PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-combine Patriots positional draft board…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewatched the Senior Bowl over the weekend and really focused on some of the names at LB that I've become more familiar with and I'm really liking this kid Larry English. He looks to be a very active pass rusher and strong as hell. Cushing on the otherhand looks way too small and a little slow to react IMO.

As an OLB in a 3-4 I would take Cushings over English in a heartbeat. Cushings is much better against the run and has shown he can cover a little.
English is the better pass rusher, but since neither player is "sudden", they will not be elite NFL pass rushers.

One of the analyst on NFL network said that half of Sintim's sacks came because opposing OT's got confused on the blocking scheme. I thought that was a telltale stat and an extermely cruel stat.

Nice job Isaac...I'm working on my pre-Combine one as we speak.

I think I've graded too easily in the past, and I'm making an effort to tighten my standards...nonetheless, I have exactly 12 players rated as first-round values for the Patriots. I think I'd prefer them to either move up maybe using their first plus whatever Cassel yields, or to trade down for maybe two seconds or a second and a 2010 first.

Nice job Isaac...I'm working on my pre-Combine one as we speak.

I think I've graded too easily in the past, and I'm making an effort to tighten my standards...nonetheless, I have exactly 12 players rated as first-round values for the Patriots. I think I'd prefer them to either move up maybe using their first plus whatever Cassel yields, or to trade down for maybe two seconds or a second and a 2010 first.

What does that mean "rated as first-round values for the Patriots"? Who are your 12 players?

My front seven Patriots 3-4 defensive board, going into the Combine:

NT - limited options, as usual
BJ Raji, BC
Ron Brace, BC
Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman
Terrance Taylor, Michigan
Chris Baker, Hampton (major character concerns)

DE - decent depth, but few elite options
Tyson Jackson, LSU
Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State
Fili Moala, USC
Ziggy Hood, Missouri
Alex Magee, Purdue
Dorrell Scott, Clemson
Demonte' Bolden, Tennessee

OLB - great options in #10-20, and decent second round depth, then tails off
Brian Orakpo, Texas
Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
Everette Brown, Florida State
Aaron Maybin, Penn State
Brian Cushing, USC (might project better to ILB)
Clint Sintim, Virginia
Larry English, Northern Illinois
Conner Barwin, Cincinnati
Paul Kruger, Utah
Clay Matthews, USC

ILB - thin after top two or three
Rey Maualuga, USC
James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
(Brian Cushing would be here)
Tyrone McKenzie, South Florida
Marcus Freeman, Ohio State
Scott McKillop, Pittsburgh
Darry Beckwith, LSU
Dannell Ellerbe, Georgia
Mortty Ivy, West Virginia

Note that this is not how many of these prospects are listed, but where I think their position falls in the Pats 3-4 system.
I don't think the Pats secondary is so different from other defenses that you need to adjust.
One secondary player not listed earlier I am intrigued with is S Michael Hamlin of Clemson, with 110 tackles, 10 PBU's and 6 INT's. I would look at him as a candidate for the late second pick - great productivity, although he may lack speed. Critical combine for him.

I listed all the players in each category, since there might be a higher first from a Cassel trade, or less likely a trade up.

What does that mean "rated as first-round values for the Patriots"? Who are your 12 players?

For me, a first round value to this team is one that can contribute, at the very least in the sub positions, this year. I would argue no quarterbacks are a first-round value, for example. Barring that, they have to be a truly rare specimen that can play -- BJ Raji, for example. I also keep in mind salary ramifications. As much as I love Knowshown, I don't have him as a first round value for the Patriots, since they have a pretty well-defined committee approach.

These are also very preliminary, and between now and the draft people will shuffle in and out. I have three offensive tackles, three cornerbacks, three outside linebackers, one nose tackle, and two wide receivers...which I ultimately may change my mind on. I'll spare the 4-page thread of arguments and counter-arguments, and will wait until after the combine.

Last edited:
My front seven Patriots 3-4 defensive board, going into the Combine

Good stuff...curious whether you considered Lee Robinson & Frantz Joseph at ILB? Both have some fans on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents