PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots & Saints Joint Practice 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for keeping us posted....let Butler get his one bad day out of the way now instead of when the season starts :)

That kid on the left looks fishy, he's wearing a Brady jersey. What's the PSI on that football??? Looks a little flat. Troy Vincent says he deserves a 4 day time-out.
Some in the NFL don't think this nearly enough.

Is anyone else concerned that LaFell still has not seen the field at all? Aside from his obvious importance in the passing game, he is also one of my favorites on the team. It bums me out that he has been out this whole time, especially considering nobody really knew he was even injured and it was a bit of a shock (to me at least) when the story even emerged that he was in a boot.

Dobson being absent for so many practices (though I know he is still involved out there is some capacity) is also a bit frustrating. The kid could be a major weapon because he has all of the measurables. He just can't stay on the field, and I had a suspicion that the hammy would become a bit of an issue. I'm sure he'll still make the team, as Boyce a dreadful and Tyms has not really established himself outside of ST's, but it's still annoying.

I think Andrews is an ideal PS candidate.

Belichick reportedly called him 2x during the draft, and gave him 35k to sign. He'll almost surely stay in NE.
I'm not trying to hype him too much, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see him make the team. Every report I've read to this point indicates that he is doing a fine job in camp. With injuries being what they are, and Stork has already had some issues, I would not be surprised at all to see him make the roster . . . especially considering there's always a cut or two that catches us all off guard.

@MarkDanielsPJ: Patriots secondary opens up with the same grouping as the past few practices with McCourty, Butler, Chung and Harmon

Wait a moment. "Last few practices?"

That's sounding like a position move, perhaps just for one season or a part thereof, could be in the cards.

The Patriots secondary is still mixing and matching, but the starting group has been constant with Butler, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung and Duron Harmon. When the defense goes to the nickel, they put in Tarell Brown in the slow and he was outstanding with two deflected passes.The Patriots also rotated in Jordan Richards at safety with Chung and Harmon. McCourty continues to show his versatility in this secondary.

Also fits the idea that if the 4-5 best DBs are Butler and a bunch of safeties, then McCourty could play a CB role while Harmon plays what's been McCourty's position.

@PatriotsInform: Brandon Gibson has the most receptions today out of the #Patriots, from both Brady and Jimmy. Continues to quietly dominate.

So we have Dobson being treated like a guy the Patriots plan to keep on the roster.
We have good reports on Gibson and Harper.
We have Boyce VERY up and down, and Tyms not accomplishing that much.

WR continues to be complicated. But the base case seems to be Dobson and Gibson on the roster, Harper and Boyce cut (and I'm not sure which of them would make it through to the PS).

Wonder how much ****dell is getting verbally destroyed these two days.

So we have Dobson being treated like a guy the Patriots plan to keep on the roster.
We have good reports on Gibson and Harper.
We have Boyce VERY up and down, and Tyms not accomplishing that much.

WR continues to be complicated. But the base case seems to be Dobson and Gibson on the roster, Harper and Boyce cut (and I'm not sure which of them would make it through to the PS).

It seems as if the 5 are basically set:

Edelman
Lafell
Amendola
Dobson
Gibson

With the 'dark horse' candidates of Boyce and Tyms needing to do something special* to make the big squad.

*Yes, that could be via special teams, at least in theory

Edelman
Lafell
Amendola
Dobson
Gibson

With the 'dark horse' candidates of Boyce and Tyms needing to do something special* to make the big squad.

I don't disagree

Wonder how much ****dell is getting verbally destroyed these two days.

Good point. This isn't exactly a meeting of his fan club.

I don't disagree

I hear you, but how the hell did you get quoted? I didn't set it to do that....

Sorry to have drawn your attention.

Edelman-LaFell-Amendola-Dobson-Gibson is actually a really intriguing WR group IMO. Edelman and Amendola have a little bit of overlap, but I feel like the the most part, every receiver is bringing something a little bit different to the table. This group would allow for McDaniels and BB to really gameplan for the defense they're facing... You could play "small-ball" and feature Edelman, Amendola and Gibson in a short passing game, or you could posterize tiny secondaries with LaFell & Dobson + Gronk & Chandler.

Oh, the offensive possibilities...... Now all we need is a third-down back.

Don't be. I've never had you on Ignore, that I can recall, nor been particularly close to putting you on it.

I hear you, but how the hell did you get quoted? I didn't set it to do that....

You probably had him quoted for something you didn't post and it saved your draft (it'll even save just the quote if you don't type anything).

I want to see if Harper can string together this little run he has had. He is a long shot but he is showing a lot of effort and ability out there.

Is he PS eligible?

Edelman
Lafell
Amendola
Dobson
Gibson

Tyms played a lot of ST's last season and looked good as a gunner. What I don't know is if or what Gibson and Boyce are doing on ST's but I imagine how much they play on ST's will count a lot towards who makes the final roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft