PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Redskins sign Jay Gruden to five-year deal as head coach

I'm not sure what your point is here. You make this deal, 100 times out of 100.

No, Deus. YOU make that deal 100 times out of 100.

......along with Dan Snyder, Mike Ditka and Mike Lynn. :D

Last edited:
No, Deus. YOU make that deal 100 times out of 100.

......along with Dan Snyder, Mike Ditka and Mike Lynn. :D

If Bill Belichick thought he had his next franchise QB on the hook, he'd make the deal too. You're not so clueless as to think otherwise.

Or are you?

I'm not sure what your point is here. You make this deal, 100 times out of 100.

No, I don't.

If Bill Belichick thought he had his next franchise QB on the hook, he'd make the deal too. You're not so clueless as to think otherwise.

Except I doubt Belichick would be so confident in the pick that he would think the risk worth it, so it's a moot argument. And again, so far, it has been a terrible trade for Washington. RG3 may become a franchise QB, but he is far from a sure thing right now.

Or are you?

CLASSIC. :D

Sure, Deus, Belichick has a HISTORY of thinking he has a "can't miss college player" and he would throw 3 first round picks to another team for him. Yup, that's Belichick!!!

Your posts in this thread are some of your greatest masterpieces. :D

Last edited:
I would have made that trade for Andrew Luck...

Your posts in this thread are some of your greatest masterpieces. :D

I do love me some Deus Debates®
icon_beer.gif
:popcorn:

DeusBates? There's a cool logo in there somewhere...

Some day, the Nepotism Football League will have a bunch of little Belichicks, Harbaughs, Grudens and Ryans coaching all of the teams.

I've never liked those "I'll give you this if you give me all of that" type trades. The Mike ****a trade when he was with the Saints was a classic.

Some day, the Nepotism Football League will have a bunch of little Belichicks, Harbaughs, Grudens and Ryans coaching all of the teams.

I've never liked those "I'll give you this if you give me all of that" type trades. The Mike ****a trade when he was with the Saints was a classic.

The best part of that was watching Ditka and his crew breaking out the cigars and celebrating like they had already won the Super Bowl. Even if you think this guy is the next greatest thing, you just threw a truck load of picks at them, of course they were going to take it. You didn't accomplish anything with that trade. That would be like me winning an auction for a Mystery Box by bidding 10 times after everyone else had stopped bidding, then celebrating before I opened it.

There was one done in the 1980's - Hershel Walker to Minnesota, one done in the 1990's - Ricky Williams to New Orleans and one done two years ago - RGIII.

The first two were epic franchise disasters. The last one isn't looking so hot right now either.

According to Deus "You make that deal 100 times out of 100". :D

Last edited:
There was one done in the 1980's - Hershel Walker to Minnesota, one done in the 1990's - Ricky Williams to New Orleans and one done two years ago - RGIII.

The first two were epic franchise disasters. The last one isn't looking so hot right now either.

According to Deus "You make that deal 100 times out of 100". :D

Yup. Evidently, some people don't understand the difference between the NBA and the NFL.

To be fair, a franchise QB CAN turn your team around where I don't believe even the best RB can (Adrian Peterson does almost nothing for the success of the Vikings). So if I was going to go all in on a player in the draft, it would be a QB. But until there's an exact science to finding The Next One, the risk will never be worth it to me.

Have the Sean Penn/Jay Gruden "Dead Man Walking" memes come out yet?

There are a few head coaching jobs in the NFL where it will be short and it will end bad.

The Washington Redskins is one of those jobs

There are a few head coaching jobs in the NFL where it will be short and it will end bad.

The Washington Redskins is one of those jobs

There is a bit of optimism around these parts but not much. The fan base has simply seem too much and are horribly jaded.

One of the things being brought up is Bruce Allen's insistence that the team was searching high and low for a coach, exploring every avenue when it now seems like Gruden was the plan all along. THere is suspicion that because Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen (And Jim Haslett, who has been retained) were all part of Tampa Bay together that this whole "We are searching for the exact right candidate and we don't care how long it takes" speech was a giant coverup for the fact that the was already in the works.

good on him for getting that 5 year deal.

Everyone knows its over after at most 3 years, so getting that 2 year vacation is solid work by gruden.

It's a win-win for Gruden.

If he's successful, then he did what very few coaches have done- win in Washington with Snyder as your owner and can write his own ticket once his tenure there runs its course.

If he fails and gets fired, in the eyes of the league he gets a flyer on the gig in a disaster of an organization to begin with.

It's a win-win for Gruden.

If he's successful, then he did what very few coaches have done- win in Washington with Snyder as your owner and can write his own ticket once his tenure there runs its course.

If he fails and gets fired, in the eyes of the league he gets a flyer on the gig in a disaster of an organization to begin with.

Actually, history has shown Snyder to be an absolute Grim Reaper to any HC coach's future.

Only his first one (one that he inherited), Norv Turner, ever got another HC gig after experiencing PTSD (Post Traumatic Snyder Disorder).

Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs II, Zorn all still roam the middle earth. Shanny? He's through.

Last edited:
Actually, history has shown Snyder to be an absolute Grim Reaper to any HC coach's future.

Only his first one (one that he inherited), Norv Turner, ever got another HC gig after experiencing PTSD (Post Traumatic Snyder Disorder).

Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs II, Zorn all never made it back out of the pergatory and still roam the middle earth. Shanny? He's through.

I think you are looking at the individual situations wrong.

Turner did indeed get another gig.

Spurrier was a college coach. He was done with the pro game.

Gibbs did well. If he wanted to go to another team an HC he most certainly would have gotten a shot. Schotzie too but both he and Gibbs didn't have the energy anymore.

Zorn you are right.

Shanny is cooked.

If Gruden is 1/2 successful he's set.

I think you are looking at the individual situations wrong.

Turner did indeed get another gig.

Which is why I wrote:

"Only his first one (one that he inherited), Norv Turner, ever got another HC gig after experiencing PTSD (Post Traumatic Snyder Disorder)."

Which is why I wrote:

"Only his first one (one that he inherited), Norv Turner, ever got another HC gig after experiencing PTSD (Post Traumatic Snyder Disorder)."

1. Why call out that Norv was inherited? We all know he was. What are you implying?

2. With is track record and two playoff appearances, Gibbs could have landed a gig.

3. Shotzy landed in SD the year after he left WAS and did very well in SD.

Your Grim Reaper statement is off base. If you want to look at NFL teams that destroy coaches, look at the Raiders.

Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs II, Zorn all still roam the middle earth. Shanny? He's through.

Marty coached the Chargers quite successfully for a number of years after being fired by Snyder. I still wonder why a coach who went 14-2 in his last season was never signed by another team.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back