PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' Latest 53 projection (54 actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying I love the guy. I'm not saying I'd miss him if he were picked up by someone else. What I am saying is the following:

(1) The guy appears to have more talent and potential than certain 3rd QB's on other teams;

(2) As a result of point (1) supra, he is likely to draw interest from those other teams; and

(3) the Patriots do not typically stock their PS with players likely to draw interest from other teams.

Based on the foregoing, it is my opinion that the Patriots will not release Gutierrez. Feel free to disagree with any or all of the above points, but please do not put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying I love the guy. I'm not saying I'd miss him if he were picked up by someone else. What I am saying is the following:

(1) The guy appears to have more talent and potential than certain 3rd QB's on other teams;

(2) As a result of point (1) supra, he is likely to draw interest from those other teams; and

(3) the Patriots do not typically stock their PS with players likely to draw interest from other teams.

Based on the foregoing, it is my opinion that the Patriots will not release Gutierrez. Feel free to disagree with any or all of the above points, but please do not put words in my mouth.

I guess I see your point, but I still wouldn't keep him at the expense of somebody who might contribute this year. Hell, I'd go with 2 QBs if it were up to me (thank goodness its not). I say cut him and hope he makes the PS. If somebody snatches him up, those are the breaks.

All these teams had an equal opportunity with the Pats to sign Gutierrez after the draft. Gutierrez elected to come here. Maybe he values winning, or being the understudy to Brady, or the atmosphere, or something, but we should all keep in mind he elected to come here, we didn't draft him.

I expect there already is/will be a backroom deal worked out a la Yates from last year, involving roster money for a PS slot. It's hard to imagine another team coming along that would offer Gutierrez a better #3 QB role than the one he freely signed up for 4 months ago.

So I say 2 QBs, with Gutierrez on the PS, and Testaverde in the rolodex. There are plenty of rookie draft picks and veteran depth that won't be as "sticky" as Gutierrez is once they hit waivers.

Absosmurfly no way there are 4 QBs on this roster. If the team decides to keep Guts, they will waive Vinny.

Based on his pre-season performance I hope like hell they keep Gutz and let Vinny sign later in the year after someone at another position gets injured.

Gemara is AWFUL. He was toasted all camp per Mrs B. BB has to find someone with more capability and upside.
Yup, that's what Mrs. B reported; still, he's been signed twice by the Pats and didn't look that bad when I watched him in preseason, and there's the statement by his agent that he hopes to be back here after he heals up - which may or may not mean the Pats left the door open...we'll just have to wait and see what transpires, either way CB will be a need going forward.

I'm assuming Rodney's suspension clears a roster spot - the only change to my speculation would be to keep either James or Wesley - preferably the latter.

Based on his pre-season performance I hope like hell they keep Gutz and let Vinny sign later in the year after someone at another position gets injured.

Back before TC, I seem to recall getting into a debate with someone on the then-premature and hypothetical topic: "IF Matt Gutierrez looks good in camp and exhibitions, will the Pats risk waivers to the practice squad?" I said no, on the theory that the time has come to start developing another young QB and promising, dirt-cheap backup QBs are fairly rare commodities. I stick by that, so the question now becomes: just how good has he looked?

IMO Gutierrez doesn't approach Cassel's natural athleticism (but in fairness neither does Brady). His arm only looks average, but he didn't look nervous our outclassed which is pretty remarkable given his very scant experience. Considering the Corey Bramlets and Kliff Kingsuburys who've passed through town, I don't think I'd want to let Gutierrez walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes