PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about the Draft: what happens to a prospect that declares but is not drafted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I can't remember the answer.

If a draft prospect (on scholarship) goes into the draft without signing with an agent, are they allowed to return to school (on scholarship) if they don't like where they are drafted or go undrafted?

I thank you already, because I know you guys will know the answer. Keep up the great work on the draft talk side.

My wife and I are keeping an eye on this kid from Stanford (no, not Luck), but an OLB by the name of Chase Thomas, who's starting to look really good, that's why we ask the question. Thanks again.

I know this has been asked before, but I can't remember the answer.

If a draft prospect (on scholarship) goes into the draft without signing with an agent, are they allowed to return to school (on scholarship) if they don't like where they are drafted or go undrafted?

I thank you already, because I know you guys will know the answer. Keep up the great work on the draft talk side.

My wife and I are keeping an eye on this kid from Stanford (no, not Luck), but an OLB by the name of Chase Thomas, who's starting to look really good, that's why we ask the question. Thanks again.

The NFL sets a date where all underclassmen must declare. Say Jan. 15th. The league gives them a few days. One week I believe to change their mind. So to speak. Even if you don't have an agent, you can't go back to school after that change of mind date passes.

For players who don't declare. The league usually has a supplemental draft where players who can't go back to school; drugs, suspensions, discipliniary problems can apply to be taken there. As long as they've been out of high school 3 years. They are usually approved.

patsfaninpa,

Thank you very much. There's one thing about this forum, knowledgeable people who are kind enough to share that knowledge with others. Again, thanks.

To add,
If a team (say for example-Vikings) take Luck and he doesn't sign w. them, the team holds his rights for 1 year to the day he was drafted. The team can also trade the rights till the OCT trading deadline.
Luck then (after 1 yr) is eligible to enter the 2013 draft and the Vikings would not get any compensation nor their 2012 pick back.

Thanks Ninja & Patsfaninpa- I love DRAFTNIKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft