PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign Eckel, cut Spach, swap Dillard and Malone on PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats will play musical chairs with the 53 roster spot and

the practice squad all season long.

I think you're absolutely right. The roster will be BB's best friend this season, which no doubt means the NFL will soon send out a memo on this very topic.

I'm glad Eckel's back :)

With Brady the past year, the team ran mostly out of a three WR + TE/single back set.
The team was clearly designed around that format, with all these receivers.

With Cassel, the plan apparently (at least in the first game we have seen a plan for) included a lot of two-back formations.

You want a blocking fullback in for half the game, you probably want a backup fullback on the roster.

Special teams addition sort of makes sense as well. Guyton, Evans, and Izzo fill a similar role to Eckels/Alexander. But Eckels was good on special teams.

Dillard actually had a very good pre-season, especially the last two games.
I didn't even realize the guy was on the roster until the second pre-season game, and then he was making lots of good second-half plays.
He was waaaaay-hay-haaay down the depth chart. But nice that he's back on the practice squad.

Apparently with a bunch of 50 yard unreturned punts, Hanson has earned a week without competition.

If it were a matter of Maroney being hurt, wouldn't we be a lot more likely to bring BJGE back in rather than the human fireplug Eckel? BJGE seems like much more of a 'comp' back to LoMo in terms of running style. I'm with those that figure Eckel to be a special teams kinda guy.

Are the Jet's fans talking about their practice squad today? :p

Two TEs left, and none can really block. A little surprising since it looks like the team will be running the ball a lot. The must mean Watson is ready to return, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes