PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread Week 7 Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in the game thread yesterday, but we all know how that can go....:p

I noticed that the Steelers O-lineman would pull down our D-lineman (not sure who it was each time) to the ground. Is that considered holding?? I though it was and I saw it several times in the game and the refs were not calling it. Just would like some clarification on this.
Pull to the ground=holding.

Block/overpower/smash guy so he's on the ground=not holding.

31 snaps? In which game? The Pats had just 26 passing plays yesterday and 35 passing plays last week. You're making the incorrect assumption that Mitchell was out there only for passing plays.. I guarantee you he was on the field for running plays as well.
Yesterday's game, 31 snaps according to Reiss. Not making the assumption that they're all passing plays, although I am assuming a lot of them were.

Marqui - You're the one with the hard-on for Ryan and can't be bothered with facts. Ryan wasn't benched at all during the game. Ryan was the one who made a play on the ball on a pass to Cobi Hamilton with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

You really shouldn't tell people they don't know what is going on when you are the blind one.
Buddy you need to get your eyes checked, that was Harmon that made that play on the ball.

I don't know if Logan Ryan is your son or something but the facts are he sucks, he's always sucked, he got benched in this game, barring injury he won't be playing much for this defense anymore, and this is probably his last year in NE.

at times it was ugly, but a W is a W. they will need to play more consistently for the full 60 to beat the top teams in the league (and there's only a few of them). on to buffalo

Biggest play of the game was the holding penalty that the Pats lineman drew that nullified a Steeler's TD that would have shifted momentum. So there was a significant contribution from the D-line.

Why Martellus Bennett's playing time dipped in Patriots' win

Just checked on NFL Gamepass. You're right. Ryan was benched for Coleman in the slot in the 4th quarter.

Landry Jones was 9/20 54 yards 52.1 QBR in the 4th quarter vs. Butler/Rowe/Coleman. That group has earned a 2nd week.

Actually, Ryan played the 1st snap of the 4th quarter and made the play on Grimble to prevent a reception. But why bother with facts..

Also, the Patriots played the entire 4th in a loose prevent with only 3 rushers..

Buddy you need to get your eyes checked, that was Harmon that made that play on the ball.

I don't know if Logan Ryan is your son or something but the facts are he sucks, he's always sucked, he got benched in this game, barring injury he won't be playing much for this defense anymore, and this is probably his last year in NE.

I've know this is Ryan's last year on the team. But you're the one who needs his eyes checked because Ryan has played better than you give him credit for. The 2 catches to Cobi Hamilton were great plays by the Steelers..And he followed it up with a good play on Grimble. But you're the one who has acted like he slept with your wife so you have this incessant hatred of him that makes it so you have no ability to be objective.

Yesterday's game, 31 snaps according to Reiss. Not making the assumption that they're all passing plays, although I am assuming a lot of them were.

Well, They couldn't have been because there were more than a few times where the Pats had Amendola, Edelman, Bennett, Gronk and White.. or they had Bolden out there for Bennett..

31/55 (not including penalties). So about 56% of the plays.. in total. Again, He's a rookie. Again, he's nursing a hamstring injury..

Which team is lower than 31% on 3rd downs?
Jacksonville.

The Jaguars had converted just 27.6% of their third down opportunities prior to yesterday's game.

@DaBruinz You're absolutely right. The bad coverage was on the kickoffs. As far as not pressuring Landry, I can understand, from a gameplan standpoint, wanting to set the edge, contain the run, and challenge a backup QB to beat you with his arm. Right now, it's working reasonably well enough to win games. And I guess that's all that matters for now. But situationally, on 3rd down, the pass rush hasn't been there. And that could be the difference between winning or losing

Last edited:
Are there that many competent top QBs anymore though? You can count them on your hand. These are problems that will sort themselves out in due time, IMO.

Never were, Are'nt now, and Won't be tomorrow... But of course dump someone who might be able to join that group, for a handful of magic bean draft picks...

Well, They couldn't have been because there were more than a few times where the Pats had Amendola, Edelman, Bennett, Gronk and White.. or they had Bolden out there for Bennett..

31/55 (not including penalties). So about 56% of the plays.. in total. Again, He's a rookie. Again, he's nursing a hamstring injury..
I'm not sure I'm even getting what the point of contention is here. I think Mitchell is a promising rookie, he's gone 2 weeks without a catch, and I think it may be worth the effort to get him involved in some minimal fashion sooner rather than later.

@DaBruinz You're absolutely right. The bad coverage was on the kickoffs - not the punting. As far as not pressuring Landry, I can understand, from a gameplan standpoint, wanting to set the edge, contain the run, and allow a backup QB to beat you with his arm. Right now, it's working reasonably well enough to win games. And I guess that's all that matters for now. But situationally, on 3rd down, the pass rush hasn't been there. And that could be the difference between winning or losing
The punt coverage was also poor in failing to down the punts properly.

@DaBruinz You're absolutely right. The bad coverage was on the kickoffs. As far as not pressuring Landry, I can understand, from a gameplan standpoint, wanting to set the edge, contain the run, and allow a backup QB to beat you with his arm. Right now, it's working reasonably well enough to win games. And I guess that's all that matters for now. But situationally, on 3rd down, the pass rush hasn't been there. And that could be the difference between winning or losing

The Steelers were 5/16 on 3rd downs yesterday. 2 of the 3rd downs came in the 3rd quarter on the same drive. One was a pass to Hamilton where he made a circus catch from the ground with Ryan in excellent coverage. The other was a pass to Hamilton on a Crossing route with Ryan, again, in good coverage and the ball only where the receiver could get it.. At some point people have to give the other team credit for making plays.. that is there job..

But situationally, on 3rd down, the pass rush hasn't been there. And that could be the difference between winning or losing

The problem some of us have this take in regards to yesterday's game is steelers were 31% on 3rd down, It's a "have my cake and eat it too" take. People had been complaining about 3rd down, so Pats go out and play a very good game in regards to 3rd down and now it's pressure.

Last week they pressured Dalton on about 40% of his throws because they weren't dropping 8 and rushing 3 like they were this week.

I'm not sure I'm even getting what the point of contention is here. I think Mitchell is a promising rookie, he's gone 2 weeks without a catch, and I think it may be worth the effort to get him involved in some minimal fashion sooner rather than later.

My point is that Mitchell is the 8th weapon on this team behind Gronkowski, Edelman, Bennett, Blount, White, Amendola and Hogan. So, it's going to be hard for the kid to get touches in general. Add to the fact that he's a rookie. Add to the fact that he's still learning the play-book and earning Brady's trust I don't think that 2 weeks without a catch is anything to worry about.

I would like to see the Pats use him going over the middle some with Edelman on an out route while Gronk and/or Bennett go deep.. That would open things up for Mitchell to make the catch and add tons of YAC.

With all that being said, it's also clear that the Pats are getting Mitchell involved in the game by having out there on running plays blocking. To me, that them having him cut his teeth. Learning that being a WR in the league isn't all about making the catch.. That it's a TEAM game and that he'll succeed when the team succeeds..

The Steelers were 5/16 on 3rd downs yesterday. 2 of the 3rd downs came in the 3rd quarter on the same drive. One was a pass to Hamilton where he made a circus catch from the ground with Ryan in excellent coverage. The other was a pass to Hamilton on a Crossing route with Ryan, again, in good coverage and the ball only where the receiver could get it.. At some point people have to give the other team credit for making plays.. that is there job..

How much pressure do people think was suppose to be generated rushing 3 and dropping 8 pretty much all game?

How much pressure do people think was suppose to be generated rushing 3 and dropping 8 pretty much all game?

Clearly we're supposed to have Titans there who can plow through double/triple teams and sack the QB all the time.. The Pats should be getting 10-15 sacks per game and, if they aren't, they're clearly horrible.. Just like it's horrible that they've allowed 20 Kick returns and haven't put each one of them through the end zone.. I mean, holding the opposing team to less than 20 yards per return on average doesn't matter.

The problem some of us have this take in regards to yesterday's game is steelers were 31% on 3rd down, It's a "have my cake and eat it too" take. People had been complaining about 3rd down, so Pats go out and play a very good game in regards to 3rd down and now it's pressure.

Last week they pressured Dalton on about 40% of his throws because they weren't dropping 8 and rushing 3 like they were this week.

Fair enough....we'll see how long it lasts. So far, they've managed to do just fine with their gameplan. It's helping them win games. Even with its flaws, our defense has been very solid! Hopefully, it can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft