PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Source: Maroney placed on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought he was a highly over rated player and best used as a kick returner and backup RB. I was very vocal for years on this board on that and got nothing but grief for it. He goes down way too easily when the 1st guy hits him. Yes he's fast and therefore can return kicks where if you pick the right slot you don't get hit. The run game went down the toilet when Dillon got old and retired. We passed a lot last year not only because we wanted to, but also because we were making up for a very weak running game.

I always thought he was a highly over rated player and best used as a kick returner and backup RB. I was very vocal for years on this board on that and got nothing but grief for it. He goes down way too easily when the 1st guy hits him. Yes he's fast and therefore can return kicks where if you pick the right slot you don't get hit. The run game went down the toilet when Dillon got old and retired. We passed a lot last year not only because we wanted to, but also because we were making up for a very weak running game.

That exactly how the playoff's went. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So, what current college players would be the best fit here?

Curious...

He should have addressed this problem in last year's draft.

I wonder if he will next year...
Maybe, we do have extra picks.
I am hopeful we can draft 4 RBs and trade a few picks for at least 2 Veteran QBs.
Then all will be well once again.

Re: Maroney to IR

I have a real tough time when people "blame" players for being injured.

I'm not saying that personal care and conditioning doesn't play a factor - but I tend to agree its just bad luck with Maroney, given the different sorts of injury.

If anyone can tell me there's clinical evidence of athletes that have weak joints, ligaments, tendons, etc. I'd be interested to know about such clinical issues that make one "prone to injury".

Thats just a fancy way of making an excuse. Some pundits warned of Maroney's shoulder coming out of college. Some guys can't stay healthy, and thats what seperates the avg players from the elite ones. The elite ones manage to stay healthy and be productive. Maroney has never been healthy and if it's not one thing it's the other. Every body is different, so thats why your calls for evidence of weak ligaments and tendons is laughable. Some guys get hurt alot, some don't. If you or I played in the NFL was would be on ir after the first week. It's simple, some guys can't take the pounding. Yes, you are going to get hurt sometimes, but Maroney has been an injury machine since day one.

If your going to excuse guys from being injury prone, why don't you excuse them for having poor vision of fumbleides. It's not their fault, they are trying hard and they made it to the pros didn't they?

Maroney is not even that great of a runner, not a big loss.

Last edited:
While I'm not one of the people who has been calling for Maroney's head since his first game, at this point I think it's reasonable to at least acknowledge that the guy probably isn't the answer. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start scouting running backs, though I'd rather not see us spend another first round pick on one.

This is addition by substraction, more touches for Morris and Jordan make us a much better football team............

That sucks. Kind of explains his interview that was posted a few days ago. Sounds like he's been trying to play through it. It's a tough position to play, especially when you're oft injured early in the career.

you win some you lose some.

He was the 2nd RB taken in the draft behind Bush. I guess the other possibility was to pick up Addai or wait to the 2nd round and grab MJD or LWhite.

The moral of the story - don't wast your time taking a back in round 1.

As for this year, I like Morris and Jordan if he can come back. Obviously Faulk is a great 3rd down back.

OH SH!T. Just saw Morris is questionable.

OKOK. This could be bad.

Uh, he's put on IR because he's injured. Anybody know if he has some sort of chronic shoulder condition? Hasn't he had shoulder problems in previous seasons?

There goes his 15 or 20 yards rushing per game average out the window :rolleyes:

I am betting the vast majority in here could care less since his presence has only been noticed in about 6 games in his 3 year career

Morris is more than capable of filling the tiny void and once Jordan comes back and Faulk in the mix, fans will surely be saying Lawrence who? in a few weeks

Re: Maroney to IR

Maroney's done. Stick a fork in him. Not that it matters. The number of "unique" running backs in the league is quite low, and we have ours in Faulk. Past him, the rest are a dime a dozen.

Once again, the lesson is learned: never, ever draft a RB in the first round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST