Porter Backtracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
PORTER BACKTRACKS ON BUSH COMMENTS

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter has "clarified" his recent comments regarding his plans for the team's June 2 visit to the White House.

On Sunday, Porter said, "Yeah, I got something to say to [George] Bush, I'm going to have a swagger when I walk in there, too. I'm looking forward to it. I have something to tell him, too. I don't like the way things are running right now. I feel like he has to give me some of my money back, so I got something to tell Bush."

Not surprisingly, Porter is now singing a different tune.

"I regret that my quotes about our team’s upcoming visit to the White House were taken out of context," Porter said in a prepared statement. "I am very excited to have an opportunity to visit the White House and meet the president of the United States. During a lighthearted session with the media, I did joke with them about meeting Uncle Sam and FICA. I did not say that I disapproved of President Bush or the job he has done leading our country. We will be guests of the president and I would never do anything to disrespect him. I consider our upcoming trip an honor and a dream come true. Our entire team is looking forward to visiting the White House and enjoying what promises to be the opportunity of a lifetime."

Said one league insider in response to the quotes attributed to Porter: "He couldn't even read this statement much less write it."

Of course, it's easy for Porter to blame the media for (God forbid) repeating his words verbatim. Though some accounts made sure to mention that Porter was laughing loudly when he made the remarks, we explained on Monday that the folks hired to protect the President won't see the humor.

Really, does it take a genius to figure that there are certain things that shouldn't be said, even in jest? We don't have the time to compile the full list, but we have a feeling that "I'm going to talk **** at the President when I go to his crib" falls somewhere between "Stewardess, can I have a pillow to set this bomb on?" and "Honey, I've got the herpes" on the official ranking of statements uttered in jest that won't draw much laughter.

Then again, should we expect anything else from Porter? As one league source recently said: "He is so f--king dumb and to have him as a mouthpiece for the team is unbelievable."

LOL...Ok who didn't see this one coming? I almost feel sorry for the guy.

I'm no Porter fan by asny means, but I can see why players find it impossible to let down in front of media, why they always give canned generic statements. When they joke, the media makes a big deal as though they were serious (ESPN read the clip a zillion times on the air and never once mentioned that Porter was joking around when he said it).

THe media are so two-faced it's disgusting. Now they get all holy about it, ((God forbid) repeating his words verbatim). They goad players into going over the line, encourage them, fling soundbites all over the airwaves, then say, "Hey, what did you expect?" then get upset when players don't alk to then.

For years the press here blasted BB for never offereing up anything. THen post-draft, he mentioned calling Dillon about drafting Maroney, and the press went nuts at the conference. No matter how many times he said it wasn't a big deal, they kept after him, one reporter (I can picture Felger) asking sarcastically, "Did you call Hochstein and Neal before drafting Mankins?"

Joey is getting stuff thrown back in his face, and he certainly could use a little of that, mouth that he is. But boy, the media annoys me.

3rd Grade Education + Access to Microphone = Situations Like This

shmessy said:
3rd Grade Education + Access to Microphone = Situations Like This

Now now, bush did pass the 3rd grade, but it took many many tries :D

However dumb he is or isn't, Porter shouldn't have backed down. He's right, and he's got about 70% of the country with him. But enough politics.

patsox23 said:
However dumb he is or isn't, Porter shouldn't have backed down. He's right, and he's got about 70% of the country with him. But enough politics.

I want to meet the 30% who approve.

I could say alot of additional negative, but true comments...but then this thread would have to be moved to the "politricks" section.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
I want to meet the 30% who approve.
Trust me, you don't.

Last edited:
DefenseRules said:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

LOL...Ok who didn't see this one coming? I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Are you kidding?

The article had me laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Especially the following.

Said one league insider in response to the quotes attributed to Porter: "He couldn't even read this statement much less write it."

Really, does it take a genius to figure that there are certain things that shouldn't be said, even in jest? We don't have the time to compile the full list, but we have a feeling that "I'm going to talk **** at the President when I go to his crib" falls somewhere between "Stewardess, can I have a pillow to set this bomb on?" and "Honey, I've got the herpes" on the official ranking of statements uttered in jest that won't draw much laughter.

Then again, should we expect anything else from Porter? As one league source recently said: "He is so f--king dumb and to have him as a mouthpiece for the team is unbelievable."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye