PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats' Dentist Can Help Reduce Concussions ... But NFL Stiffs Him

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember this topic on mouthguards and the Pats' dentist coming up around the same time TJ retired...:confused:

i dont know if it would be the organization paying for this . im pretty sure dental insurance would cover it.

i dont know if it would be the organization paying for this . im pretty sure dental insurance would cover it.

Don't be so sure. Read the small print. Many plans (most) have exclusions for TMJ and nightguard/mouthguard coverage.......
Just my $0.02,

Don't be so sure. Read the small print. Many plans (most) have exclusions for TMJ and nightguard/mouthguard coverage.......
Just my $0.02,

Hoo-boy yeah. I've had to pay out of pocket for normal nightguards that were essential for my teeth, let alone a $400 model designed to prevent concussions -- which are out of the dental insurers' realm. :rolleyes:

regardless...NFL players can cough up $400 so they don't suffer long-term brain damage from concussions...

Hoo-boy yeah. I've had to pay out of pocket for normal nightguards that were essential for my teeth, let alone a $400 model designed to prevent concussions -- which are out of the dental insurers' realm. :rolleyes:

Irt's like bleaching and cosmetic dentistry ( I know I'm getting waaaaay OT here) If the insurance companies covered it, the cost of premiums would skyrocket. Insurance companies don't make money by paying claims but by not paying claims or by paying only those explicited listed in the contract. (perspective depends if you're a stockholder or the insured) As I posted before, the total cost of outfitting every player in the league with one would be $700K or the cost of one salary for a long term vet, certainly a small price to pay to keep your marbles intact so you can recognize your kids when you're 45 years old.
In that same vein, I'd like to see what kind of mouthguards are currently being used by players. There are essentially three types of mouthguards:
1) the stock mouthguard that you wear and is designed to fit every mouth. It's better than nothing but just barely.
2) The boiled mouthguard that is molded to fit the person's unique bite and usually protects pretty well. Esserntially you boil it, bite into it and hold it until it cures to fit your mouth.
3) Custom made mouthguard that is fabricated after taking an impression
and sending it to a lab. These are the most accurate and if combined with a bite can reposition the TMJ to a more favorable position lessening the chances of injury.
This dentist's design uses impressions and is designed differently but with the same intent.
End of dental lesson for today........

Last edited:
In that same vein, I'd like to see what kind of mouthguards are currently being used by players. There are essentially three types of mouthguards:
1) the stock mouthguard that you wear and is designed to fit every mouth. It's better than nothing but just barely.
2) The boiled mouthguard that is molded to fit the person's unique bite and usually protects pretty well. Esserntially you boil it, bite into it and hold it until it cures to fit your mouth.
3) Custom made mouthguard that is fabricated after taking an impression
and sending it to a lab. These are the most accurate and if combined with a bite can reposition the TMJ to a more favorable position lessening the chances of injury.

I can't imagine NFL players using either option 1 or 2. I mean even the kids up here in our youth league wear custom fitted mouth guards. I believe they're only allowed to use a boiled-type as a temporary measure if they're waiting for, or have lost their custom fitted one.

It isn't a rule that pro football players must wear mouth guards?
I know we were required to wear em in high school.

Yes, it is a rule. However, many of the mouth guards don't sit far enough back in the mouth and still allow the jarring to occur. The mouth guard the doctor has made, sits across the molars.

IIRC discussions on talk radio on this particular doctors mouthpiece by former NFL players said that it could help in blows to the head from the side but doesn't do anything to help blows from front/back.
Being somewhat pessimistic, I tend to believe that this doctor is hoping to get some mileage from this situation, for his own product. The answer to reducing the number of head injuries will inevitably be a combination of solutions including better head gear, education, and monitoring head injury reports. Meanwhile the NFL and players association will struggle with the potential Pandora's box of liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back