible HC with that many victories is in the Hall of Fame.

That's more wins than more than 20 others who are in the Hall as head coaches.

To put it in perspective that is more wins than:
  • George Allen plus Jimmy Johnson combined; or
  • John Madden plus Bill Walsh combined, or
  • Vince Lombardi plus Tom Flores combined.

Some of the other Hall of Fame head coaches with fewer wins:
  • Chuck Noll
  • Bill Parcells
  • Bud Grant
  • Joe Gibbs
  • Bill Cowher
  • Marv Levy
  • Tony Dungy
  • Hank Stram
  • Weeb Ewbank
  • Sid Gillman

RIP to the former Boston Patriot linebacker.

Garbage Author, garbage rag, garbage media.

Journalism is DEAD.
Long azz fall from Woodward and Bernstein to taking shots at a recently deceased football coach. Disappointing to say the least. I wonder it it was BS.

EDIT: appears that it's not BS and they backtracked twice.

Last edited:
Loved the Marty Browns.

He must be the only HC in NFL history to get fired with a 14 - 2 record.

Long azz fall from Woodward and Bernstein to taking shots at a recently deceased football coach. Disappointing to say the least. I wonder it it was BS.

EDIT: appears that it's not BS and they backtracked twice.
They can change the headline all they want. The internet never forgets.

Garbage media is garbage.

I just thought he was older than 77. Really too young to go that way, IMO. RIP, Coach.

Loved the Marty Browns.

He must be the only HC in NFL history to get fired with a 14 - 2 record.

Marty was an old school, smash-mouth, defensive-minded coach which stylistically owners didn't appreciate.

In looking back at his CLE, KC, WASH and SD exits, Marty was uncompromising in what he believed to be true north -both with his coaching and how he managed his career. His departure from the Chiefs seemed amicable but Modell, Snyder and Spanos absolutely did him dirty.

Damn shame he never won one.

Thought he was a great coach with some bad breaks and maybe some questionable decisions. But we can say that about a lot of coaches including our own when those don’t work out or just flat out bad luck with the fumbles.

Tbh I don’t really know too much about the man except that he was a hard nosed, iron type of personality from afar. Condolences to his family, friends, players and teammates. Was defintely part of the football I grew up watching in the 80’s and on.

Marty was an old school, smash-mouth, defensive-minded coach which stylistically owners didn't appreciate.

In looking back at his CLE, KC, WASH and SD exits, Marty was uncompromising in what he believed to be true north -both with his coaching and how he managed his career. His departure from the Chiefs seemed amicable but Modell, Snyder and Spanos absolutely did him dirty.

Damn shame he never won one.
I was suspicious that he was blackballed throughout the NFL after he was fired by Spanos. I mean, a coach in his early sixties with over 200 wins coming off a 14-2 season and no team is interested in hiring the guy. Does not make sense, especially when you consider all the deadwood that was hired for head coach positions in the years following. RIP, Marty. You did not get a fair shake.

I was suspicious that he was blackballed throughout the NFL after he was fired by Spanos. I mean, a coach in his early sixties with over 200 wins coming off a 14-2 season and no team is interested in hiring the guy. Does not make sense, especially when you consider all the deadwood that was hired for head coach positions in the years following. RIP, Marty. You did not get a fair shake.
I suspect the dark cloud of "Martyball" hanging over his head became too big for it's own good.

Ironically, had he just played "Martyball" against the Pats, they would have won that game.

there were reports that schottenheimer might come to NE after Pete Carroll. this was in the Herald (iirc from Kevin Mannix) and on weei back then. the thinking was that after all the undisciplined activity off the field (everclear, ty laws cousin, etc) Krafty Bob wanted an old school hard ass coach and Schottenheimer fit the bill.

there were reports that schottenheimer might come to NE after Pete Carroll. this was in the Herald (iirc from Kevin Mannix) and on weei back then. the thinking was that after all the undisciplined activity off the field (everclear, ty laws cousin, etc) Krafty Bob wanted an old school hard ass coach and Schottenheimer fit the bill.
I remember that and I remember being ok with it.

I also remember preferring him over BB.

I suspect the dark cloud of "Martyball" hanging over his head became too big for it's own good.

Ironically, had he just played "Martyball" against the Pats, they would have won that game.
Was reading last night that after the 06 season Spanos told Marty not to hire his brother as DC and not bother to fly him in for interviews. Marty did anyway. There was already a power struggle between he and AJ Smith. Marty put Spanos to the test and lost.

Going against an owner's wishes will get you blackballed for sure.

I think Marty was strong-willed - maybe even hard-headed but he stood his ground. I respect the hell out of that.

Was reading last night that after the 06 season Spanos told Marty not to hire his brother as DC and not bother to fly him in for interviews. Marty did anyway. There was already a power struggle between he and AJ Smith. Marty put Spanos to the test and lost.

Going against an owner's wishes will get you blackballed for sure.

I think Marty was strong-willed - maybe even hard-headed but he stood his ground. I respect the hell out of that.
Going against people who know football is a good way to become the owner of a losing team.

Put this in another post before I saw this one but wanted to reemphasize:

Marty never got his due. Missed the SB because 2 kickers couldn't make FG's inside 50 yards, one RB couldn't hold onto the ball at the 1 yard line, and a DB didn't know enough to give himself up after an interception and then fumbled. His record is very good, I think 200-126, in several Conference Championship games with 3 different teams. His best coaching job was turning an 0-8 Redskin team into 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB. Dan Snyder, the eternal meddler, enamored of Steve Spurrier dumped Marty and the Redskins have been crap ever sense. If he had kept Marty and left him alone, they would have been winners. There are many coaches that never got their due. Marty is at the top of that list.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back