PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss draws parallel between Crable and other late-bloomers turned solid players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and insightful.

Why did we draft a third rounder with a body made of glass?

Isnt it bad enough we drafted a second round tackle who the wind can blow over let alone an O lineman?

Isnt it bad enough we drafted a second round tackle who the wind can blow over let alone an O lineman?

Maybe because Crable never showed any problems with injuries over his three or four years of starting at Michigan? He wasn't made of glass until he got drafted.

Sure is exciting to see this board go down the tubes.

By your logic, Troy Brown was a "perfect comp" for Chad Jackson through three years. Harrison was an undrafted project who developed after several years of repetitions (and maybe certain modern training methods), not a third round pick at an area of little depth who still couldn't crack the 45.

Crable was healthy for eight weeks and couldn't make the active roster despite the fact that his one supposed strength was also the team's biggest need. Since then he has barely been allowed to practice. Of course it's possible that he could emerge this year, but anyone who sees the last two as reason for optimism needs their head examined. You can't treat the exception as the rule.

When was Crable "healthy for eight weeks and couldn't make the active roster"?? Not his rookie season. It's well known that Crable had the shin injury coming out of camp. No, he wasn't listed on the injury report until the 7th week of the season, when he re-injured it. He was listed as "DOUBTFUL" for the game against the Rams and "OUT" against the Colts. And it was Nov. 5th that he went onto the IR. 3 days AFTER the Colts game.

I have no issues with you hating on the guy or doubting that he'll amount to anything, but get your facts straight.. OH, and though he was on the IR, he was allowed in the film rooms and what not.. And there are hand techniques he can be taught that wouldn't compromise his status.

Who is this 2nd round tackle that the wind can blow over?? The only 2nd round tackles the Pats have drafted under Belichick are Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer.. Neither of whom fall into the category you mentioned..

Nick Kaczur was a 3rd round pick and prior to last year, he was pretty average and was actually better than most people gave him credit for. Last year he did seem to regress, though it could have been because of the issues he had with the law playing on his mind.

The one significant player that I think of who didnt do jack squat his first 2 years and immediately stepped up and made a massive impact was Phillip Rivers leading the Chargers to a 13-3 record his first year starting.

There's obviouslyno substitute for game action and experience. But players such as Rivers have definitely proven that warming a bench for 2 years and never setting foot on an actual field isnt a career killer.

Bur Rivers DID practice with the team every week.. And he watched and learned from Drew Brees..

Crable has had some great potential mentors here. Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Junior Seau. He's not got Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain to mentor him. Personally, I wish BB knew an established LBer coach because Matt Patricia doesn't inspire me, though he clearly has BB's confidence. One has to question how much of Mayo's and Guyton's development was due to Patricia or just due to the Players themselves getting experience.

When was Crable "healthy for eight weeks and couldn't make the active roster"?? Not his rookie season. It's well known that Crable had the shin injury coming out of camp. No, he wasn't listed on the injury report until the 7th week of the season, when he re-injured it. He was listed as "DOUBTFUL" for the game against the Rams and "OUT" against the Colts. And it was Nov. 5th that he went onto the IR. 3 days AFTER the Colts game.

I have no issues with you hating on the guy or doubting that he'll amount to anything, but get your facts straight.. OH, and though he was on the IR, he was allowed in the film rooms and what not.. And there are hand techniques he can be taught that wouldn't compromise his status.
Awesome.

No one's "hating on him". Just stating the truth: he couldn't make the active roster when he was healthy enough to not even appear on the injury report, and has barely been allowed to practice since. Thems is the facts, babe. If they get your panties in a bunch then I suggest you start going commando.

Who is this 2nd round tackle that the wind can blow over?? The only 2nd round tackles the Pats have drafted under Belichick are Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer.. Neither of whom fall into the category you mentioned..

Nick Kaczur was a 3rd round pick and prior to last year, he was pretty average and was actually better than most people gave him credit for. Last year he did seem to regress, though it could have been because of the issues he had with the law playing on his mind.

Very confusing statement by the OP and I had the same thought as you and after reading it a few times I think he is talking about a DT and I think that would have to reference Brace.

What confuses me is he seems to be complaining about drafting a guy made of glass because we drafted a guy who gets pushed around when we drafted the glass guy before the other one.

What tipped me off was that I think the OP was saying Wind Blows over the DT as easy as an olinemen
lillestroom said:

Who is this 2nd round tackle that the wind can blow over?? The only 2nd round tackles the Pats have drafted under Belichick are Matt Light and Sebastian Vollmer.. Neither of whom fall into the category you mentioned.QUOTE]

He might be confused and possibly talking about DT Brace?

Erm... isnt Ron Brace a Tackle? Dont tell me you were expecting me to state "Offensive" or "Definsive" tackle.

Thought that was a gimme..

Erm... isnt Ron Brace a Tackle? Dont tell me you were expecting me to state "Offensive" or "Definsive" tackle.

Thought that was a gimme..

So you're already making spot decisions on Brace based on the miniscule amounts of playing time he got last year?

So you're already making spot decisions on Brace based on the miniscule amounts of playing time he got last year?

Actually he was criticzing the Patriots for drafting a player because a year later they were going to draft someone the OP thought was soft.

I found it a very strange post for sure.

Actually he was criticzing the Patriots for drafting a player because a year later they were going to draft someone the OP thought was soft.

I found it a very strange post for sure.

My criticism of the Pats' scouting is that they seem to require a minimum of arm length when it comes to drafting a line backer or a tackle, but injury question marks, question marks over raw talent or even lack of core strength seem to sail right through simply because they are athletically compatible to our requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST