PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: has any franchised player ever held out until week 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I remember some heated franchise tagging disputed between Orlando Pace and the Rams along with Walter Jones and the Seahawks. Both players reported to the team with about a week to go before the regular season.

Does anyone know if a player has actually followed through on his promise and held out until week 10, or is such action unprecetented?

Can't remember his name but Felger and the PFW boys were discussing the last one who did, think it was several years ago and a SD player, who came in in week 9, didn't play particularly well the remainder of the season, but still got his mega deal in FA the following season. The team who signed him did, I believe, live to regret it.

There are also some cases of veterans who held out in contract disputes into the season and performed pretty well thereafter. I think Emmett was one.

The only 2 that I can think of are Joey Galloway and Sean Gilbert.

Galloway heldout for the first 8 games of the 1999 season in Seattle, was franchised the next year and traded to the Cowboys.

DT Sean Gilbert held out the entire year in 1997 from the Skins. Came back to play in 1998 in Carolina.

when the players came back to play, they weren't at midseason form and didn't perform well on the field.

At this point the only thing Asante Samuel will accomplish with a 10-week holdout is making less money. He can't risk that the Pats' D will be OK without him.

The only 2 that I can think of are Joey Galloway and Sean Gilbert.

Galloway heldout for the first 8 games of the 1999 season in Seattle, was franchised the next year and traded to the Cowboys.

DT Sean Gilbert held out the entire year in 1997 from the Skins. Came back to play in 1998 in Carolina.

For some reason, I'm thinking Keenan McCardell held out for quite a while a few years ago, but the circumstances might not be the same.

For some reason, I'm thinking Keenan McCardell held out for quite a while a few years ago, but the circumstances might not be the same.

He did which was what got him traded out of TB. But that was a contract dispute holdout - he wanted more and eventually got it from the new team. You would think that BB wouldn't like players who pull that, yet McCardell has always been one he admires.

BTW it was Galloway, so Seattle not SD, they were talking about on Felger's show the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News