PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rewatching SB49 and SB51...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000army

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
and I have come to the conclusion that SB49 was better all around... don't get me wrong..51 was amazing but if I could choose to only have 1 game it would be 49 hands down. The more improbable comeback was against Seattle. The emotions I felt were way higher in 49. The drought that we went through was lifted. After 49 I felt Brady cemented himself as #1 in popular opinion. 51 was icing on the cake. That comeback was an extra scoop of ice cream but the cake itself was SB49.

I thought after a week I would feel different but I don't.

The best part is the Pats aren't done. I can easily see 2 more SB wins in the TFB/BB era.

I could see another, I'd not be surprised NOT to see another.

We must appreciate the ones we have, because NE fans are currently living the sports dream. SBs have been won. But they are difficult to get. Very lucky fanbase to be following a team so well assembled with so much heart / skill.

49 was better. The matchup was of 2 juggernauts. From the time revis was signed, ne and seattle went into that season as the best teams in their conference and the liksely sb matchup, they both got There, and the game lived up to the hype. its very rare that happens, maybe 1997 was the last matchup and game this good.

Give atl credit for playing well at the right time and taking us to the limit, but theyre not in that category.

49 was better. The matchup was of 2 juggernauts. From the time revis was signed, ne and seattle went into that season as the best teams in their conference and the liksely sb matchup, they both got There, and the game lived up to the hype. its very rare that happens, maybe 1997 was the last matchup and game this good.

Give atl credit for playing well at the right time and taking us to the limit, but theyre not in that category.

Super Bowl 49 also the highest rated Super Bowl of all time.

TB12 became GOAT after SB51, so I'll go with that.

I'm watching the 2nd half right now and wow... Alford was holding a lot.

2 near INTs came on plays where he was grabbing Edelman.

I remember hearing he led the league in DPI/Defensive holding, which isn't surprising.

Super Bowl 49 also the highest rated Super Bowl of all time.
49 was a close game thru out, everyone turned off tv after 2 1/2 qtr last week hence the lower rating

The comeback against Atlanta was a lot tougher than the comeback against Seattle. I can't see how there is even a debate. Seattle is the better team than Atlanta, agreed, but a 10 point deficit with 8 minutes left looks good compared to a 25 point deficit with 17 minutes left.

At a comparable point in the Atlanta game as when the Patriots were down by 3 against Seattle, New England was down by 16 against Atlanta. I don't care if it's a matter of having to play the 85 Bears down by 3 with 7 minutes left, I'd rather play them than be behind the 06 Indy Colts down by 16 with 8 left.

Collingsworth was so butt hurt after the Butler interception. It's enjoyable to hear him crying EVERY time.
You could tell he wanted the Pats to lose, something about the way Al Michaels talked to him you could tell Cris was disappointed more than shocked about the pick. Hell it took him two minutes of *****ing to give Butler credit for it

nah, i like this come back better. both are my favorites. i like it over our rams win

nah, i like this come back better. both are my favorites. i like it over our rams win

The comeback yeah, but the Seattle game was just as intense for longer. The Falcons game you had the full range of emotions.. pumped up at the start.. then you see the game starting to slip away.. then its turning into a blowout.. you start doing the math in your head if its even possible for them to come back.. then they start coming back.. but then they only managed a FG down by 19.. and your thinking well there might be enough time for 2 TD drives with 2 2 point conversions but its probably not gonna happen.. and then they get the 1st one.. and now everyone starts getting there hopes up.. And then they tie the game and everyone is going ****ing crazy because of the amazing plays and now everyone thinks they are going to pull it off.. and it goes to OT and they win and disbelief mixed with a Super Bowl euphoric win takes hold.

Not to mention that win made the NFL offices mad.. and then we made them look like fools by booing Roger off the Stage, and then the Parade was the mic drop... Dola has a fire goodell hat on lol.. Patricia with his clown t shirt.. I can see why the last one is someones favorite Super Bowl.

Only thing is there was a little luck involved with that last Super Bowl.

Have to agree that SB49 was a better four quarter game. I've rewatched SB51 a couple times this past week, and the first two and a half quarters are brutal.

The story of SB51 is definitely better, but SB49 is no slouch with that comeback and the three play sequence culminating in the Butler interception is crazy; the Kearse catch, Hightower saving the TD, and then the Butlerception.

Not only was SB49 the overall better game, but I would also argue that Brady played very well throughout. The first INT was bad; the second one was kind of Gronk's fault IIRC. 10 points down in the 4th is not as mathematically improbable as the SB51 come back was. But it was still against the best defense of the era, and the Patriots offense had to play so disciplined to win (hard earned YAC, ball protection, slim windows for Brady, etc) that it's still really impressive.

That said, obviously SB51 is the more historically mind-boggling game, the better story against all odds, and that sort of transcends the overall quality of football in the first 2.5 quarters.

our 2nd half against the panthers were awesome too. they all have great moments. but 51 was just magical. we were brutally bad. 28-3. and we won. stuff like that doesn't happen in the real world.

I do think 49 was better played and I thought the Butler INT made it a game for the ages. But I think with time, SB 51 will be more remembered. The comeback was so improbable. There have been over 15,000 NFL games and in only 7 has a team down 25 won! And it was so late - we did not cut it to 19 until 17 minutes left. In the end, the comeback will all, and that is fitting, cause TB12 is the most never-say-die player I have ever seen play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes