PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Dolphins beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
losing the game sucks but....texans also lost

Pitt next week

KC in OT but will prob win so...we still have inside track to 2nd seed, overall this loss prob just means we def don't get #1, which was unlikely regardless

The number one seed was very likely at one point. Did you see the ridiculous Mahomes 48 yard 4th down pass to save the game against the Ravens?

The Pats were 99.9% to win before the last play, the Ravens 90% until the Mahomes play. That made it 10,000 to 1 that that Pats will not end the day as number one seed.

Those two play in quick succession were a real kick in the nuts.

You make it a 5 point game instead of a 2 point game 100% of the time in this situation.

That'sd certainly what everybody does, but I don't think it's a given. If you call the right play, you probably have a 20% chance of scoring. If they stop you, they won't be able to get a FD try. Here, there was a chance for a weird return, or a weird final play. I don't see them doing something similar if they start from the 2 or 1.

None of the people disagreeing with you are ignoring the second half, they're just not ignoring the first half. There's a full body of work to look at and you're insisting on ignoring half of it.

And yet they are fine ignoring a similarly dominant second half by the defense because of how the first half looked.

Also you stop saying "the kicker left 4 points" on the board as something positive for the offense. If they were able to convert he wouldn't have to kick. So, no, you can't just add 3 of those 4 points to their tally. What you can do is add the ones that Brady left on the floor.

I would have kicked the FG, BUT it did cross my mind that maybe we should have gone for it on 4th down. It would have used 4 or 5 seconds, and they would have had to go 98 yards in one play, two max. There is almost no way they could get a play in FG range and still have a chance to set up the kick, unless they could get 50 yards down field and out of bounds. Whatever.
With 10-15 more seconds on the clock, I kick it, but I think going for it would have been the right play given the time and no timeouts. But it should not have mattered. I agree with the 3 runs to burn clock - but a pass play on 4th would have burned clock and might have actually scored.

That'sd certainly what everybody does, but I don't think it's a given. If you call the right play, you probably have a 20% chance of scoring. If they stop you, they won't be able to get a FD try. Here, there was a chance for a weird return, or a weird final play. I don't see them doing something similar if they start from the 2 or 1.

I get your point but not with the amount of time that was still left on the clock.

True, but if we lose we could easily fall to 4th. Ugh.

My only concern with this scenario is that you almost asking the Patriots to beat the Steelers twice in less than a month.

It's just not that easy.

The defense was as dominant in the second half as our offense was in the first half. I don't get how you can sit there and blame one unit for ****ting the bed when the other did the very same thing in spite of having considerably more talent.

The defense allowed one of the worst touchdowns I've ever seen given the circumstances and you still champion for them.

The touchdown they gave up today never happens and it's and flat-out embarrassment.

but a pass play on 4th would have burned clock and might have actually scored.

Or it would have stopped the clock and given Miami the ball with 40 seconds more and only 50 yards to drive for a win.

And yet they are fine ignoring a similarly dominant second half by the defense because of how the first half looked. quote]

Ashley says:

I don't think it was a dominant half by the defense...it definitely was better than the 1st half, but they did end up giving up that last play for a td

0ap3000000882302_video_cp.jpg

I would have kicked the FG, BUT it did cross my mind that maybe we should have gone for it on 4th down. It would have used 4 or 5 seconds, and they would have had to go 98 yards in one play, two max. There is almost no way they could get a play in FG range and still have a chance to set up the kick, unless they could get 50 yards down field and out of bounds. Whatever.

Plus the chance the Patriots score the touchdown. I liked the going for it call, but I think that play would have worked from 99 yards. Such an epic meltdown from the coaching staff. This answers our question; they have always been the psyched out group in Miami.

I see everyone is pointing blame again. But really they lost this game as a team. Kicker missed some kicks, Brady brain farted end of the half, and defenses gave up scores of big plays when that’s what they should have game planned against.

I hope this serves as a good learning experience. This loss will effect playoff seeding, but the main thing is it’s a playoff loss. I just want us to make the playoffs, because I think we have a team that go far. Most of our faults are fixable.

The fundamental lack of talent on defense isn’t fixable. That’s the problem.

Brady has to be perfect for this team to win any games in the playoffs, let alone 3 or 4. Even then, the Pats will need unforced mistakes from the opponent to win

My buddy told me that whenever Gilmore gives a TD the Pats lose.

Or it would have stopped the clock and given Miami the ball with 40 seconds more and only 50 yards to drive for a win.
There were only 20 seconds left BEFORE 4th down.

The defense allowed one of the worst touchdowns I've ever seen given the circumstances and you still champion for them. Patriots defense today made history and not in a good way.

See people like you who don't possess the necessary reading comprehension are the issue here. I am not championing the defense at all. They played as ****ty of a first half as the offense played the second half.

And yet they are fine ignoring a similarly dominant second half by the defense because of how the first half looked.

Also you stop saying "the kicker left 4 points" on the board as something positive for the offense. If they were able to convert he wouldn't have to kick. So, no, you can't just add 3 of those 4 points to their tally. What you can do is add the ones that Brady left on the floor.

You completely missed my point which is that the only person ignoring a full half of football is you.

More importantly though, if you're going to claim that the defense looked 'dominant' in the second half despite giving up a 69 yard walkoff, then I really don't know how to respond except that this is a really weird hill you've chosen to die on.

The Dolphins offense is terrible. Holding them to a touchdown in a half isnt special, it happens all the time.

This is going to hurt, for a long, long time... This kind of loss can be devastating on a long run, too. We played a sloppy game, again. That's something what was, probably, expected. All three phases had their shares of positive and negative plays. And everything would be ok, if they didn't surrendered that last play. That's just unexcusable, pathetic and unacceptable.

I get that this team is not really built to go all the way, and I don't expect a SB, but this was a gut-wrenching loss. It's almost 2h since the game ended, I still feel sick.

Why I love this team so much? I was on the brink of mental breakdown, after the last play. :(
I'm over it already because I really dislike teams like this..meaning teams with crappy defenses. It's just not enjoyable football knowing that no matter what happens, the defenses can't be counted on to make a stop when needed. Been this way for a while.
The last play just sums it all up.

I get your point but not with the amount of time that was still left on the clock.

I believe there were 21 seconds left when the ball was snapped for the kick, which took 5 seconds. So, I'm thinking Dolphins would have gotten the ball with 15-17 seconds to play. I suppose they could get a 50-55 yard out of bounds pass in 8 or 1 seconds and set up for a field goal.

There were only 20 seconds left BEFORE 4th down.

True. That doesn't really change my view on it because if you add in the pooch kick you gave up 20 yards for 13 seconds of time. I don't think much would have changed.

I believe there were 21 seconds left when the ball was snapped for the kick, which took 5 seconds. So, I'm thinking Dolphins would have gotten the ball with 15-17 seconds to play. I suppose they could get a 50-55 yard out of bounds pass in 8 or 1 seconds and set up for a field goal.

We lost from a play that had a likelihood of about 1% of success. If not less. I don't think it really makes too much sense to optimize on that end of the entire thing but on the 70yd miracle play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back