Welcome to PatsFans.com

Question: has any franchised player ever held out until week 10?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by stinkypete, Jul 27, 2007.

1. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

I remember some heated franchise tagging disputed between Orlando Pace and the Rams along with Walter Jones and the Seahawks. Both players reported to the team with about a week to go before the regular season.

Does anyone know if a player has actually followed through on his promise and held out until week 10, or is such action unprecetented?

2. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Can't remember his name but Felger and the PFW boys were discussing the last one who did, think it was several years ago and a SD player, who came in in week 9, didn't play particularly well the remainder of the season, but still got his mega deal in FA the following season. The team who signed him did, I believe, live to regret it.

There are also some cases of veterans who held out in contract disputes into the season and performed pretty well thereafter. I think Emmett was one.

3. shatch62

shatch62 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only 2 that I can think of are Joey Galloway and Sean Gilbert.

Galloway heldout for the first 8 games of the 1999 season in Seattle, was franchised the next year and traded to the Cowboys.

DT Sean Gilbert held out the entire year in 1997 from the Skins. Came back to play in 1998 in Carolina.

4. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

when the players came back to play, they weren't at midseason form and didn't perform well on the field.

5. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

At this point the only thing Asante Samuel will accomplish with a 10-week holdout is making less money. He can't risk that the Pats' D will be OK without him.

6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

For some reason, I'm thinking Keenan McCardell held out for quite a while a few years ago, but the circumstances might not be the same.

7. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

He did which was what got him traded out of TB. But that was a contract dispute holdout - he wanted more and eventually got it from the new team. You would think that BB wouldn't like players who pull that, yet McCardell has always been one he admires.

BTW it was Galloway, so Seattle not SD, they were talking about on Felger's show the other day.