PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign former Rutgers, Dolphins DB Nathan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also used to return kicks...maybe they want him to help out with that as well?

That would certainly be a welcome bonus - though I believe the Pats shortcomings in that area has as much or more to do with their blocking as it does with whomever is returning kicks.

That would certainly be a welcome bonus - though I believe the Pats shortcomings in that area has as much or more to do with their blocking as it does with whomever is returning kicks.

It might be that BB values a JAG corner who is an above average ST player over someone who is just a JAG corner...although the "sorry I wasn't perfect" tweet suggests that there were other issues with Adams or that the coaching staff was not pleased with his performance this week.

And the balance of power in the AFC has just shifted.

I would trade him straight up for Revis right now.

I don't know; I've never heard anyone in the media call Revis "a good dude."

Lets be honest guys anyone who pushes Sergio Brown one more notch down the DB dept chart is alright in my book.;)

Hopefully he can avoid the injuries that derailed the last guy to wear his number with the Pats.

practice1.jpg

The photo makes me wonder if he had never met Belichick prior to this? I would assume he had, for a workout and interview prior to the signing. Or maybe he's just saying 'thanks for the opportunity, glad to be here'.

Some more on Jones: The book on Nate Jones - espnBoston.com
The 29-year-old Jones, a seventh-round pick (205th overall) of the Cowboys in the 2004 draft, has appeared in 101 games over an eight-year career. In 2010, he registered a career-high with 57 tackles while being utilized as both a safety (playing both free and strong positions late in the season for the Broncos) and slot corner. For a Patriots team that craves flexibility -- especially at two positions currently thinned by injuries to Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung -- Jones' ability to bounce between multiple spots, and contribute on special teams (59 career special teams tackles; has returned a handful of kicks) suggests he has a bigger chance to contribute to the gameday roster.

A couple things jump out about Jones' stats: He has twice as many career sacks (6) as interceptions (3) and both the Cowboys and Dolphins utilized him as a blitzer out of a nickel package. Heck, no one knows better than Brady, who got sacked by Jones during a 2007 meeting in Dallas. He's also forced three fumbles during his career.

Last edited:
this guy is going to surprise! ;)

another veteran back there won't hurt....

Per Jeff Howe:

Pats sign defensive back Nate Jones. The thing that sticks out to me would be his 59 special teams tackles.

So perhaps the move has as much or more to do with special teams than it does with play in the secondary.

Considering our ST players are now starters he could end up starting this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST