PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats close to the vest until Broncos game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Most likely everybody had the first two games circled as W's for the Pats, maybe even the coaching staff. Any chance they kept CJ and DG inactive for game 1 and possibly will for the Jets game as well so as not to give Denver any clue as to how they will use the new WR's? I would think the Pats could beat the Jets with the same players as last week and vanilla O and D game plans.

If it wasn't two guys who had missed most of (or all of) training camp, I'd say it's a possibility. But with them needing to be immersed in the Patriots system, I think Belichick would give them any shot he could to get out there and show what they can do. I think they'll both be back by week 3, but not by design.

RIP#40 said:
Most likely everybody had the first two games circled as W's for the Pats, maybe even the coaching staff. Any chance they kept CJ and DG inactive for game 1 and possibly will for the Jets game as well so as not to give Denver any clue as to how they will use the new WR's? I would think the Pats could beat the Jets with the same players as last week and vanilla O and D game plans.

Did you watch the game Sunday?

No - keeping things vanilla and keeping players inactive on purpose is not going to earn a Pats victory on Sunday.

Garbanza said:
Did you watch the game Sunday?

No - keeping things vanilla and keeping players inactive on purpose is not going to earn a Pats victory on Sunday.

We are talking the J-E-T-S aren't we?

If the Patriots play like they did last sunday they will be 1-1 leaving the Meadowlands. It's not preseason the Patriots gave it all they had last week and it was barely enough.

RIP#40 said:

Lets not be full of ourselves. The Jets arnt gonna roll over cause they are playing the pats. They are going off a win so they are feeling good and we are division rivals.

RIP#40 said:
I thought this was the NFL, where any team has an actual shot of beating any other team, and one W could mean the difference between going to the playoffs and going home for the season. No, Belichick isn't going to take chances and leave better players on the sideline.

Back and to the left!
Back and to the left!

Gabriel is no secret to Denver, remember the .gif shared by our pleasant Raiderfan visitor (as opposed to the many others who drop by) showing Gabriel snagging a pass, then one handedly tossing Champ Bailey aside? BB won't be using Gabe that much differently than Denver will be expecting.

I'll reserve judgement on Jackson the Chad.

You dont underestimate teams, no matter who. The Bills could have creamed us if they kept playing the way they were. With the same group as last week it will be a nail biter for a second straight week. And the Jets are better than the Bills.

Kdo5 said:
You dont underestimate teams, no matter who. The Bills could have creamed us if they kept playing the way they were. With the same group as last week it will be a nail biter for a second straight week. And the Jets are better than the Bills.

That is assuming that NE plays at the same level as they did for the first 38 minutes. If NE plays at the level they did for the final 22 they will win handily. NY's defense is not nearly as good as Buffalo's; not on the line, not in the secondary and not in the LBs.

I know this will sound a little homerish, but the comeback had more to do with NE's improved play than Buffalo's decline. I believe that those final minutes when the game was on the line and NE finally acclimated themselves to the regular season speed is the better leading indicator.

The only wild card right now is the whole Branch thing.

Oswlek said:
That is assuming that NE plays at the same level as they did for the first 38 minutes. If NE plays at the level they did for the final 22 they will win handily. NY's defense is not nearly as good as Buffalo's; not on the line, not in the secondary and not in the LBs.

I know this will sound a little homerish, but the comeback had more to do with NE's improved play than Buffalo's decline. I believe that those final minutes when the game was on the line and NE finally acclimated themselves to the regular season speed is the better leading indicator.

The only wild card right now is the whole Branch thing.
It's not homerish, and they're all good points, but they have nothing to do with the context. We're talking about would the Pats hold out players, on purpose, from a game that matters, because they are so confident in the W?

Pujo said:
It's not homerish, and they're all good points, but they have nothing to do with the context. We're talking about would the Pats hold out players, on purpose, from a game that matters, because they are so confident in the W?

I think that teams most certainly do this, but more often they will hold back plays rather than players.

Remember, Bruschi dressed, but was held out of a *playoff* game last year. He definitely could have played, but NE felt that they were the better team and wanted him to get healthier for the tougher matchup against Indy or Denver. They don't count any more than a playoff game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call