PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox reportedly sign Carl Crawford to 7 year $142 million deal

That contract is absurd. Nice player though. Man, $20 million per for a guy who's never hit 20 homers, and has an OBP of .350? Hey, no salary cap so the money is irrelevent. The Sox should have a sick team. A little too lefty in the line up, but nasty all over. They have to be the favorite at this point.

I like the Gonzalez move, but this move is the kind of one that has made me less interested in the Sox the past several years. The classic Theo moderate overpay. Say what you want about Dan Duquette, but when he ponied up, it was for a stud. Manny & Pedro provided the core for what became the team(s) that broke the curse. I feel more comfortable breaking the bank on sure-things like those guys. Or like Adrian Gonzalez, for instance.

If the Yanks or Sox want to get get the best player available and do so b/c they are in a financial situation which allows them to do so, so be it. They earn the right to do so by having a successful and profitable team.

But overpaying for guys like JD Drew, Lugo, Renteria and Crawford or even Lackey, or the Beckett re-sign, it's just boring. Ironically, it feels cheap.

Last edited:
CC is the best free agent OF out there for the next 2-3 years. Drew and papi are toast after this season. We literally had to sign this guy. This trade will look brilliant in the next 3 years. Armchair GM's need to STFU. WE are now the most dominant team in beisbol.:singing:

This discussion makes more sense looking at the possible 2012 list.
A lot can happen between now and then and this list could shrink in half.

Prince Fielder

Ryan Howard

Albert Pujols

Jason Bartlett

Carlos Beltran

Mark Buehrle

Edwin Jackson

Heath Bell

Jonathan Papelbon

Robinson Cano

Yadier Molina

Grady Sizemore

Matt Cain

Last edited:
I'm a Yankees fan and I was hoping the Yankees wouldn't sign Crawford to some ridiculous deal, since they have already have a Crawford junior in Brett Gardner. I felt the same way about the Sox and Ellsbury. Were I a Sox fan, I'd have much preferred that this money be invested in some right handed power, as well as some bullpen help. Ellsbury and Crawford are virtually identical players. Their stats are very similar if you look at them. This past season must have soured the front office on Ellsbury. Regardless, Crawford is a terrific player. He absolutely makes the Sox better. I just think the contract isn't a good one. Again, it's only money. Something which the Sox have to spend.

Defensively the Sox should be outstanding in the OF. Think of the ground that a foursome of Ellsbury, Crawford, Cameron, and Drew will cover. Their infield should be terrific as well. That will certainly help the pitching staff bounce back this year.
I agree that I really didn't want Crawford here because of his price but I actually like this move for Boston. I wouldn't rely on Ellsbury for anything. I honestly think Crawford is made for our short porch or the pesky pole, he would have fit in well on either team. Defensively he is as good as they come.

I'm a Yankees fan and I was hoping the Yankees wouldn't sign Crawford to some ridiculous deal, since they have already have a Crawford junior in Brett Gardner. I felt the same way about the Sox and Ellsbury. Were I a Sox fan, I'd have much preferred that this money be invested in some right handed power, as well as some bullpen help. Ellsbury and Crawford are virtually identical players. Their stats are very similar if you look at them. This past season must have soured the front office on Ellsbury. Regardless, Crawford is a terrific player. He absolutely makes the Sox better. I just think the contract isn't a good one. Again, it's only money. Something which the Sox have to spend.

Defensively the Sox should be outstanding in the OF. Think of the ground that a foursome of Ellsbury, Crawford, Cameron, and Drew will cover. Their infield should be terrific as well. That will certainly help the pitching staff bounce back this year.

Can Yankee fans stop comparing Brett Gardner to Carl Crawford. Brett is a good player and Carl is a much, much better player.

Can Yankee fans stop comparing Brett Gardner to Carl Crawford. Brett is a good player and Carl is a much, much better player.

I've heard of Carl Crawford.

We definitely will have a sick lineup, the too lefty argument isn't as big deal as people make it seem. I was reading an article on it the other day, and apparently Gonzalez, Crawford, and Ellsbury all hit equally well against lefties and righties. So it's not like we signed two more lefties who can't hit righties.

Plus the RF fence is being moved in 9 feet I guess. That park is really going to drive pitchers nuts.

Obviously Crawford is a better player. No one is saying he isn't.

When I "compare" the two, I'm not calling them identical. Just a lesser version of the better player, but with similar qualities and production. I think when I mention Gardner, I do so with the understanding that he's still got a ways to go to be considered a legitimate player. However, the skill set is similar, save for 2 things. Gardner lacks Crawford's power (BG will never hit 19 homers), while Crawford doesn't get on base the way that Gardner does (.383 OBP last year, and #1 in MLB with 4.61 pitches per plate appearance). Other than that they share similar qualities. Speed, good average, excellent defensive players.

I actually think that Ellsbury is Crawford's twin. Look at each players statistics, and you'll see how identical they are. Ellsbury has some pop too. More so than Gardner. To me, the 3-some would go like this:

Crawford > Ellsbury > Gardner.

Again, so people don't jump all over me. Gardner is still a relative unknown. He could hit .220 next year, and be a 5th outfielder. However, he was a 3rd round pick that has consistently produced at every minor league level, and his pro numbers have fallen in line with that production. So all signs point to him being a legitmate major league player. No guarantees though.

Boooooooooooooooooooo

I know pal. I get it from friends and family all the time. I just started wearing a Yankees hat to my street hockey games, and my teammates, who never knew I was a Yankees fan, no longer pass me the ball. :(

hey, its Real World, get him BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I know pal. I get it from friends and family all the time. I just started wearing a Yankees hat to my street hockey games, and my teammates, who never knew I was a Yankees fan, no longer pass me the ball. :(

I think Cliff Lee wants to stay a ranger and is using the Yankees to get his $$$.

what do you think RW?

I think Cliff Lee wants to stay a ranger and is using the Yankees to get his $$$.

what do you think RW?

what do you think RW?

what do you think RW?

what do you think RW?

Is there an echo in here?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it's 60-40 in favor of the Yankees. I think he likes Texas cuz it's close to home, but I also think that Lee wants, and needs, the spot light that is NYC & the Yankees. I think the guy wants to be known as one of the great clutch performers of alltime. He's 32 right now, and being a late bloomer, he needs the biggest stage in his next few years if he's going to cement his name among the greats. Where else better to do that than with the Yankees. The biggest market, with the biggest pressure, and for the greatest franchise of alltime. I think that's on Lee's mind. Win there a few times and he'll be a legend. I think the only reason why he's not already signed with the Yankees, is cuz he got traded to the Rangers (Yankees thought they had a deal for him with Seattle if you remember), and he liked it there. Lee is probably trying to figure out if Texas is going to provide him with the same opportunity to win, that the Yankees will. Lee's bread and butter is the playoffs, and to be mentioned as an immortal, he's going to need to be a part of them for as many of his next 6-7 seasons as is possible. Who takes you there more, the Rangers or the Yankees? That's what he's likely trying to figure out. So to answer your question, I don't think he's using the Yankees, or the Rangers, as much as he's genuinely trying to figure out where he wants to play. If he had never been traded to Texas, this would have been decided already.

This might sound crazy, but I'm not overly concerned about not signing Lee. Obviously I want him on the Yankees, but 7 years for a 32 year pitcher is crazy. Granted Pettitte is 38 and still pitches money, so Lee probably could too, but still. I just hope that the Yanks don't blow a gasket if Lee opts for the Rangers, and make some sort of stupid move. They still have plenty to compete with. They should be a 90+ win team regardless.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back