PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 'part ways' with OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know why they didnt sub stork for andrews yesterday?

If I had to guess, Daboll from TE to OL and somebody new at TE. It appeared that they were training him for that job in 2013 when he basically was Scar's assistant, but then the TE job opened up too and he went there. If they want to send the message that improvement is needed, then moving a more established coach (and unanimously the top OC candidate if McDaniels had left) there would send a strong message. Of course, the concern would be that it's only a short term fix if he does indeed end up the OC in 2017.

Daboll was my thought also.

He's basically the most senior guy available who knows the system and, yes, he's the sort of guy who gets moved from role to role as part of his training.

As for Googs -- it's not just whether his bosses have confidence in him, but whether the players do as well. As badly as they played for him in their most recent games, I doubt they'd have a great feeling about continuing to have him as their coach.

This is good news. Hopefully we make the proper choice as a replacement. The O-line was a strength of this team just a few short years ago.

Good points, and part of why I think "The players surely have lost some confidence in him" is a relevant factor. I think that because of player doubts he would be LESS effective as a coach going forward than he's been in the past. So even if he wasn't as bad as his results ... I'm glad to see him go.

My prediction is Dante Scarnecchia is going to come out of retirement.

I doubt it. But I do think the next OL coach will spend a lot of time w/ Dante on the phone.

I know there are techniques and such but the bottom line is it doesn't take much brains to be an offensive lineman

It's not like there's a whole lot of plays these guys have to remember or routes to run. All they have to do is block the guy in front of them. Either they're good at it or they are not.

Players like cannon are not and no amount of coaching will ever change that.

I disagree emphatically. It is famously the case that OL have higher Wonderlic scores on average than almost any other position.

There are tons of stunts and so on that they have to diagnose and react to, despite what may be a difficult "viewing angle". And on rushes or screen passes, they often have to choose which guy who's faster than they are they're going to try to run down in space.

WebCite query result

I got the feeling he was this type of person. He is very out spoken. The above is a quote from him and shortly after Rex of all people fired the guy. If you can't work with Rex, you may struggle mightily with BB.
I will find the quote from the Do Your Job video I am referring to.

It sounds like, in his opinion, when he doesn't succeed it's not his fault.

My prediction is Dante Scarnecchia is going to come out of retirement.

Since coach salary doesn't count against the salary cap, I wish Kraft would just offer him something like double what he was making before.

I wonder if there is decent OL help in free agency that wouldn't break the bank.

Russel Okung, 28. ProBowler. LT.
Evan Mathis, 34. 2x ProBowler. OG.
Alex Boone, 28. 2x ProBowler-alternate. OG.

You need 1 or 2 pro-bowlers on the OL. They will also teach the young guys (ala, Brian Waters).

I didnt see this coming, Googs did a god job last season, drafting 2 big guards kind of enforced the direction the team was going regarding the o-line play and the unit was great until week 8 or 9 with 3 rookies inside.

The O-line was a dumpster fire in the last quarter of the season and it was at its worse yesterday, but apart from Brady and Gronk, I don't give anyone a pass, including the OC and the GM. Again this offense is predictable and got shutdown by a physical defense in the playoffs. Last year it took Brady playing like the GOAT against Ravens and Seahawks to win, and Lafell playing the role that we missed for a long time and again missed this year. This offense needs a huge investment in Wide receivers.

I am not convinced that Josh McDaniels comes back, I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses to leave to try establish himself without Brady and Belichick again. But saying that he probably stays
the dude made me miss Charlie Weiss. I know the lO-line was the main culprit yesterday, Why didn't he see that?Mcdaniels should follow th O-line coach out thedoor too.Still pissed. I'm in the Hospital recovering from a stroke.I Almost had another one while watching that travesty . I watched the game with a bunch of sick people. WE were all pissed by halftime. :mad:I'm still pissed today an d very bitter about it.:mad:

Last edited:
Russel Okung, 28. ProBowler. LT.
Evan Mathis, 34. 2x ProBowler. OG.
Alex Boone, 28. 2x ProBowler-alternate. OG.

You need 1 or 2 pro-bowlers on the OL. They will also teach the young guys (ala, Brian Waters).
Solder is fine at LT... Boone might be too pricey, Mathis is a maybe but I would be surprised

I think the interior of the line is not really a big problem, just gotta develop the young talent. The tackles are the issue... I would keep Solder, Vollmer is good but is getting too pricey for his age. Might be a cap casualty. Would like to keep Waddle too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST