PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Brady ruling expected this week, litigation seen as inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really smells like Goodell is scared of Brady winning in court and is trying to make things as uncomfortable as he can in the hopes he can get Brady to settle.

This needs to go to court now more than ever.

Isn't that exactly what this a-hole said about the Wells Report? This is such deja vu.

I want a federal court to dig so deep this mess that they decide to suspend NFL operations until I don't know what, then all the morons of other fan bases will choke with the kool aid and turn against Goodell for this mess.

I'm really done, **** this, I have no expectations whatsoever for this season, it doesn't even look like late July when I'm usually super excited, I want the sh.it to be thrown at the fan with epic proportions.

Goodell was on record again saying there is no timetable for a decision, If there is no news this week I hope Brady's team files the injunction Monday 9am.
I'm not a legal expert but can he do that before the appeal decision comes down?

This really smells like Goodell is scared of Brady winning in court and is trying to make things as uncomfortable as he can in the hopes he can get Brady to settle.

This needs to go to court now more than ever.

Then Goodell has no integrity. If he really believes that the NFL will lose in court then he heard a lot of evidence in the appeal that showed how flawed the report was. And if that's the case then he should be honest with the public and "open" and take away the suspension. If he's really postponing this just hoping that Brady accepts the suspension then he's going about it all wrong. even if brady were to miss the playoffs because of all this delay its worth it to fight in court for his own honor. Remember his pregame speech for the super bowl? REMEMBER HIS SB SPEECH? ITS ABOUT HONOR, ITS ABOUT RESPECT.

Why are some posters angry that this isn't resolved before training camp? TC is Tc regardless of the decision, no?

Answer: There's a strategy, structure and organization to TC based on what they expect to be seeing in the upcoming season. FA's have always told the media how amazed at the detailed choreography of the Patriots TC practices and how thought out and mapped they are compared to other franchises.

BB doesn't just throw a bag of balls onto the field and tell the players, 'go play'. TC reps are going to be divvied up based on who they feel may be playing and when.

Not knowing whether Brady will be eligible for the first quarter of the season greatly affects the TC rep planning.

It's kind of a big deal.

Last edited:
What exactly does Jetdell mean by "WE," I thought he was the sole arbitrator?

"We are focused on it," Goodell said. "We are obviously being very thorough and want to make sure we consider all aspects of his appeal. We will make a decision as quickly as possible.

Why didn't the reporter reply with "ok. Why not spend a few hours thinking about it and come to a conclusion? You do know the longer you wait the longer brady will be held up in court if he decides to exercise his right to take you to court? And who is this WE you keep referring to? You stated it was you who handed down the punishment and you who heard the appeal. Are you referring to NFL employees or your lawyers?"

This whole thing pisses me off. It's easy to forget that they are doing this to their current super bowl mvp. the league wants brady to know he must not have gotten the memo that he isn't supposed to still be winning Super Bowls. The league wants brady to know that he was only supposed to win in 2001 because it was a great story after 9/11 and that he is standing in Andrew Luck's way for too long.

Last edited:
I just spoke with a co-worker who is a Cowboys fan but an honest observer.

He agrees that this looks vindictive by Goodell, and he also mentioned he thinks Kraft looks terrible from all of this.

Question: Why is it only Brady that is in trouble at a player level? Isn't there about a dozen other offensive players who could feasibly benefit or had been in cahoots with equipment managers (if you buy the league's story)?

Federal courts move slowly. You want time for a ruling on a temporary injunction, assuming that's the path taken by Brady and the NFLPA.
It would be pretty incompetent of the NFL to push a decision late enough for this to even be an issue.

First, Brady and the NFLPA probably won't have to wait for the NFL's appeal decision to get an injunction if the NFL pushes the decision close to the start of the season. The CBA has an absolute requirement that a decision on an appeal decision is made within a reasonable time, and considering there is no new information, pushing this decision into training camp when there has not been any new evidence in months seems like a pretty unambiguous CBA violation. So if Goodell slow rolls the decision and it gets close to opening week, Brady's legal team could have a pretty straightforward case if they sue for some sort of remedy, whether that is requiring the NFL publish an immediate decision so they can respond, or delaying Brady's suspension until a reasonable period after the appeal decision is made. Not exactly the sort of remedy you want hanging over a pending arbitration decision, but also not exactly the sort of publicity and uncertainty the NFL wants heading into the season either.

Further, if one of Brady's angles for a lawsuit seeking to vacate the NFL's appeal decision is that the appeals process was irregular, the NFL blatantly violating the CBA by delaying the decision right up to the start of the season changes this into a prima facie case. If anything, that would be great for Brady's chances of first receiving a preliminary injunction and then getting Goodell's decision vacated so he can re-arbitrate the appeal.

Goodell may push the limits a little and delay the decision to the start of training camp, but there's no way he and his lawyers are stupid enough to try a stunt like pushing this up to the start of the season, is there?

"Goodell may push the limits a little and delay the decision to the start of training camp, but there's no way he and his lawyers are stupid enough to try a stunt like pushing this up to the start of the season, is there?"

If there is one thing this whole affair has taught me, it's to never underestimate the stupidity of Goodell

Not knowing whether Brady will be eligible for the first quarter of the season greatly affects the TC rep planning.

It's kind of a big deal.
And Goodell and the rest of the NYJFL will do their darnedest to throw sand it the Pats' gears.

Though the majority won't change their tune I have to believe that rational human beings following this must be questioning at this point what the hell the NFL is doing. Goodell looks worse and worse by making this a huge deal and delaying the appeal constantly. Any objective, reasonable person should smell the stink behind what the guy is doing and potentially raise questions about the legitimacy of this investigation as a whole.

Let's not rush this. Its obvious that goodell is taking so long because he's carefully, meticulously reviewing everything that was discussed during the appeal to make sure that he makes a fair, just and unbiased decision that will protect the integrity of the NFL :D
"Integrity of the NFL' is an oxymoron.

What exactly does Jetdell mean by "WE," I thought he was the sole arbitrator?
They had to transcribe the details of Brady's appeal in crayon Goodell and crew could understand it. That takes alot more time than you would think. Especially since they had to condense it to simple words too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News