PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players you're most curious about at the Combine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only put value on the 40 time when it comes to WRs and CBs.

Overrated for both. Look where Chad Jackson's 40 time got him, compared to Wes Welker. Larry Fitzgerald's 40 time sucked. Jerry Rice's wasn't much to write home about either. As for CBs, BB seems to put much more emphasis on agility and ball skills than linear speed.

Overrated for both. Look where Chad Jackson's 40 time got him, compared to Wes Welker. Larry Fitzgerald's 40 time sucked. Jerry Rice's wasn't much to write home about either. As for CBs, BB seems to put much more emphasis on agility and ball skills than linear speed.

Right but my point is a LT with a great 40 time really doesn't excite me. I'd be much more interested in his bench press.

I have but one wish for the combine and that is for Stafford and Sanchez to come out of it with more questions and concerns than there are today.

I would love to see scouts questioning Sanchez's arm strength and Stafford's accuracy.

From what I heard Stafford isn't going to be throwing. I have a gut feeling that Sanchez will shine this weekend. I just think he wants to prove Pete wrong in the worst way.

I have but one wish for the combine and that is for Stafford and Sanchez to come out of it with more questions and concerns than there are today.

I would love to see scouts questioning Sanchez's arm strength and Stafford's accuracy.

I'd be happy for the opposite to occur - for both Stafford and Sanchez to shine and end up going 1 and 3 like Carson Palmer and Joey Harrington did in 2002. Harrington was coming off a big Rose Bowl performance much like Sanchez is now. If that were to happen, everyone else would be left without a QB option in the draft, and trading Cassel for a 10-20 pick would be that much easier.

I'm going to use Football Outsiders adjusted 40 score formula to compare this years RBs with those in the past. It uses weight and 40 time. So when we get player weights in a few days, I can see how fast each one has to run in order to compare to the average score for first rounders from the last ten years.

FYI, with this score Maroney was well below average for the first round.

I'm going to use Football Outsiders adjusted 40 score formula to compare this years RBs with those in the past. It uses weight and 40 time. So when we get player weights in a few days, I can see how fast each one has to run in order to compare to the average score for first rounders from the last ten years.

FYI, with this score Maroney was well below average for the first round.

That formula doesn't show strength?

I'd like to know a couple more things: what can these kids squat (leg drive is important) and how fast are they in the first 10 yards?

40s are important, sped in the first 10 yards is just as important if not more.

That formula doesn't show strength?

I'd like to know a couple more things: what can these kids squat (leg drive is important) and how fast are they in the first 10 yards?

40s are important, sped in the first 10 yards is just as important if not more.

A few things:
1. The formula only applies to running backs, as far as I know.
2. It adjusts the 40 time based on weight.
3. I'm using it to know that if, for example, Knowshon Moreno weighs 210lbs he has to run under a 4.4 to equal the average first round running back.

Here it is: (210 * 200) / (4.4^4) = 112.06. According to Football Outsiders, the average running back taken in round 1, from 1999-2008, has a score of 112.1. So if Knowshon doesn't run sub 4.4 at 210lbs, he is a less than average round one talent.

That is what I want to know. It is real information, not based on opinion. 40 time alone doesn't tell the whole story but it is important. It correlates to more career rushes, yards and DPAR.

Brian Orakpo. If he has a 40 time that is around the same as the other OLBs he could be the first one drafted after Curry.

Brandon Pettigrew. I think he will have a bad 40 time and could fall into the second round.

A few things:
1. The formula only applies to running backs, as far as I know.
2. It adjusts the 40 time based on weight.
3. I'm using it to know that if, for example, Knowshon Moreno weighs 210lbs he has to run under a 4.4 to equal the average first round running back.

Here it is: (210 * 200) / (4.4^4) = 112.06. According to Football Outsiders, the average running back taken in round 1, from 1999-2008, has a score of 112.1. So if Knowshon doesn't run sub 4.4 at 210lbs, he is a less than average round one talent.

That is what I want to know. It is real information, Even better, t not based on opinion. 40 time alone doesn't tell the whole story but it is important. It correlates to more career rushes, yards and DPAR.

You can toss the whole stat out the window when you realize that the combine used to be held in different elements. The 40 used to be held on a fast track that aided times by .05 seconds. Now they run it on the turf. Even more, they're on a different kind of turf this year from the RCA dome.

The factors surrounding these 40 times at the combine have always been bogus. I put more stock in how they are conducted in any given year, rather than comparing them to previous years. I just have an incredibly difficult time believing any of these backs could EVER run a sub 4.4.

Read this: http://oklahoma.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?mid=120766993&tid=120766993&sid=895&fid=28&style=1&Print=1

Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina ILB
Height: 6-2. Weight: 267.

William Moore, SS, Missouri

I read your link. It doesn't say anything about a scout thinking he has sub 4.4 speed. That would be the fastest 235+ pound RB in NFL history.

Also, campus 40's are notorious because they are usually timed by hand. You always hear about certain schools with blazing skill players, and then they get to the electronic timing of the combines, and it's a different story.

Greene himself says: "Where do you think you need to be time wise to help yourself in this draft or where would you like to be for the scouts?

I would like to be somewhere in the high 4.4s, like 4.47-4.49. That’s pretty good. The highest would be like a 4.52. If I can stay in the area from like 4.47 to 4.52, I think I’ll be good. "

I love Greene, I think he's a fantastic back, but if he gets to 4.4, I want the Patriots taking him in the first round.

OK, I see your point. Now sub 4.4 aside, you want the Pats to take Greene after a 4.4 but to pass on him if he runs, say, a 4.55? That's interesting.

To me, you don't draft a guy based on what you see at the Combine. That [Combine] is just for confirmation, to make sure you're getting what you think.

If you like somebody, you draft them. Otherwise you're just splitting hairs. The thing for Greene is we don't know what kind of shape he'll show up in.

His up-and-down weight could drop him far. Mayock has him as a 3rd round pick, running a 4.6 to a 4.8, and he calls his character into question, as well.

I know that his friends on the team kid him because all he does is sleep and watch tv "to rest" his body. Which is understandable, considering his style.

But there are also rumors that he put on excessive weight last season doing exactly that. Still, with college studies out of the way and a paycheck on the line, there is a growing number of people expecting him slimmed down and running fast.

Time will tell. But I just don't know that he's the best fit for the Patriots.

Although, listening to Joe Pa rave about Greene's vision (with Lydell Mitchell comparisons), or the number of draft sites who love him, I may reconsider. Kiper says he's definetly worth a 2nd.

Last edited:
OK, I see your point. Now sub 4.4 aside, you want the Pats to take Greene after a 4.4 but to pass on him if he runs, say, a 4.55? That's interesting.

To me, you don't draft a guy based on what you see at the Combine. That [Combine] is just for confirmation, to make sure you're getting what you think.

If you like somebody, you draft them. Otherwise you're just splitting hairs. The thing for Greene is we don't know what kind of shape he'll show up in.

His up-and-down weight could drop him far. Mayock has him as a 3rd round pick, running a 4.6 to a 4.8, and he calls his character into question, as well.

I know that his friends on the team kid him because all he does is sleep and watch tv "to rest" his body. Which is understandable, considering his style.

But there are also rumors that he put on excessive weight last season doing exactly that. Still, with college studies out of the way and a paycheck on the line, there is a growing number of people expecting him slimmed down and running fast.

Time will tell. But I just don't know that he's the best fit for the Patriots.

Although, listening to Joe Pa rave about Greene's vision (with Lydell Mitchell comparisons), or the number of draft sites who love him, I may reconsider. Kiper says he's definetly worth a 2nd.

The reason I'd jump on him at 4.4 is because there hasn't been a 235 pounder who can run that fast in AGES. You can watch all the film you want, and when you watch Greene he's fantastic on film, but then you factor in, he's playing in a week Big 10, you don't know how good his OL is, etc. These things tend to detract from the film, where he excels. And, the Patriots don't even NEED a RB that high, really. The point is, 235 pounds and 4.4 speed, with good running ability which you see on film. Put all those factors together and you have one of the best RB prospects. You take him simply because he is far and away the best value on the board at 24. Not because you have a dire need at that position.

Obviously, I don't expect him to run anywhere near a 4.4. Mayock is closer to what I'm expecting (4.6).

Right but my point is a LT with a great 40 time really doesn't excite me. I'd be much more interested in his bench press.

Kenyatta Jones (with his 505lb bench press and his 31 reps of 225lbs)
says hello.

Kenyatta Jones (with his 505lb bench press and his 31 reps of 225lbs)
says hello.

To be fair, Jones put up awesome speed numbers too (5.01/2.91/1.76). It was the "playing football" thing that proved to be his achilles heel.

Personally, my favorite measurable for o-lineman is vertical jump.

To be fair, Jones put up awesome speed numbers too (5.01/2.91/1.76). It was the "playing football" thing that proved to be his achilles heel.

I thought it was the tiny thing between his shoulders that apparently only served as a place to rest his helmet.

I thought it was the tiny thing between his shoulders that apparently only served as a place to rest his helmet.

So perhaps his most astonishing combine measurable was the above-average Wonderlic?

So perhaps his most astonishing combine measurable was the above-average Wonderlic?

I think it was more a matuity thing than an intelligence thing. He struck me as a 12-year old in a 21-year old's body.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I'd be alarmed if a DB ran a poor 40 time, but I wouldn't necessarily be wowed if one ran incredibly good. Anything higher than a 4.6 would scare me off.

My point exactly. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft