PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF: Meriweather Patriots worst defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more the expectations of being a starting-caliber DB on a good team. Especially when we're used to Milloy, Rodney, etc. Hell I'd even take Geno Wilson back over this guy.

Merriweather may indeed be the reason Patricia is moving over to coach the safties.

Merriweather's play in man is acceptabel, but is the BB soft zone he is a deer in the headlights. He never anticipates the throw and never gets over in time to break up or support the CB.

In the BB cover three that looks to a QB like cover 1, Merriweather is out of position so much that QB's who read the safties are stunned. (If we had anything resembling a pass rush, we could get a half dozen more sacks just by Merriweather playign the wrong defense and confusing opposing QB's)

Against the run, he is above average provided he shows proper tackling technique, BUT he is only above average if he is going forward. Force him to move laterally (ie: run off tackle), and all bets are off as to weather or not he takes the proper angle.

Can Patricia coach him up, I don;t know, but I do know the developmental cupboard is bare except for Chung.

So, you own stock in that site?

And, for the record, Meriweather led all safeties in number of snaps. So, no, PFF's interpretation would NOT fit with what happened during the season.

Chung had injuries.

Page had injuries.

Sanders plays Meriweather's position.

It would have been difficult for them to have more snaps than him.

His snaps did decrease as the year went on.

But, he'll be here next year. If Patricia can't fix him (and I believe that is a big reason why he's switched), then he wont be retained.

His snaps did decrease as the year went on.

IIRC that's not exactly accurate. And if he really was the Patriots worst defender, it stands to reason that Sanders would be better by default and hence the starting SS.

Last edited:
IIRC that's not exactly accurate. And if he really was the Patriots worst defender, it stands to reason that Sanders would be better by default and hence the starting SS.

In reality, we don't have a SS/FS.

It's Left/Right side Safeties.

Meriweather would be good coming down into the box, but his speed and playmaking makes him better in the open field.

Whereas Chung struggles in the open field but is Rodney-esque in the Box.

Sanders never seems to start the season as Starter.

But, mistakes and injuries bring him into the line-up as he is consistent. You rarely see a big play with Sanders on the field.

In reality, we don't have a SS/FS.

It's Left/Right side Safeties.

Meriweather would be good coming down into the box, but his speed and playmaking makes him better in the open field.

Whereas Chung struggles in the open field but is Rodney-esque in the Box.

Sanders never seems to start the season as Starter.

But, mistakes and injuries bring him into the line-up as he is consistent. You rarely see a big play with Sanders on the field.

Jack's point still stands, though, that if Sanders and Chung were both better, they'd probably be the starters.

With the keyword being if... Sanders and Chung were both better. Sanders will never be, Chung might be. That's not to say Sanders isn't useful intelligence wise or in that Big Nickel role out on the field. I wouldn't be surprised if Chung is better next year but he still isn't. His potential is great but Meriweather is still better. And it's like some people want to get rid of the guy that played more snaps than any other safety last year. He freelances and makes mistakes at times, but so does Troy Polomalu, he was terrible free lancing against the Patriots this year and in the SB.

Edit: And of course he's not Troy but a lot of safeties free lance at times, its part of the job that only a few do incredibly well.

Last edited:
I like Merri but given our depth at the position I think I'd give him up if a non-playoff team offers up a 1st. Too much value for us to pass up IMO... and the guy is a 2 time pro bowler somebody is going to offer him too much $$ in 2012.

To spend a first on what? Another safety that will need a few years to develop?

Don't overrate the guy. Only guy feared? I know he hits hard but that's not the only things that puts fear in teams.

and outher then he's big hits what is there to fear on a defense that was ranked 30th vs the pass and 25th over all and could not get to the QB

No chance any team would trade a first for Brandon. They have game films, too.

He is awful and clearly not probowl material. But not that bad lol

I doubt that we ll ever get a 2nd on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft