PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign C/G Mike Flynn, waive Ade Jimoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh. Aah.

OK, if he is so good, ready to start, why did the Pats sign him after some guy named Sene and Welbourne?

It's possible the transaction - Flynn for Jimoh - is very balanced.
Like everyone else, I'm sure hoping he is the solution.

But the Pats turned to Stokes, Welbourne, Connolly, and Sene before Flynn.
Really...I think this is quite a dumb way to look at things...looking at transactions as if they were in some fantasy football league is HARDLY what reality is. And that is really what you have reduced it to. Firstly, Connolly was with the team way before any injuries..he was on the PSquad last year and was added to the roster in the winter. Sorry but I find that very simplified question as if one is dealing with playing cards aor pieces of paper..and not undesrtanding many other factors involved. As if the team was looking for the exact same thing when they signed each of those players....give me a break!! I think if you spent the few hours talking to ANY GM you would understand a bit more about it.

If he's available, he couldn't be any good.:D

That is the problem - who is starting? Excuse me - who is healthy enough to start that does not really, really suck?

All Pats fans should be concerned with the health of an o-line that was basically pushed around in the SB. The O-line pass protection is crucial to the Brady's well-being - meaning the Pats success.

Who? LT
What? LG
Where? C
When? RG
Why? RT

Whas tha matta you? QB of course

Re: Pats sign C/G Mike Flynn

I'd venture to say the same thing about 10+ year vet LBs sitting by the phone all summer long. :eek:

Flynn was cut to save some money for a lousy team in re-building mode (in other words, looking to get younger; they also had a former second round pick to replace him at C). In June, he said he was 99% sure he was done with the NFL (retired). He's also said to have taken pride in playing for just one team.

Those don't look like sure-fire signs of a player who is done. Looks to me more like a guy who probably has a little left in the tank for the right team and the right situation (I don't know a ton about his play on the field though, just saying the ofoff seasontuff shouldn't be the reason for dismissing this move). I like this signing.

I'll add a little background with Welbourne too. He was part of the Great KC Offensive line along with Roaf and all the other probowlers. They all got old and retired, and Welbourne was the youngest, but he said he would retire too.

Herm and the GM went to his home and talked him into playing one more season, which he did. Then they let him go into retirement. He came out of retirement to sign here, and perhaps win a ring. So a valid ex-starter trying to eke out another year.

If you watched the Offensive line after Yates went down at the start of the Bucs third Q, it was like night and day.

The Pats couldn't run right before he came in and then were getting yards 4-5 at a clip, running right. All the pass pressure from the Buc left side stopped. Now it's true Welbourne was going against scrubs, but the difference was dramatic. IMHO he has ALREADY WON the starting RG position, off that Bucs second half play.

Flynn is going to be the swing C and hopefully G too. Russ Hochstein may or may not be heavily injured, but with both, they have great interior line depth.

Britt is close to being a starter, at both tackle spots and provides great depth at tackle. When Neal comes back in late midseason, or Ross even earlier, the O-line should be extraordinarily deep.

BTW, Connolly is earning a job as a swing G, but apparently not as a shotgun C. One more year on the PS and he will challenge, next year ...

If I were Matt Cassel I would be looking forward to a game for the first time. He has a a complete O- line and they will let him have more than cameos with the good recievers. The Oline will run the ball, to all sides, and protect him so he can throw too. And not constantly at 3rd and 15. Finally, an opportunity to show what he can do, without having his hands tied behind his back...

Last edited:
Why does everyone think a 10 year player is sitting around begging for a job?

OL are usually the smartest guys on the field so if a good situation comes along you sign. It's not like these guys were actively asking SF for a backup job.

None of these guys are named Joe Horn.

Re: Pats sign C/G Mike Flynn

I'll add a little background with Welbourne too. He was part of the Great KC Offensive line along with Roaf and all the other probowlers. They all got old and retired, and Welbourne was the youngest, but he said he would retire too.

Herm and the GM went to his home and talked him into playing one more season, which he did. Then they let him go into retirement. He came out of retirement to sign here, and perhaps win a ring. So a valid ex-starter trying to eke out another year.

If you watched the Offensive line after Yates went down at the start of the Bucs third Q, it was like night and day.

The Pats couldn't run right before he came in and then were getting yards 4-5 at a clip, running right. All the pass pressure from the Buc left side stopped. Now it's true Welbourne was going against scrubs, but the difference was dramatic. IMHO he has ALREADY WON the starting RG position, off that Bucs second half play.

Flynn is going to be the swing C and hopefully G too. Russ Hochstein may or may not be heavily injured, but with both, they have great interior line depth.

Britt is close to being a starter, at both tackle spots and provides great depth at tackle. When Neal comes back in late midseason, or Ross even earlier, the O-line should be extraordinarily deep.

BTW, Connolly is earning a job as a swing G, but apparently not as a shotgun C. One more year on the PS and he will challenge, next year ...

If I were Matt Cassel I would be looking forward to a game for the first time. He has a a complete O- line and they will let him have more than cameos with the good recievers. The Oline will run the ball, to all sides, and protect him so he can throw too. And not constantly at 3rd and 15. Finally, an opportunity to show what he can do, without having his hands tied behind his back...

Thanks for the info on Welbourne, Az.

Optimistically, I think you're right that when Light and eventually Neal return the depth on the offensive line could be a huge plus.

Pessimistically, I question how effective Neal will be and am afraid Light's injury is worse than advertised. Also, that Flynn and Welbourne have very little left to showcase.

Ah, F it! Where are my sunglasses?
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case