PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Patriots, among many other teams, expected to make a waiver claim for Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT: Patriots expected to claim Moss

Next season. If he refuses to report to a team that claims him he cannot play for another team in 2010

Oh cool, thanks. So he'll probably report to the team that claims him. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

That number may get smaller as news of Moss's behavior gets out. Reports are the lunch lady for the Rams has made it clear in no uncertain terms she does not want Randy on the team.

He can report to Jets/Dolphins if they want to block us. When ball throw to him, he does not catch. Mess them up. until they release him.

That;s only he's sure Pats will sign him.

Oh cool, thanks. So he'll probably report to the team that claims him. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Depends. I think that there are only a certain number of teams that he would actually report to. A team that is in contention for a SB I think is the only way Moss actually reports

Depends. I think that there are only a certain number of teams that he would actually report to. A team that is in contention for a SB I think is the only way Moss actually reports

I think he'd report, earn his money, and play half-assedly if the team sucks and go into FA next season, but we will find out. I mean, he played 4 games for Chilly and he's practically the worst coach in the league.

And he said he loved Brett Favre. Do you think Moss actually picked the team he wanted to trade to -Vikings when Pats asked him where he wanted to go?

The best thing for Moss would not to be claimed. That way he can double dip!

So how many teams have passed up on him u think already?

I don't understand this story at all. There's no reason for the Pats to make a waiver claim since we'd only get him if everyone else passed. And if everyone else passes, we can pass and then re-sign him without being responsible for his contract.

The Pats may or may not be interested. But I can't see any reason to submit a waiver claim.

He should have thought about all of that when he was talking about playing for another team after week one. A 33 year old man in his 13th season shouldn't need that kind of wake up call. Also you list reasons why he wants to come back, how about what's best for the team.

I also kind of wonder how many lessons does this guy have to learn. I thought he learned his lesson after Oakland. But was that just the "Money doesn't buy happiness" lesson? And now the "Grass isn't always greener" lesson is something different?

I don't know. Moss is smart by all accounts. But this is something he just may not ever "get". Ever.

I don't understand why everyone is saying the Pats wouldn't take him off waivers even if they wanted him. Sure, if he became a FA, they wouldn't have to take his old contract, but what if Moss gets a better offer in free agency from another team?

How does this work?I am sure the bills have passed on him already also the cowboys.

I'm pulling for Oakland... then Moss can implode that locker room, help them tank the season, secure the #1 pick for the Pats, and then re-join the Patriots for the playoffs once the Raiders cut him again, ensuring that no team other than the Patriots will take a chance on him.

I don't understand why everyone is saying the Pats wouldn't take him off waivers even if they wanted him. Sure, if he became a FA, they wouldn't have to take his old contract, but what if Moss gets a better offer in free agency from another team?

Why would a team offer him more money if they could just submit a waiver claim and get to pay him less? Unless it's for a multi-year deal, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that now that Matt Millen's out of the league.

Why would a team offer him more money if they could just submit a waiver claim and get to pay him less? Unless it's for a multi-year deal, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that now that Matt Millen's out of the league.

Maybe not necessarily a bigger offer, but perhaps Moss wants to play for a team other than the Patriots. I suppose if that were the case, it probably would not be wise to take him either way.

I also kind of wonder how many lessons does this guy have to learn. I thought he learned his lesson after Oakland. But was that just the "Money doesn't buy happiness" lesson? And now the "Grass isn't always greener" lesson is something different?

I don't know. Moss is smart by all accounts. But this is something he just may not ever "get". Ever.

So what?

Absolutely no question if Randy comes back to NE this week he will be the "good Randy." Absolutely no question at some point he will turn back into "bad Randy." Only question is how long do we get "good Randy".

Don't sign him to an extention, just have him play under his old contract. End of the season offer him a one year deal. If that works out sign him to another one year deal. When he starts to turn into "bad Randy" cut him or trade him for another pick (assuming BB can find someone else as stupid as Brad.) If he walks at the end of a season we get a comp pick. Where's the down side?

When does this claiming take place?

I think he periodically forgets that lesson, though I question whether Moss is sincere about having it be more than about the money... part of the reason he was willing to re-do his contract post-Raiders is to play a "show me" season and earn it back and then some...

He says that it's not about the money - but then his actions show it's about the money...

I kindof wonder if Moss' internal lashing out with the Vikings was his way of showing his displeasure with the lack of a long-term deal... his raison d'etre for saying goodbye to the Patriots in the first place.

The things we're hearing about now are similar to some of the internal non-violent protests he apparently was pulling with the Patriots, prompting Belichick to "cut bait" with Moss in the first place.

When Moss went public Chilly had no choice but to respond by cutting him

I still think Moss wants a contract extension more than he wants to be back with the Patriots... by getting himself cut he may have re-shuffled the deck to a team that might take a chance on him and that's why a "smart" guy like Randy went and got himself cut today.

It's a long shot, but a better shot than staying with the Vikings nonetheless

I think no matter what Moss will have to be a good little boy at his next stop... especially if he hopes for a contract extension before the end of the season (and before a lockout)... there might be some team out there who knows this is their only chance to sign a guy of Moss' caliber

So effectively I think I'm saying that regardless of what Moss said about the Patriots, he'd happilly take another team plus a contract extension rather than return to the Patriots. He had no shot at an extension with NE and got himself thrown out, and got himself thrown out of the Vikings when it didn't happen there either...

At this point I'd say he'll be playing for his reputation in Free Agency at the very least and thus will have to be on his best behavior... ultimately this implies that Moss is in full control of himself and is manipulating teams by planned boorish behavior.... I guess in a way that does reaffirm him as a "smart" player

Last edited:

If nobody claims him, doesn't it mean that nobody wants him for $3.5 million? I would think that would be a pretty solid indication of what the market will bear.

It's all a very abstract issue, because multiple teams are going to claim Randy Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents