PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats players agree: Collins is a freak

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB agrees too, apparently, and even mentions Lawrence Taylor comparisons in terms of Jamie Collins' uniqueness and impact:
Jamie Collins is making all 31 teams who passed on him in the 2013 NFL draft look pretty dumb.

The linebacker is having a breakout season in this second year in the league, flashing the versatility that made him so attractive to the New England Patriots with the No. 52 overall pick. Collins, who’s known as the best athlete on the Patriots, has excelled as a pass rusher and in coverage, and he’s greatly improved against the run as the season has progressed.

“Jamie’s a smart kid. He’s another player that had a lot of experience, just not at the same position,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday. “He started as a quarterback in high school, then went to Southern Miss as a safety. They moved him to inside linebacker, then he played outside linebacker in a 3-4, then his senior year he played defensive end in a 4-3 and was rarely in coverage, but there’s not a lot of players at that level who have gone from defensive end to safety and quarterback in high school.

“I’d say looking at him coming out of college, you wouldn’t say that he was overly proficient in any of those areas, but I think you could see a lot of improvement in his play over the course of the year, like as a pass rusher, as a defensive end, he improved a lot in his senior year, but he only played it one year. Same thing as an inside linebacker, same thing as an outside linebacker, really even watching him play safety a little bit as a freshman. He was a quarterback in high school, so I think you could see that progression. But then every year they either moved him or they had a staff change that precipitated the the move, or a scheme change that precipitated him changing.

“Of course, as athletic and as talented as he is, he could probably play all of those positions now to tell you the truth. Even at this level. I’m sure he was an easy guy to move, dependent on what the requirements were on their team, and what players they had. He’s certainly grown in these two years. Again, he’s a smart player, and he’s handled all of the communication things we’ve asked him to do. He’s got a lot of different assignments. He can go from anywhere from rushing the passer to playing in the deep part of the field. He’s a versatile player who can handle a lot of different responsibilities and assignments, and the communication that goes along with that.”

There’s a growing trend of players like Collins in the NFL, who have the versatility to fill every role on defense. Even players like the Denver Broncos’ Von Miller and Oakland Raiders’ Khalil Mack, both of whom are excellent as pass rusher and run stoppers, can’t cover like Collins, however.

Belichick paid Collins the ultimate compliment by mentioning him in the same paragraph as one of the best players he’s ever coached, Hall of Fame pass rusher Lawrence Taylor.

Jamie Collins’ don’t — it’s not exactly like there’s two dozen of them in the draft every year,” Belichick said. “We’re lucky to have one. Was Lawrence Taylor a prototype outside linebacker? Where’s the next Lawrence Taylor? Those guys don’t grow on trees.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/bill-belichick-patriots-are-lucky-to-have-one-jamie-collins/

Not bad for a sub-only LB who was a bust as a 2nd round draft pick.

Last edited:
BB agrees too, apparently, and even mentions Lawrence Taylor comparisons in terms of Jamie Collins' uniqueness and impact:

http://nesn.com/2014/12/bill-belichick-patriots-are-lucky-to-have-one-jamie-collins/

Not bad for a sub-only LB who was a bust as a 2nd round draft pick.
After reading that article it reaffirms my belief that with just a smidge more improvement in all areas (vs the run, pass and a couple more sacks) he is THE best LB in football and a DPOY candidate.

After reading that article it reaffirms my belief that with just a smidge more improvement in all areas (vs the run, pass and a couple more sacks) he is THE best LB in football and a DPOY candidate.

To me the article highlights how difficult it truly is to evaluate prospects, given all of the factors involved. In Collins' case, playing for a bad small school team that went through changes in coaching staff and scheme, and being moved around. Trying to sort out whether the lack of technical development was an inherent flaw or due to factors outside of the player's control. Balancing the willingness to do whatever the team asks with the desire and drive to excel. 31 other teams passed, some more than once. Right now I'd rank Collins along with Ziggy Ansah and Sheldon Richardson as the best defensive players to come out of the 2013 class, and he may end up being the best of the bunch before he's done.

To me the article highlights how difficult it truly is to evaluate prospects, given all of the factors involved. In Collins' case, playing for a bad small school team that went through changes in coaching staff and scheme, and being moved around. Trying to sort out whether the lack of technical development was an inherent flaw or due to factors outside of the player's control. Balancing the willingness to do whatever the team asks with the desire and drive to excel. 31 other teams passed, some more than once. Right now I'd rank Collins along with Ziggy Ansah and Sheldon Richardson as the best defensive players to come out of the 2013 class, and he may end up being the best of the bunch before he's done.

Yep. I think BB summerized the thought process very well. He played ILB, OLB, S and QB. Hes played in a bunch of different systems and preformed at a high level. Hes intelligent and very athletic. Guys like that don't grow on trees.

Comparing him to LT...Woa.

Its funny. In the article BB mentioned QB as a position he could transition to. Is he the emergency QB with Edelman? ;)

One of the better things about this is Pats moved back and got him. Dolphins traded their 2nd round pick for Dion Jordan.

Why? Because Dion Jordan played at one of the current IN colleges Oregon. Collins played for an 0-12 Conference USA team

Side question- Who were the last two ILB teammates to each record 10+ sacks. Because I honestly think that's a possibility with Collins and Hightower.

Last edited:
Comparing him to LT...Woa.

I don't think anyone would get carried away enough to mention LT - it's a ridiculously high standard for any player to be even mentioned in the same sentence as LT. The fact that BB did so with Collins, apparently without any prompting, is quite interesting.

I don't think anyone would get carried away enough to mention LT - it's a ridiculously high standard for any player to be even mentioned in the same sentence as LT. The fact that BB did so with Collins, apparently without any prompting, is quite interesting.

I agree. LT was the one player that has lived up to the hype. How many other players have there been like that?

I don't think BB was comparing LT to Jamie Collins. I believe he's just pointing out how unique he is. And pointing out that players like Jamie Collins don't grow on trees. Still high praise of Jamie Collins.

I don't think BB was comparing LT to Jamie Collins. I believe he's just pointing out how unique he is. And pointing out that players like Jamie Collins don't grow on trees. Still high praise of Jamie Collins.

Agreed. I tried to make that clear. They are very different players. But the fact that BB mentioned them in the same paragraph in terms of how unique they were gives you some idea how highly he thinks of Collins, and views him as the standard-setter for his kind of role. After all, BB said that Collins could basically be anything from a full time pass rusher and DE to a deep safety. How many other players are there in the NFL who could do that? Zero that I can think of.

So apparently Jamie Collins is a fusion of Willie McG, Roman Pfifer and Tedy Bruschi, according to none other than Bruschi in today's chat:
ale (San Mateo): Jamie Collins is making plays everywhere on the field and improving. Which great LB do you believe he will potentially compared to some day? (e.g. yourself? Urlacher?)

Tedy: This is interesting because Jamie Collins reminds me of a lot of us rolled into one because of all the things he can do. He covers like Roman Phifer. He can rush the passer like Willie McGinest. He has a knack for making a big play when the Patriots ... I guess that was me, sort of. We all made big plays. Watching him last night from Mr. Kraft's box, I was Willie McGinest, and we were having a conversation about how great Jamie Collins can be.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51535

This kid is scary good, and he doesn't even fully know the game yet. When that happens LOOK THE F*CK OUT, NFL!

He looks unstoppable when he blitzes. I wished he was utilized more as a pass rusher but he's also good in coverage so I see the wisdom in utilizing him that way as well.

I think my favorite play of him last night was blowing up the run to the outside with one arm while getting blocked.

I think my favorite play of him last night was blowing up the run to the outside with one arm while getting blocked.

I don't remember but he was holding off a lineman with one arm and stopping the RB with the other right? Unfreakingbelievable.

I don't remember but he was holding off a lineman with one arm and stopping the RB with the other right? Unfreakingbelievable.
ya Hightower ended up getting the tackle but Collins completely blew that run up

He looks unstoppable when he blitzes. I wished he was utilized more as a pass rusher but he's also good in coverage so I see the wisdom in utilizing him that way as well.
Mayo's injury impacted this. Had Mayo been healthy, he could be utilized in coverage with an emerging Hightower in that regard, whereby Collins' versatility would show even more. This team only gets better next season when he returns and assuming we re-sign some key guys.

I think part of the effectiveness of his blitzes is that they don't do it all the time. The offense gets lulled into a false sense of security while he's out covering tight ends and such, then he bursts through the line so fast they're just not ready for it. Like a fastball coming high and tight after three straight curve balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back