PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Top Five Best All-Time Draft Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is an indictment of BB the GM that only one of his drafts were ranked in the Top Five?
Well, consider their draft position since the arrival of BB. Starting with the loss of a Round #1 pick for The Hooded One. The article was about selecting good players. The modern Patriots are about building championship teams. I would argue that BB the GM has used the draft to win a lot of championships and, in that sense, has been very successful.

Two points:

First, to Ian, or whoever does this... that article was annoyingly laid out and took FOREVER to load/read. Five different clicks, five different images loading, not to mention I had to click twice just to get there in the first place... I made it to page 3 and then said the hell with it. FWIW... which may not be much. LOL

Second... while I'm one of those old guys who remembers those killer drafts in the 70's... the truth is:

No further discussion is needed.
And here I was thinking that saying there were a few factual errors in the article would be a bit brusque. Anyway, no problem now. There are some factual errors in the article. *whew* Had to be said.:p

Didn't detract much anyway.

I assume that this post is meant to entertain rather than to seriously dispute the characterization of BB as an average to above average drafter?

Obviously, we could take the reverse tack very easily (e.g. how does Belichick manage to land such great WR's in the 2nd round like Jackson, Johnson and Dobson, while buffoons like Kevin Colbert are foolishly trying to find play-making WR's in the 3rd round and later like Sanders, Wallace and Brown?) The kidding around in both directions ultimately finds BB in the average/above-average range as Jimke previously stated.

In addition to trying to entertain a bit, I was trying to point out that when BB's drafts are compared with those of other teams many don't factor in the enormous disadvantage BB has to overcome by drafting at the end of every round due to the Patriots 15 reign of excellence. Other teams have some years where they are good and others where they suck, and in those years that they suck they get high draft choices that can lead to difference makers. Just look at last year's final four: Denver had the number 2 overall pick in 2011 to get Von Miller (and number 12 in both 2009 and 2008), and the corresponding high position in later rounds also. Carolina had number 1 overall in 2011 (Cam Newton) and number 9 and 14 in the following two years. In 2011-2013 the Arizona Cardinals drafted number 5 overall (Patrick Peterson) followed by 13 and 7 overall.

The Pats own picks (apart from when BB fleeces another team by trading our number one for a future higher number one) have always been at the end of each round. And, if that wasn't enough of a disadvantage draft-wise, Goodell has robbed the Patriots of draft choice due to the ludicrous Camera-gate and the 1000 times more ludicrous Deflategate (don't get me started). When those factors are taken into account, when added to his absolutely top notch free agent skills it is my opinion that BB is the best GM in the game in addition to his coaching skills. I know others don't agree, and that is the purpose of this Board. :)

One question: Would you trade any of those draft classes for this group of men? Of course not. I clicked through expecting to find 2000 in the #1 position. I then went back to see how I missed it. Then I realized the author missed it. 2000 is the Patriots' Best All-Time Draft Class.
Obviously I would not trade any of those classes but that is due purely to missing Brady. The rest is a bunch of meh. There is a difference between a draft class which features multiple excellent picks and fantastic single pick. One pick does not equal an entire class. Brady is the single greatest pick in NFL history bar none. An entire draft class he is not which is what the article was talking about.

There you go. If you could choose any one of these drafts, you would choose 2000 -- it's the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back