PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Day Two Reports (7/27/2013)

Ebner,Slater and Coles. 3 ST gurus.

Will there be room for all 3 on this season's final roster is the question. :(

I can't imagine team captain and Pro Bowler Slater going anywhere.

OTOH, Ebner and Cole are both signed for cheap money, but I expect at least one if not both of them make it. [Both Reiss and Yates, FYI, have Ebner but not Cole.]

I can't imagine team captain and Pro Bowler Slater going anywhere.

OTOH, Ebner and Cole are both signed for cheap money, but I expect at least one if not both of them make it. [Both Reiss and Yates, FYI, have Ebner but not Cole.]

In addition to Slater we typically keep at least 3 other players at LB,S or CB that make the team mostly on special teams play.
I'm not sure why this is confusing to people, we activate 45 players and only about 35-38 play meaningful snaps on O or D. Of course we will keep mediocre players who stand out on s/ts over better yet still mediocre players who do not.
Every team in the league has at least 15-20 mediocre players.

In addition to Slater we typically keep at least 3 other players at LB,S or CB that make the team mostly on special teams play.
I'm not sure why this is confusing to people, we activate 45 players and only about 35-38 play meaningful snaps on O or D. Of course we will keep mediocre players who stand out on s/ts over better yet still mediocre players who do not.
Every team in the league has at least 15-20 mediocre players.

Concur. I see no reason for Slater and Ebner to NOT make this team, and it's quite possible that Cole makes it as well. If Coach wants a particular player, he'll find a way to keep him, or else shift him onto the shadow roster.

Patriots Training Camp Day Two Reports

Replying to your post because I want to know too. My guess before training camp for a possible 3-4 lineup was:

Ninkovich-Mayo-Spikes-Hightower
Jones-Wilfork-Kelly

Now, with Collins emerging, I'm thinking Hightower takes over for Spikes and Collins slides in at LOLB.

If the team wants to run more 3-4, though, you have to wonder why the only nose tackles are Wilfork and some undrafted rookies.

Kelly can play NT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Chandler Jones is NOT a 3-4 DE at all it would be a waste of his talent playing him there, especially at his weight, he would be OLB in a 3-4 akin to Aldon Smith. although Arthur Jones would be a good pickup next season for the 3-4.

If its a 3-4 over base he'd be fine. Wilfork takes the LG and C leaving Jones in an individual matchup with the LT. That's what the Texans do with their under front to have Watt one on one with RT's so often.

Concur. I see no reason for Slater and Ebner to NOT make this team, and it's quite possible that Cole makes it as well. If Coach wants a particular player, he'll find a way to keep him, or else shift him onto the shadow roster.

I'd keep Cole over Ebner, I thought Cole was excellent on ST last year.

I'd keep Cole over Ebner, I thought Cole was excellent on ST last year.

I put Cole & Ebner on the same ST level. Slight differences, but were it me, I'd prefer Ebner. Can't say exactly why. More of a gut instinct, I'd say.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back