PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ref=Charger's Fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This is tongue in cheek, but the NFL did choose a school teacher from Southern California, Tony Corrente, to ref tomorrow's game. If he isn't a Charger's fan, I'd imagine his co-workers, students, etc. are to some degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Corrente

J D Sal

You would think the NFL would avoid these things to remove any possible appearance of impropriety.

I mapquested it. La Mirada, CA is about 100 miles from San Diego. Or about as far as Springfield is from Boston.

J D Sal

Here is what Reiss has to say about this zebra

Tony Corrente is scheduled to referee Sunday's playoff game between the Patriots and Chargers. This will mark the first time this season that Corrente's crew has called a game in which the Patriots have played.

Corrente's crew had only 14 total replay challenges this season, which was tied for a league low. Of those 14 challenges, only two calls were reversed, also tied for a league low. That 14.3 percent reversal rate was well below the league average of 34.5 percent.

Corrente's crew has called an average of 13.1 assessed penalties per game. The league average was 11.9 assessed penalties per game.

So, looks like these guys to tend to make the right calls with the low amount of challenges, and 1 penalty extra per game over league average. Sounds like a decent crew, as long as he isn't swayed by the hometown team.

Of course, it's not just the ref that throws flags - thank goodness given this piece of news.

The low reversal rate could also mean he is stubborn and wont' admit mistakes or can't recognize mistakes even when presented over-and-over again in super-slow motion.

Not saying that is the case, but those stats on reversals mean nada.

I just hope they let the teams play and avoid calling the cheap defensive backfield penalties. How they stack against other ref teams in calling that type of penalty would interest me.

The low reversal rate could also mean he is stubborn and wont' admit mistakes or can't recognize mistakes even when presented over-and-over again in super-slow motion.

I would say that having only 14 plays reviewed in 16 games is a significant stat.

I just hope they let the teams play and avoid calling the cheap defensive backfield penalties. How they stack against other ref teams in calling that type of penalty would interest me.

Its not the reversals that stand out, its the fact that in 17 weeks of football in the regular season, only 14 plays were challenged. Less than one a week, it shows that usually this crew will make the right call, so it shows in my opinion that they are not a sloppy crew with making coaches waste challenges on obvious calls.

The numbers speak for this crew.

But, just to point out, there is a world of difference between LA and SD. Camp Pendleton is the great divide which stops the creeping LAfication of San Diego. We really don't like them up there, and they don't like us.

New York and Boston aren't that far apart, yet they aren't mutual fans of eash other. Ditto Philly and NY.

The numbers speak for this crew.

But, just to point out, there is a world of difference between LA and SD. Camp Pendleton is the great divide which stops the creeping LAfication of San Diego. We really don't like them up there, and they don't like us.

New York and Boston aren't that far apart, yet they aren't mutual fans of eash other. Ditto Philly and NY.

So your saying the Marines keep the riff raff (LA) out?:D

So your saying the Marines keep the riff raff (LA) out?:D

:)

And as a Marine just back from Iraq and now at Pendleton, I am proud of that duty!!!!!! We don't need to become an LA suburb!!!

Last edited:
:)

And as a Marine just back from Iraq and now at Pendleton, I am proud of that duty!!!!!! We don't need to become an LA suburb!!!

Glad to have you back in country...though I DO have some doubts about CA being "in country":D . The LA/SD DMZ duty is some tough duty
though...no rest for you weary Marines huh? Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes