PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Probably) cheap, (possibly) worthwhile signings that can still be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lotsa good suggestions here, some of whom have already been mentioned in my list below:

QB Colt McCoy - a warm body who could make a Mallett trade doable
RB Passthe Blunt
One of WRs Miles Austin, Jason Avant, Earl Bennett or Austin Collie
The healthier of TEs Owen Daniels or Dustin Keller
Swing Tackle among Charles Brown, Jason Fox, Ryan Harris, Will Svitek or Eric Winston
OG depth among Eben Britton, Daryn Colledge, Leroy Harris or Wade Smith
OC Brian De La Puente
One of DEs Jared Allen, Robert Ayers or Will Smith
One of DTs Alex Carrington, Kevin Williams or Pat Sims
One of LBs Arthur Moats, Stephan Nicholas or James Mr Anderson
Safety Chris Clemons, or Major Wright

Lotsa good suggestions here, some of whom have already been mentioned in my list below:

QB Colt McCoy - a warm body who could make a Mallett trade doable
RB Passthe Blunt
One of WRs Miles Austin, Jason Avant, Earl Bennett or Austin Collie
The healthier of TEs Owen Daniels or Dustin Keller
Swing Tackle among Charles Brown, Jason Fox, Ryan Harris, Will Svitek or Eric Winston
OG depth among Eben Britton, Daryn Colledge, Leroy Harris or Wade Smith
OC Brian De La Puente
One of DEs Jared Allen, Robert Ayers or Will Smith
One of DTs Alex Carrington, Kevin Williams or Pat Sims
One of LBs Arthur Moats, Stephan Nicholas or James Mr Anderson
Safety Chris Clemons, or Major Wright

I have no problem with your list aside from the fact that you have Colt McCoy as a possible QB. I don't think he'd be much more than someone's QB3 myself.

The fact that you have him listed as a "warm body" doesn't sound too enticing ;)

Not my first choice either, but if a Mallett trade were to ever happen without having to draft
his replacement (thereby making the trade essentially a wash), then another QB would already
have to be on the roster. That's why I consider a Mallett trade extremely unlikely.

Not my first choice either, but if a Mallett trade were to ever happen without having to draft
his replacement (thereby making the trade essentially a wash), then another QB would already
have to be on the roster. That's why I consider a Mallett trade extremely unlikely.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think if Belichick were actually considering Mallett in a trade, he'd have at least brought in someone on the practice squad last season. I believe the only time that Belichick risked having a first year backup was when he gambled in 2009 with K.O'Connell.

Other than that, we've always had a guy here for at least one full season. Picking up the system alone is likely the hardest aspect, in my opinion. I don't think that talent even comes into play until after the QB has proven to be able to know the playbook and the finer nuances of the system first.

That said, I think if someone offered us a 2nd/3rd round pick, Belichick may be very tempted to gamble with an inexperienced backup once again. It may be too tempting for him to pass up. Anything below a 3rd rounder is pointless to even consider.

I think the way to go is to bring someone in this spring, either via the draft or through an UDFA. That will allow them to learn our system for the last year that Mallett is still here in a Pats uni. I wouldn't be opposed to even selecting Mallett's replacement in the middle rounds once again.

I think we can afford that luxury with many pieces of the team already in place, and a lot of youngsters having made the team as draft picks lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe