PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms felt Faulk had 1st down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the angle showing the bobble and re-catch, note the position of Bullitt's hands near Faulk's helmet after the re-catch, then use the sideline shot to find the frame in which Bullitt's hands are in that position (after the catch).

You end up with this freeze-frame being one of the first ones after Faulk secures possession:

25oxh6u.jpg

does the ball look over the 30 to you in this frame?

Use the angle showing the bobble and re-catch, note the position of Bullitt's hands near Faulk's helmet after the re-catch, then use the sideline shot to find the frame in which Bullitt's hands are in that position (after the catch).

You end up with this freeze-frame being one of the first ones after Faulk secures possession:

25oxh6u.jpg

No it is 39 yards from the Indy 30 :)

Don't waste your time. This guy knows it was a gift but hey gifts happen. They just happen to the Colts more. The fact he is still here arguing it shows that psychologically he is trying to reassure himself. It’s a classic psychological reaction.

Christ, are folks really still getting on about this?

Turn the page already.

25oxh6u.jpg

this is something simms mentioned on the the dan patrick show.he said the timeout wouldve helped because referees wouldve had the clear reference of the 30 yard line in this case to spot the ball correctly unlike in other cases where its hard for replays to judge where the ball was.

this is something simms mentioned on the the dan patrick show.he said the timeout wouldve helped because referees wouldve had the clear reference of the 30 yard line in this case to spot the ball correctly unlike in other cases where its hard for replays to judge where the ball was.

No.. I watched on the NFLN it was way to close to call. there needs to be indisputable evidence to over turn it. there wasn't

and that pic? that shows where it first hits him, he instantly fumbles it, so that picture proves nothing.

again, FFS is it so much to ask that the Pats fans NOT blame the refs for every loss? this is the broncos game all over again. move on, it's over. get the **** over it. I expect a MUCH more balanced game this jan, assuming you guys make the playoffs. (balanced as in, not one team dominating a certain half)

Last edited:
It's a question of posession and forward progress. Did Faulk have both on that play? Nope, he didn't. Tough play, but you gotta move on. Give credit to Indy, they didn't quit when inferior teams would have, and they earned the W.

That said, the next time these two teams meet it is going to be ugly. I see a blowout in the playoffs. The Colts got the W but they (as a complete, peaking team) are nowhere near a Patriots team that is just starting to find itself. No homeristic hyperbole, if they meet again, it won't be within three posessions.

I'm confident it won't be a blowout in the playoffs. It will be won by no more then 3 points. both teams are going to go back and look at this game, and make their corrections. We had rookie recievers out there who constantly dropped balls. The colts will have Gonzo back by jan, who is much, much more reliable.

but thank you Jays52 for seeing that he didn't get the firstdown, and giving the colts credit. your one of the few pats fans I've seen admit that

Last edited:
I'm confident it won't be a blowout in the playoffs. It will be won by no more then 3 points. both teams are going to go back and look at this game, and make their corrections. We had rookie recievers out there who constantly dropped balls. The colts will have Gonzo back by jan, who is much, much more reliable.

but thank you Jays52 for seeing that he didn't get the firstdown, and giving the colts credit. your one of the few pats fans I've seen admit that

You guys won the game. At the end of the day that is all that matters. Continuing to chime in with either lies or an utter lack of cognitive reasoning is not necessary. You won the game. If the situation was reversed there is not a Patriot's fan alive who wouldn't ultimately say "we did win". However, the video is conclusive because every frame of the catch is visible. The exact frame where he has initial control of the ball and every frame after that which shows continued control of the ball is visible. The frame where control of the ball starts is clearly beyond the 30. That is all a fact. To dispute this is a lie and/or allowing emotion to get in the way of sound judgment. With that said the play (and the initial bobble) was close enough that the spot was not totally egregious. The Patriots should have completed the pass an extra half yard down field to be sure. When you make it close you open yourself up for this. Further, the Patriots let up on Indy and they too advantage of that (as good teams should do). That is the biggest reason why indy won and NE didn't. But you are lying on what you see in the video....

and we will have back:

ty warren
jarvis green
matt light
fred taylor
sammy morris

believe me, gonzo won't be enough. we can put light back at LT and he does well against freeney. Vollmer can play RT and block Mathis. That should give Tommy just a little bit more time to throw the ball down field. Plus Fred Taylor was playing better than Maroney before he got hurt so our running game will be improved.

No.. I watched on the NFLN it was way to close to call. there needs to be indisputable evidence to over turn it. there wasn't

and that pic? that shows where it first hits him, he instantly fumbles it, so that picture proves nothing.

again, FFS is it so much to ask that the Pats fans NOT blame the refs for every loss? this is the broncos game all over again. move on, it's over. get the **** over it. I expect a MUCH more balanced game this jan, assuming you guys make the playoffs. (balanced as in, not one team dominating a certain half)

iam over it not blame the refs. just a close play and we are just talking ..thats all.. ..no need to emphasise with "****". He juggles the ball and has his foot down beyond the 30 when he controls the ball..at least thats how i sawit. Anyway the ref who called the bobble had faukls back to him. I just wish the refs had conferred a bit. In fact if it was 2nd and 2,the refs wouldnt have thought this much about bobble's and all. My question, if the pats had challenged with a timeout being available and the call had been overturned how controversioal would it look. i dont think a whole lot.
Couldve gone either way and the refs somehow called it this way ..however they saw in high speed motion. .thats all. no problem in debating in a forum so need to get testy. you guys made the plays when given a chance and won...happy ?

Who cares - anyway you look at it the whole thing was the past 'lost' that game and handed it to Peyton - he's far too damn good to give the ball back to on the 40 odd and not expect him and Wayne to get it done

1. We should have had timeouts left. A challenge there and who knows what gets called. All season the Pats misuse of the clock (timeouts, delay iof game etc) has been poor. Go see how Peyton can get the Colts up to the line, audibe and make plays, far better than we can

2. At 3rd and 2, we should have pounded it twice, heck 2 QB sneaks would have done it. However with Neal out and Koppen being Koppen, the middle of the line was collapsing regularly

3. At 4th and 2, TB should have been looking at Welker, who had space. His speed and smarts means he's always the guy whos going to get quick seperation in a short yard situation

4. Faulk probably should have caught the ball straight up

As it was, well done the Colts, but the Pats blew that game straight up

Oh for Gods sake, he did NOT have the first down...
He bobbled the ball, going BACKWARDS.. therefore he never had control till he lands. the call was right.

Hmmm . . .

He bobbled the ball, going BACKWARDS.. therefore he never had control till he lands. the call was right.

Why the hell does every pats fan blame the refs for their losses? FFS God forbid the almighty patriots be defeated by the better team. and of course Simms thinks he had the first down.. dont u guys get it by now? the media f'n LOVES the pats. NFLN and ESPN eat, drink and sleep Tom Brady. Chris Collinsworthless jacks off to a pic of Brady everynight before bed.

In the end, the game should never have come down to the call regardless. You guys let up, and Peyton took advantage.
How about a nice warm cup of FU. It was a blown call, readily admitted in many circles.

I also believe your comment is ridiculous, as that blown call didn't cost the Patriots the game. It was a contributing factor, just like the Maroney fumble, just like the Brady interception and just like the fictional PI call.

You Colts fans are really beginning to **** me. You've arguably the greatest home and away Quarterback at your disposal and all you sooks do is whinge and complain about the Patriots and Patriots fan. The media loves the Pats? Did you miss the entire 2007 season?

Here's a suggestion. Shut up and talk about things you know something about.

Why the hell does every pats fan blame the refs for their losses? FFS God forbid the almighty patriots be defeated by the better team. and of course Simms thinks he had the first down.. dont u guys get it by now? the media f'n LOVES the pats. NFLN and ESPN eat, drink and sleep Tom Brady. Chris Collinsworthless jacks off to a pic of Brady everynight before bed.

In the end, the game should never have come down to the call regardless. You guys let up, and Peyton took advantage.

Um, the media hates Belichick... and the Pats. Why Colts fans think the media loves the Pats is beyond me. That's just a stupid line of thinking. How else can you explain how Spygate got so out of control? The media despises Belichick. Most people aren't aware that stealing signals is 100% legal and that it's videotaping them that is a rules infraction. But the media won't let you know that because Belichick makes their jobs so hard by the flat answers he does or does not give.

The media may drool over PLAYERS like Peyton Manning (who the media quite obviously has a huge crush on) and Tom Brady, but the Patriots as a team are pretty hated all the way around.

so thats it? just "it was a bad call"? why was it a bad call? please explain how he made the catch past the first down marker when he bobbled the ball and got knocked a yard short.. I'd like to know

he didn't bobble the ball. The ball hit him on his finger tips as he was opening his hands and brought the ball into his chest.

I have my opinion. It was a first. Most Pats fans feel the same. Most Colts fans feel it was not a first. There is a biased involved here. Why not take the opinion of people who do not have a biased opinion. Both Phil Simms and Adam Schefter feel it was a first down.

In the end, blame the Pats for wasting the TO's and challenges. I would of loved to see how the refs called this one if they were forced to review it.

correction, he had forward progress at the point that he secured the ball after the bobble, not when he hit the ground. Mike P confirmed this . . .

Phil Simms felt Faulk had first down.

Phil Simms feels like having as steak for dinner tonight.

Both of these things are equally relevant.

2 thoughts to share:

1) Glad that some in the media are willing to acknowledge the obvious. Dissapointed by the media members that rush to bring BB down a notch, savoring every criticism like a seven course meal at the Palm. They pat themselves on the belly once they're sated on BB's picked over carcass and tell us, well we've really over-discussed this in the media...EXCEPT FOR THE F---ING FACT IT WAS A F---ING FIRST DOWN. Smug Motherf---ers.

2) A question(s) about the referee administration of a spot challenge. When a spot is chellenged, the refs review the replay and place the ball based on what they see in the booth. Does this mean the ball is getting picked up and re-spotted no matter what, even if it ends up in the same place? Is the concept of "inconclusive" not relevant for ball spot challenges? I'm also under the impression that you can only challenge the spot to get a 1st down. So, if you don't get it you lose the timeout. I searched the web for how this rule is implemented but couldn't find it. If anyone has a link, i'd like to see it.

Phil Simms felt Faulk had first down.

Phil Simms feels like having as steak for dinner tonight.

Both of these things are equally relevant.

"Bob Dole is a friend of the tobacco industry. Bob Dole. BOB DOLE! Bob Dole. bob dole. bob dole." *sleeps*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News